Re: My solution to Profile not permitted to play online

by radiographer7

Original Post

Accepted Solution

My solution to Profile not permitted to play online

★★★ Novice

I was having the problem not being able to play Titanfall 2 online, I was getting the error Profile not permitted to play online. I worked with EA tech support and after seeing everything on my account was correct they referred me to xbox tech support. Xbox tried a bunch of different things and they were never able to get me going either.

I have a second xbox one and installed the game, and had no problems with multiplayer. I tried to think what was different between the two consoles. On the one that wasn't working I had some parental rules set up to limit the time my kids could be online. I cleared the rules on the router and it still didn't work. Then I figured it out, that machine was using an alternate DNS setting than the other xbox. I had to use the alternate DNS to shape the rules the kids computers, consoles, phones, etc were using to get on the internet.

TLDR version, it was DNS. If you are getting this error make sure your DNS settings are the default, and if that doesn't work put in Manual settings for Google as your DNS. Primary 8.8.8.8 Secondary 8.8.4.4

For Xbox one 

1. Go to the Dashboard.
  2. Go to Settings
  3. Go to Network.
  4. Go to Advanced Settings.
  5. Go to DNS settings.
  6. Select Manual.
  7. Put in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

For PS4

1. Go to "Settings".
  2. Go to "Network".
  3. Go to "Set Up Internet Connection"
  4. Select Wifi/LAN depending on what you use to connect.
  5. Select "Custom".
  6. IP Address Settings = Automatic.
  7. DHCP Host Name = Do Not Specify.
  8. DNS Settings = Manual. Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8. Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4.

Hope this fixes the problem for you!

Message 1 of 16 (72,160 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice
I chatted with support too and all I had to do was block multiplayer in my privacy settings, allow it again then restart my xbox one and it sorted the problem. Hope this helps someone.

View in thread

Message 3 of 16 (78,025 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Thank you for the post, great catch. I have actually swapped to these DNS settings myself while investigating a different issue, and I hope these steps will be useful going forward. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 16 (72,041 Views)

★★ Novice
I chatted with support too and all I had to do was block multiplayer in my privacy settings, allow it again then restart my xbox one and it sorted the problem. Hope this helps someone.
Message 3 of 16 (78,026 Views)

Community Manager

@GarthusMaximus Thanks, that's really helpful. It looks like the sources of the issue are very different, and having alternate fixes in the same place is very useful.  

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 16 (72,037 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi! I've tried this (8888-8844) and its not working. Any more ideas how to's?

Message 5 of 16 (71,962 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Thank you so much. Worked ❤️
Message 6 of 16 (70,787 Views)

★ Novice

thank you this worked great

Message 7 of 16 (69,289 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I have tried this and it did not work. This first started out as me playing Titanfall 2 since it came out on release day. Suddenly today and only today it says "this profile is not permitted to play multiplayer". Yes i am using a "Child account" but all the settings say i can play multiplayer. It works for the Battlefield series and Battlefront just not Titanfall 2.
Message 8 of 16 (69,060 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello @jamesrbrowe 

I am really sorry for those connection issues with Titanfall 2 on your console. This might be just a random network glitch. Can you try to Power Cycle your console and router? Can you play Battlefield 1 on your console right now? Keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 9 of 16 (68,960 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Running into this issue, have power cycled and attempted the DNS as well as the multiplayer on/off opportunities. Battlefield 1 is running.
Message 10 of 16 (66,566 Views)