Re: Slow Download Speed

by Groverx08

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Slow Download Speed

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I've seen this posted a number of times but I haven't seen any real answers to this. Why is the download speed so ridiculously low? I have Steam as well and I can download games usually at 4-5 Mb/s but on Origin I'm lucky to get 500 kb/s. The other threads have the usual advice about forwarding ports, adding exceptions in firewall/anti-virus, restarting Origin etc., but that doesn't fix the issue for me or for most others seemingly and I don't understand why that is needed for Origin. Clearly it shouldn't be since Steam (Origin's direct competitor) can figure this out without those workarounds, so what is the issue? I have also tried using the R&D mode by making the EACore.ini file which had no effect. I'm just so frustrated and confused.

Message 1 of 6 (1,648 Views)

Accepted Solution

EA DICE Team

@Groverx08

Unfortunate - I really thought that would do the trick!

I do have one more tip of trying a clean boot which I didn't see mentioned in your post yet.

Should that not help then I'm afraid that we then have to immediately jump to the worst case scenario, which is your internet provider throttling Origin's download speeds. I've seen this happen quite often and the only solution for this is to contact them directly to have this changed.

And do let me know if my tips work out for you.

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (1,848 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

@Groverx08

Please don't use the R&D mode as this usually causes more issues than it fixes.

If Origin isn't download at its proper speed then what you can try is to remove all your devices from your network; e.g. kindles, laptops, smartphones, consoles etc.

Once done, remove your modem from the power for about two minutes. Now only start up the modem and the system used for the download. Run Origin and make sure that no other programs are running - your download should now be at full speed.

I had the same issue as you had and this helped me resolve it. It seems that some programs or devices running on your network take up much more bandwidth than expected - even if they seem idle.

Message 2 of 6 (1,612 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately this didn't work for me.

Message 3 of 6 (1,608 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Groverx08

Unfortunate - I really thought that would do the trick!

I do have one more tip of trying a clean boot which I didn't see mentioned in your post yet.

Should that not help then I'm afraid that we then have to immediately jump to the worst case scenario, which is your internet provider throttling Origin's download speeds. I've seen this happen quite often and the only solution for this is to contact them directly to have this changed.

And do let me know if my tips work out for you.

Message 4 of 6 (1,849 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Had the same issue, you need to change your DNS to one that is local, and this will cause the Origin CDN to use the nearest to you, if you or your ISP uses Google DNS or OpenDNS Origin will select the nearest server based on where the DNS is located.. changing it via Windows IPv4 settings just for the download should do it, you can always revert once the download is complete!

Message 5 of 6 (1,578 Views)

★★★ Novice

I think the issue was my ISP throttling my internet. Started having other issues with my internet soon after and a call to them seems to have fixed it up. Thanks!

Message 6 of 6 (1,571 Views)