Re: My game downloads are extremely slow for no reason

by x2ruff4ub

Original Post

My game downloads are extremely slow for no reason

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I have been using Origin for a little over a year and just recently the download speed has dropped significantly. I downlaoded crysis 2 on release day at 1MB/s but now when i try and download the same game its barely above 100KB/s. My internet connection is fine speedtest says 8 Mbps and 1 Up. plus steam downloads at 1MB/s so it is isolated to Origin.

Message 1 of 11 (11,908 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Have you made sure Origin is allowed in your firewall exceptions? This can cause some slowdown if it's not.

Message 2 of 11 (11,844 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I dont have a firewall and the windows one is disabled

Message 3 of 11 (11,841 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Preordered Crysis 3 and the download speeds are ridiculous! I had faster speeds torrenting other games which you guys should implant. (Yes legal game client downloads not from the game site servers)Downloading from game servers are always slow because so many download at once which hence why quite a few people just torrent the full client and play.

Please fix your Origin servers so we can all preload and play when it's released. I can see why people just go with steam now.

Message 4 of 11 (11,621 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have been having this issue with anything in Origins, Mass Effect and all the DLC's I have all been 10-40kb and never any higher, have tried going to a friends house and got on his internet and his is much faster and still just as bad. took me over 3 days to just download Mass Effect 3 with no DLC's, thats sad since that is only 10 gigs or so, no reason why it should have taken that long. Confusedmileymad:

ah just an edit, but I have been using Origins since BF3 came out, and even BF3 is unable to update faster then 40-50 kb/sec if that.

Message 5 of 11 (11,304 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just did an experiment I logged into Origin with my girlfriends account and started to download the speed was normal 1.8MBs to 2MBs witch is good for me so i then logged out and logged back in as me(my account) guess what the speed was slow as down to 27KBs so what is going on its like origin have restricted what I can download for some reason. If you know someone with an account ask them if you can try what i did and get back to me so we can show origin what is going on

Message 6 of 11 (10,991 Views)

★★★ Newbie

^^  i just tested that too, one account i download @ 100k/sec and another i download @ full speed.. WHAT THE **bleep** IS GOING ON EA?

Message 7 of 11 (10,824 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I feel your guy's pain. I just bought Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3 and I'm trying to download Crysis 3 right now. I have 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up internet, and Steam is fully capable of downloading at around 1.5-1.7 MB per second. Origin, on the other hand, is downloading at about 200 KB per second, and is saying that it will take about 13 hours and 10 minutes to fully download Crysis 3. I'm downloading this game at 9:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, so the servers should not have that much of a load.

Anybody know why it's so slow?!

Message 8 of 11 (10,819 Views)

★★★ Newbie

im having this problem aswell. i only got battlefield 3 last week and all of a sudden origin is slower than snails when it is updating. help please

Message 9 of 11 (10,717 Views)

★★★ Guide

Hello all,

This will be due to the Akamai Content Delivery system Origin uses for it's content distribution.

The only help I can give you is to read and follow these guidelines linked here http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7576794.page

Note: Even after following the guidelines linked above your speed will probably not change.

Until EA setup their own content delivery system for the Origin client then this issue/problem is going to be an occuring question.

Tip: After the download is complete it's advised to make a backup/save of the Battlefield 3 folder which is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3

You could then use the backup/save of the Battlefield 3 folder in future to quickly install Battlefield 3 following the below instructions.

Installing Battlefield 3 using a backup/save of the Battlefield 3 folder!

Run/Open the Origin client click the My Games tab/button.

Within the Origin client right click Battlefield 3 and select Download.

When the Battlefield 3 download has started select Pause.

Locate the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games".

Move/Drag the Battlefield 3 Folder you have saved into the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games".

If asked to Replace/Overwrite click Yes.

Resume the Download in the Origin client.

Done!

Remember Accept as Solution & add some XP if this answered the question!

F

Message 10 of 11 (10,701 Views)