Re: You Must Be Online When Logging In For The First Time

by adamrs365

Original Post

Accepted Solution

You Must Be Online When Logging In For The First Time

★★ Novice

Hey,

I recently did a steam update and since i did it broke it and now all i get when i go to login is: 'You Must Be Online When Logging In For The First Time'

I am connected to the internet with no proxy, no vpn and firewall is disabled to test it.

I have tried the cmd winsock reset command and i have tried restarting and even re-installing and i still get the same problem.

Any ideas/solutions?

(Having just brought some more games this is really frustrating, at least steam still works)

Message 1 of 96 (68,043 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Newbie

Check your system time and date - If they are out, it will result in a "Must Be Online" error, even if your compter is speaking to the server just fine...

Hope this helps Standard smile

View in thread

Message 3 of 96 (68,682 Views)

★★★ Novice

Try this link, it didn't work for me, but it may work for you guys.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8897332.page

The problem was my ESET 5 software. What I had to do was:

1. open ESET 5
  2. click setup (you should see this)
  3. enter advanced setup
  4. expand "web and email"
  5. expand "protocol filtering" (you should be seeing this)
  6. expand "SSL"
  7. Turn off SSL filtering

The second option probably isn't the ideal solution, but I've had no problems logging in since. I'd recommend you try the first option before the second.

View in thread

Message 10 of 96 (65,743 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

To expand on what frambinni posted above...and why that works.

Origin creates a secure tunnel to the login server using a standard HTTPS request on port 443. This is similar to any website that uses a secure (SSL) connection.

If you are running security software, Windows Firewall or an aggressive router that is actively blocking non-browser applications from using SSL/port 443, you will get this error.

Here's a quick way to check if your port is blocked:

1. Go to a site like http://www.ipchicken.com/ or whatismyip.com to get your external IP address.

2. Copy that IP address and enter it here:http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

3. Enter 443 in the port number field and click the Check button.

This will tell you if your local machine or network is blocking secure traffic.

View in thread

Message 11 of 96 (22,416 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Have you checked the ports? 

Some of the things that can get between Origin and the internet can be:

• Firewalls and Internet Security Software: Make sure that you’ve added the Origin client as an exception to any Firewalls or other Internet Security Software, like Ad-Block, you may have running so that your connection to our servers isn’t blocked.
  • Your software may even have some internet ports blocked. If so, the following are used by the Origin client and must be open for a smooth connection:
    • TCP: 80; 443; 9960-9969; 1024-1124; 18000; 18120; 18060; 27900; 28910; 29900
    • UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 29900

https://help.ea.com/article/connection-issues-with-origin#1

Also check your addon's/extensions/plugin's  I know my Norton added a new plugin and didn't bother to let me know... as software usually does ... I disabled it and all was well again.

I'd disable anything I could & start working backwards to rule out what may be blocking it, something surely is...

Good Luck!

---------------------------。 ◕‿◕。------------------
    ►►► ✔ Please don't forget to resolve your question if this helps and Click XP if someone helped! ◄◄◄

View in thread

Message 42 of 96 (23,160 Views)

★★ Novice

Guys, i found a fix that worked for me if none of the others worked for you, just type in firewall in start and find "allow app through firewall" click on it and click add app, then browse through your files and find origin app (not the installer) okay, hope it works good luck.

View in thread

Message 46 of 96 (22,897 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

There seems to be an issue with the new Origin: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/CAN-NOT-LOGIN-WITH-Origin-9-0/m-p/5534/message-uid/5534#U5534

The same issue probably applies to Steam

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 96 (67,789 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Check your system time and date - If they are out, it will result in a "Must Be Online" error, even if your compter is speaking to the server just fine...

Hope this helps Standard smile

Message 3 of 96 (68,683 Views)

★★ Novice

check antivirus

Message 4 of 96 (67,520 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Love you so much man had the same problem checked date and time and they were wrong. Set them up properly and problem solved, cheers dude Standard smile

Message 5 of 96 (66,231 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had this problem to, except I was logging in for the first time and I was online!

Message 6 of 96 (66,222 Views)

★★★ Novice

how do you edit the time? well actually I know how, but how do you know where to find the right time?

Message 7 of 96 (66,116 Views)

★★ Novice

Thankyou mate this was the issue for me, after what seemed endless searching on google it was something as simple as the date unbelievable!! Standard smile

Message 8 of 96 (65,146 Views)

★★★ Newbie

After trying loads of things (time/date, host files, uninstalling, switching off firewalls and antivirus etc etc etc..) my final call was to uninstall my antivirus (under extreme duress), ESET 5, and whamo! it worked. this can't be the final solution.. I want to put it back on again asap! EA, please fix this bug, it has been going on for sooooo long now, it's starting to get ridiculous :manfrustrated:

Message 9 of 96 (64,835 Views)

★★★ Novice

Try this link, it didn't work for me, but it may work for you guys.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8897332.page

The problem was my ESET 5 software. What I had to do was:

1. open ESET 5
  2. click setup (you should see this)
  3. enter advanced setup
  4. expand "web and email"
  5. expand "protocol filtering" (you should be seeing this)
  6. expand "SSL"
  7. Turn off SSL filtering

The second option probably isn't the ideal solution, but I've had no problems logging in since. I'd recommend you try the first option before the second.

Message 10 of 96 (65,744 Views)