The Sims 4 video card error

by Kristin9898

Original Post

Re: The Sims 4 video card error

Hero (Retired)

@Natsumi08  To explain this is a bit tricky. First you have to find the games executable that launches the game (TS4.exe or TS4_x64.exe). This could be in different place depending on your computer Whether you installed from disc or you installed from digital download or installed to a different location. Once you find the executable right click on the file and and click properties - there should be a tab labeled compatibility. This is where you can enable the game to run in a compatibility mode.

Message 171 of 303 (1,040 Views)

★★★ Novice

I hope that might helkps you, but once again I have restarted my system, and once again I am getting the same error and I cannot get it the game to load. As much as this might be a Windows 10 problem, the team for EA needs to get this fixed. They fixed the swim laps problem just to create all the sound systems to constantly create the music playing playing iomage to play, and they have not done anything to address this game not recognizing video cards for really no apparent reason. FIX THE F**CKING GAME ALREADY!!! I have every DLC from this version and the Sims 3 version. Is that not enough to address a major f-ing game breaking problem?

Message 172 of 303 (1,033 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Grantdawg357  Your system is probably about 8 years old. The cpu does not support turbo. The video card IS in the game database. You could have some capacitors starting to fail. Occasional issues that come and go may indicate capacitors starting to fail on the motherboard or power supply. Bulging and/or leaking capacitors should be looked for. when I start having issues with a computer that has DDR2 memory it may be time for at least a newer motherboard.

Message 173 of 303 (1,016 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is too old and out-of-date. I have a GPU and it seems to not like it. I have NVIDIA GTX 970. I also updated my drivers. Still get the same thing. I think the game is broken when it's free from Origin Access.

Message 174 of 303 (895 Views)

Hero

Hi @JonnyCrazyhound

please try the following things

1. See if it starts in Windowed Mode: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode/
  2. Turn off Origin In Game
  3. If you have a dual graphics system, make sure the game runs on the card and not the chip
  4. Uninstall and reinstall your graphics drivers
  5. Rollback to earlier graphics dirvers

Test after each step

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 175 of 303 (890 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice
I was in the mood to play last night and got this error. I read through this whole thread and tried everything except an uninstall/reinstall of the TS4. None of it worked and I know my computer isn't the problem because I just built it this spring so its not outdated and TS4 worked on it a month ago.

After 3 hours of frustration last night and this morning the thing that fixed it for me after doing all that was turning off "game mode" in the win10 settings and starting the game in windowed mode on low settings. Once the game started I put the graphics back up to ultra and "windowed fullscreen". Fullscreen mode caused the error again. Don't know why but it doesn't like it.

I don't seem to have sound however but I think that's a problem with my tv or hdmi cable since I had that happen with another game yesterday.

So maybe in that list of things to do to fix it suggest starting the game in windowed mode on low graphics settings? Sometimes the fix is something small and simple.
Message 176 of 303 (865 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but i just recently got the sims 4 and I'm receiving the same note when i open the game:

Can't run The Sims 4 with the video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and that the latest video drivers are installed.

[oe61221:1df4e8dc:0000000]

Message 177 of 303 (840 Views)

Hero

Hi @stewartk

your card is fine, should work with that

please try the following things

1. See if it starts in Windowed Mode: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode/
  2. Turn off Origin In Game
  3. If you have a dual graphics system, make sure the game runs on the card and not the chip
  4. Uninstall and reinstall your graphics drivers
  5. Rollback to earlier graphics dirvers
  6. Right click on the game in Origin and press repair game

Test after each step

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 178 of 303 (826 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I was getting the video card error, my game was fully updated and playable the night before I got the error and everytime i clicked the play button the video card error showed up. I right clicked the sims 4, game properties made sure enable origin in game was unclicked... no change still got the video card error...I then clicked update game. It made a small 158mb update then the game actually started.. couldn't believe it.

Message 179 of 303 (806 Views)

★ Novice

I'm so happy! It's working again gfgfdgfd. thanks !

Message 180 of 303 (785 Views)