Titanfall 2 keyboard problems

by Robolon

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Titanfall 2 keyboard problems

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello,

The language on my computer is set to german, I also use a keyboard with german layout and I have repeatedly configured my layout with windows to german. I have already gone so far, to set it to german within the registry for the user I use, as well as the default for this system.

While I play Titatanfall 2 (I already had this problem with the original TF) the the layout setting is switched to English (US-layout), so I tab out of the game and set it back to german, because I want to write something in the chat now and then... After playing a while, it switches to english again. So I tried to set the layout for the english to german, but it just creates another option with English (US-layout). I am switching the layout in the windows-status bar, right next to the clock. Removing the english option from the system also doesn't help. It just gets added again. 

As you see, in the screenshot, there are three options:
1) Germman (german-layout)
2) English (german-layout)
3) English (us-layout)

I have to note, that I have TF2 installed in english, because I really hate the german translation...
Also I only get this problem with Titanfall 2 and Titanfall. All the other games I play (Battlefield 1, Battlefield 4, Battlefield 3, Overwatch, Far Cry Primal, ...) don't cause this problem.

Message 1 of 8 (4,501 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Titanfall 2 keyboard problems

★★ Novice

For me  deactivating the shortcut for switching between layouts works, as my main problem was that I accidentially hit it when sprinting and crouching on SHIFT and CTRL. I still haven't found a way to stop the game from adding another language to the system. I hope you can find a solution to your problem. I am looking forward to read about your solution.

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (4,623 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hmm, do you use the default  control method? A common default shortcut in Windows is to press Left Ctrl & Left Shift together, it'll cycle through your keyboard languages. 

With crouch/slide set as Ctrl, and Sprint set to Shift by default, I can see it being extremely possible to accidentally toggle the language while playing. Could this be happening? Can you try setting a different bind to crouch/sprint and see if the issue still manifests. I do this anyway to save my pinky from fatigue. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 8 (4,481 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks, this could happen.

I will try and change my controls.

Message 3 of 8 (4,475 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm also having this problem with Finnish input method. Though only one input method is used in Windows, Titanfall 2 always adds en-US and selects it as active input method. After running the game, US input method only shows in language bar of the notification area - not in the Control Panel settings.

Disabling Windows keyboard shortcuts for changing the active input method didn't fix the problem.

Message 4 of 8 (4,404 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

meanwhile I have found a solution.
I will post the link here:

https://superuser.com/questions/976947/keyboard-language-keeps-changing-in-windows-10

The post says:

Spoiler
"

In Windows 10, by default, pressing CTRL+SHIFT will cycle through any keyboard layouts that you might have mapped and it's surprisingly easy to do this by mistake.

If you keep pressing CTRL+SHIFT (or whatever you might have changed it to) then soon you should get back to the correct setting. (alternatively reboot which is what I did first time ;-) )

You can disable this default keyboard action as follows:

Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Language > Advanced settings > Switching input methods > Change language bar hotkeys > Change key sequence... > Switch keyboard layout > Not Assigned

from 2016 onwards location has changed. (from comments)

Control panel > Language > Advanced settings > Switching input methods > Change language bar hot keys

Be warned, the above doesn't always work - Restarts and Sleep mode can both change keyboard default (usually to US) - I've found no cast-iron solution though creating a new profile can help, though not a particularly satisfactory answer IMHO.

In an emergency

WIN+R  
osk

to bring up the On Screen Keyboard might help temporarily."

For the last hour it seems to work fine. 

Message 5 of 8 (4,386 Views)

★★★ Novice

Changing Windows input language hot key sequences does not resolve this issue. It is not possible to edit Windows -key hot keys like WIN + SPACE. So when I accidentally push Windows key and space, input method is toggled.

The actual problem still persists:

Every time Titanfall 2 is launched English (US) -keyboard layout is added to Win10 input language list (and can be accidentally enabled). Keyboard language is only visible in Language bar, not in the Settings or in the Control Panel.

Message 6 of 8 (4,374 Views)

★★ Novice

For me  deactivating the shortcut for switching between layouts works, as my main problem was that I accidentially hit it when sprinting and crouching on SHIFT and CTRL. I still haven't found a way to stop the game from adding another language to the system. I hope you can find a solution to your problem. I am looking forward to read about your solution.

Message 7 of 8 (4,624 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello @Robolon and thank you for sharing this solution with us. As for the second issue, I will forward this post to our expert team to look into. 

Cheers, 

Archi

Archi.png
Message 8 of 8 (4,309 Views)