bf1 crashes on launch

by themastercooker

Original Post

bf1 crashes on launch

★★ Novice

When I open bf1 i get a black screen with the loading icon in the top right, bt after about 2 secs it just closes with no errors and origin treats it as if i closed the game myself.

My specs:

i7 4790k

gtx970

16gb ram

I have submitted an origin error report with id 0cc43f1570182e82

Is there any fix for this?

Message 1 of 4 (8,434 Views)

Re: bf1 crashes on launch

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Hey there @themastercooker

There are a few reasons why this may happen but here are the most common issues.

- Run the game as an administrator.

Go to the game's installation folder. Default would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 1. There you should have a file "bf1.exe" (May just display as "bf1" depending on your settings). Right-click it, and choose "Properties". From there, click the "Compatibility" tab. Then near the bottom of that page, tick "Run this program as administrator" . Then click Apply, and OK.

- Repair your installation.

On Origin, click "My Game Library", right-click on Battlefield 1, choose "Repair". This may take a few moments.

- Update your display drivers.

Go here, update your drivers: https://www.geforce.com/drivers

- Update your Windows.

You can follow this guide under the "How do I keep my PC up to date ?" in order to update your Windows manually: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

- Update your .NET Framework.

You will need at least version 4.5 of .NET Framework. Windows Update generally should update these manually, but you can find the download links from here: https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/framework

- Make sure you have all the VC++ Redistributables needed.

The required VC Redist's should come with BF1's own installation so you can just manually run these and see if it would help you out. The default folders for these files are as follows:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 1\__Installer\vc\vc2012Update3\redist\vcredist_x64.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 1\__Installer\vc\vc2013\redist\vcredist_x64.exe

Be sure to right-click them and choose "Run as administrator" to ensure they get installed properly.

- Try running on Clean Boot to ensure no software or such gets in the way of the game.

Here is a guidance to that: https://help.ea.com/tr/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

- Scan your system for any system errors.

Hold CTRL+Shift+Esc to open up a Task Manager. From there, click "File", and then "Run new task" . Write there "cmd" , and tick the "Create this task with administrative privileges" . Press OK. This should open up a black box. Write there "sfc /scannow" without the " "'s and press OK. Follow any instructions given, such as restarting the computer when/if prompted to do so. This may also take a few minutes.

- Try to manually tinker with the default settings file.

Hold down Windows-button and press R to open up a "Run" window, or use the Start menu to access it. Write there "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Battlefield 1\settings\" and press OK. This should open up the folder where your settings files are located in. The important file here is the "PROFSAVE_profile" .

Back this file up before doing any changes to it, just in case. Right-click it, choose Copy, and Paste it for example to your desktop.

Open up a Notepad. Easiest way would be to again hold down Windows-button and press R to open up a "Run" window, and write there "notepad" and press OK. Now, left-click the PROFSAVE_profile file, and drag it into the Notepad window and it should display you a bunch of text.

Alternatively you can just double left-click the PROFSAVE_profile file and Windows should ask you what to open the file with, and choose "notepad" from this list. You can also choose "WordPad" from the list and it will display the text in a bit more neat manner for you. Either is fine.

What we're interested in finding from this list is these lines :

• GstRender.Dx12AutoDetect
  • GstRender.Dx12Enabled
  • GstRender.Dx12KillSwitch
  • GstRender.CyclicCrashPrevention
  • GstRender.FullscreenEnabled
  • GstRender.FullscreenMode
  • GstRender.FullscreenScreen

On a Notepad you can press CTRL+F in order to open up a Find-function which helps finding these as the text isn't formatted so neatly.

Anyways, you can see a number value after each of these. Change these to the following:

• GstRender.Dx12AutoDetect 0
  • GstRender.Dx12Enabled 0
  • GstRender.Dx12KillSwitch 0
  • GstRender.CyclicCrashPrevention 1
  • GstRender.FullscreenEnabled 0
  • GstRender.FullscreenMode 0
  • GstRender.FullscreenScreen 0

Now just save the file, and see if it would help you any. If it doesn't you can try outright deleting this file and running the game again to see if it works as this should force the game to manually create a default profile file which should at least ensure everything should run with default settings. If nothing does work, just copy/paste the backupped file from your desktop or wherever back into this folder so that we're at least back to the starting point 100% surely.

If none of this helps, please provide us your DxDiag following this link and we'll try to see further if we can find out what's going on: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Good luck !

Message 2 of 4 (8,420 Views)

Which OS are you running? Did this start after a windows update or driver update?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 3 of 4 (8,363 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Reinstall ORIGIN Client. Standard smile

Message 4 of 4 (8,034 Views)