[PC] - Error code 0x887A0006 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG - can't play game!

by kempy11

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PC] - Error code 0x887A0006 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG - can't play game!

★★ Novice

Hey everyone,

So the full error message is as follow:

"Engine Error

0x887A0006 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed."

It occurs within minutes of finishing the first mission "battle" sequence, just after the cut scene with the Apex Predators.

In attempting to fix this I've:

1. Updated my graphics drivers to the latest version.

2. Installed the most recent Windows Updates

3. Checked whether there were new version of Direct X to fresh install, but couldn't find anything that might solve the issue.

Please help me out as I'm dying to actually play the game!

(please find attached my DXDiag log and a screenshot of the error window)

Thanks!

Kempy

Message 1 of 11 (35,326 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [PC] - Error code 0x887A0006 - DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG - can't play game!

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

** SPOILER ALERT FOR OTHERS **

Hey Tom,

The 780 is being used, profile was fine and the power options have been put to full performance. 

Unfortunately, this hasn't solved it.

The last time I tried it, the game seemed to have actually gotten ever so slightly further before crashing, and so I was able to start after the cut scene. Unfortunately, after retrieving the first battery and activating the dialogue with BT the same error occurred again. It's like the problem is happening on or around milestones / checkpoints. Could obviously just be coincidence though considering they're also happening around the same scene (as the previous cut scene ends in the same place that the battery milestone ends).

Anyway, would be great if you have any other possible solutions to try.

Cheers,

Kempy

EDIT :: Also just tried turning off Origin overlay in-game (suggested by a friend) but this instead resulted in an Nvidia driver crash. (screenshot attached)

EDIT 2 :: Also maybe worth mentioning is that when this happens, it totally breaks Origin. When I try to restore the Origin window it enters a loop of telling me origin is already running (even if I've only tried accessing it once). I have to end the process to actually get the window to disappear.

EDIT 3 :: Can confirm, this crash has only ever happened around the scene where BT is after the cut scene. I've tried different viewing angles to see if I can get past the scene but I only ever get so far. Returning to the area eventually causes it to happen. 

EDIT 4 :: Ok so I've actually managed to get past that area and now I'm about 4 missions into the single player campaign. I spent a good 30 minutes turning settings on and off to try and isolate the culprits. It seemed to me like it was crashing in that environment when impact and effects where on. After disabling them I was able to proceed. Will continue playing and if I can get through today without crashing I'll mark this as done.

View in thread

Message 3 of 11 (38,853 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

@kempy11

Hi,

Make sure that you are using the 780 to run Titanfall, and not the Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600 that is still enabled. 

The following article explains how to setup a gaming profile:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/setting-up-a-graphics-card-gaming-profile/

Note: also make sure that the Power Settings of your system are set to High Performance, and do the for your GPU.

Message 2 of 11 (35,270 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

** SPOILER ALERT FOR OTHERS **

Hey Tom,

The 780 is being used, profile was fine and the power options have been put to full performance. 

Unfortunately, this hasn't solved it.

The last time I tried it, the game seemed to have actually gotten ever so slightly further before crashing, and so I was able to start after the cut scene. Unfortunately, after retrieving the first battery and activating the dialogue with BT the same error occurred again. It's like the problem is happening on or around milestones / checkpoints. Could obviously just be coincidence though considering they're also happening around the same scene (as the previous cut scene ends in the same place that the battery milestone ends).

Anyway, would be great if you have any other possible solutions to try.

Cheers,

Kempy

EDIT :: Also just tried turning off Origin overlay in-game (suggested by a friend) but this instead resulted in an Nvidia driver crash. (screenshot attached)

EDIT 2 :: Also maybe worth mentioning is that when this happens, it totally breaks Origin. When I try to restore the Origin window it enters a loop of telling me origin is already running (even if I've only tried accessing it once). I have to end the process to actually get the window to disappear.

EDIT 3 :: Can confirm, this crash has only ever happened around the scene where BT is after the cut scene. I've tried different viewing angles to see if I can get past the scene but I only ever get so far. Returning to the area eventually causes it to happen. 

EDIT 4 :: Ok so I've actually managed to get past that area and now I'm about 4 missions into the single player campaign. I spent a good 30 minutes turning settings on and off to try and isolate the culprits. It seemed to me like it was crashing in that environment when impact and effects where on. After disabling them I was able to proceed. Will continue playing and if I can get through today without crashing I'll mark this as done.

Message 3 of 11 (38,854 Views)

EA DICE Team

@kempy11

It appears that your display driver keeps crashing - have you done a complete clean install of these drivers when installing the latest ones?

It is also worth noting that I've seen similar crashes happen when players overclocked their GPU. If you've done some OCíng to your card, then it is worth checking if the crash also happens when you lower any tweaks you made to the card.

Message 4 of 11 (35,217 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey Tom,

My card is the "amp! edition" 780 from Zotac, and so comes overclocked as part of the build. Thankfully though I can report that the crash seems to be isolated to that scene in the first mission after the cut scene. I say this because I've just completed the game and didn't experience a single crash following my last report.

Cheers! (game was great)

Kempy

Message 5 of 11 (35,211 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi Tom

I have the same problem in multiplayer and I have the Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600.

So, do I have to buy a new graphic card to fix the problem. I tried all the tips but it didn't help. 

Thank you in advice

Message 6 of 11 (31,731 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Loziwurm

Hi,

I can confirm that Titanfall 2 won't work on that integrated processor.

Message 7 of 11 (31,673 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So I had this problem as well. I have the Intel HD 4400 and the game only stopped working when I got about halfway through the factory. Any ideas?

Message 8 of 11 (29,588 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey Tom,

I seem to be having the same problem. Its totally random though. Let me know if you have any suggestions, Thanks Jeremy

Message 9 of 11 (28,919 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@Straatford87do you know if titanfall will run on the intel(R) Arc(TM) A370M Graphics card? keep in mind i don't know much about pc gaming

Message 10 of 11 (798 Views)