Origin Problem - Can't find UpdateTool.exe

by xgillisx

Original Post

Re: Origin Problem - Can't find UpdateTool.exe

★★★ Novice

EA_Stephen, I would like to let you know that you do not have to reboot your computer.

Message 21 of 57 (3,786 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@xgillisx wrote:

Origin updated today but is now caught in a loop of trying to update each time I start it. After spending a few minutes "updating" it has a message that it cannot find UpdateTool.exe. Click OK. Try to start Origin and we go through the same process again.

Message 22 of 57 (3,744 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have this problem too. Manual uninstall and reinstall doesn't do the trick, downloading the software doesn't help, disabling the firewall and even antivirus doesn't help - the UpdateTool.exe is still missing and Origin cannot be updated. This is ridiculous. 

Message 23 of 57 (3,539 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks dude!

@EA_Stephen wrote:

First of all, make sure that you are running Origin in administration mode.

Additionally, ensure that your Firewall and/or Antivirus are not blocking the connection. The easiest way would be adding an exception for the Origin Client.

If that doesn't work, you may need to manually uninstall Origin, reboot your computer and then download a new client from the Origin website.

Message 24 of 57 (3,535 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Worked for me too.

Message 25 of 57 (3,090 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@EA_Stephen wrote:

First of all, make sure that you are running Origin in administration mode.

Additionally, ensure that your Firewall and/or Antivirus are not blocking the connection. The easiest way would be adding an exception for the Origin Client.

If that doesn't work, you may need to manually uninstall Origin, reboot your computer and then download a new client from the Origin website.

I too faced the same problem. But now i followed these steps and it started to work without any problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so muchConfusedmileyhappy:

Message 26 of 57 (3,023 Views)

★ Novice

Okay guys I got the update to go through without any reinstallation, here's how:

1. Restart computer

2. Open up folder C:/Program Files (x86)/Origin

3. Create a blank document and save it as "UpdateTool.exe" BE SURE to change "Text Document" to "All Files" so it saves as an .exe and not a .txt.

4. Open Origin (run as admin) and then let the program update. It should be working normally now!

Good luck! 

Message 27 of 57 (2,911 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I tried everything and it doesn't work, always same message, application error, updatetool.exe. When I moved UpdateTool.exe on my desktop and created a txt document in the Origin folder, and changed the extension to exe, nothing happens. I run Origin.exe as admin but nothing happens. I should mention that the old updatetool.exe is 156 kb while the new one (the one I created) is 0 bytes

Message 28 of 57 (2,896 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Okay guys, this is what worked for me:

http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/

I did the second part " How to run your game as an administrator." 

and even when I already set the game to run as an administrator, I right clicked the icon on the desktop and clicked the "run as administrator" 

then it updated fine! :D

hope it works for everyone else

Message 29 of 57 (2,845 Views)

★★★ Newbie

First of all When I clicked the link that sayed make sure your running orgin in adminestration I went onto a differnt page and at the top it sayed Error fale token code missing? like wtf? the sims 4 cost 60 euro!!!!!! and all for what to look at the screen everytime you try to play the game instead you get Error cannot find update tool please retype and check again and It took 6 hours straight to download and install the game alone and for what to only be able to play it for 2 days!!!! I WANT A SOLOUTION!!!!!!

Message 30 of 57 (2,645 Views)