Running Origin on Windows 8

by wdtvandsound

Original Post

Re: Running Origin on Windows 8

★★ Novice

I had the same problem. Solution: If you have EVGA precision, MSI Afterburner, or any other program with Riva Tuner OSD (On Screen Display) you need to add Origin to the list of programs and change the application detection level to "none"... THERE FIXED!!

Message 11 of 76 (11,772 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I has a problem with launching Origin from a upgrade from 7 ( with it installed and working) to 8 and a fresh install of 8. It would open up as per normal but almose stright away would say it had crashed and was given options to restart or quit. I was troubleshooting another issues where i was installing C++ (x32 & x64 versions) and after a restart origion was able to boot but gives me the licience agreement to agree to then it will launch. I then had a BF3 launching issue that was fixed by adding the game to the outgoing options in the firewall. 

now the only problem i have now is with origin asking for the licence agreement evey time I open the program. have tried to open it in admin and compatabilty mode but it has the same problems still. 

Message 12 of 76 (11,719 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Origin work fine in Windows XP Service Pack 3 Compatibility Mode for me.

Message 13 of 76 (11,688 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Great isn't it. Anyone that buys a new PC can not run any games delivered by Origin.

Can only hope that they go bust and the gaming world gets a new company who develops software on current operating systems.

Message 14 of 76 (11,125 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Short wer.
Install win 7/xp and orion -  on a other harddisk (HD) - then start up in win8 - and run origin....

Long wer

I have found a way to solve the problem...

U nead a free HD.

Disconect all HD from PC - and insert the free HD.
Install win7/xp/... and install origin.

Reconnect all HD inkluding  win 8

Now its posible to start origin -

Have fun... Prylle

Message 15 of 76 (10,454 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have windows 8, and my old computer was really laggy, so I decide to install Origin on my new one. When I ran the installer, though, nothing happened. The mouse did that whirly thing that it does when somethign is loading for about 2 seconds, and then nothing happened. I tried redownloading and nothing happened. I can't go into any files on Origin because without installing, all I have is the installer. I have a security system, but it should say "Something tried to access files in your computer. Do you want to allow this?". Help, please.

Message 16 of 76 (10,423 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi guys!

Had the same problem with Win8 and Origin. That's the way how I solved it:

1) If you tried to install Origin already, please remove it completely. Don't use the installer for this - my advise is to do this via the control panel of Windows.

2) Download the Origin-installer from EA.

3) BEFORE you start the installer, right-click on the file - got to the "compatibility"-tab. Select "Run in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) mode" AND "Run with administrator rights".

4) Install the game as usual.

This worked for me. The first time you start Origin, you'll noticed, that the program should not run in compatibility-mode. Ignore this by pressing "Cancel".

Next problem: Battlefield 3 can not get installed under Windows 8 - it says my Windows-version is too old to run the game.... BULL**bleep**.

Message 17 of 76 (10,406 Views)

★★★ Novice

For me Origin says you need to be online the first time you log into Origin (I am online) and after talking to 3 tech reps they said that it isn't compatable with windows 8... what a joke.

Message 18 of 76 (9,482 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i solved the problem..
there is the solution->

1-download 7zip
2-download originthinsetup but do not open double click

3-open originthinsetup with 7zip and open $TEMP-$TEMP-setup.exe

4-and you can easly complete the setup and run origin...have fun  Standard smile

Message 19 of 76 (9,371 Views)

★★ Novice

Working fine for me in Win7 compatibility mode

Message 20 of 76 (9,370 Views)