In game Volume

by Doom5layer

Original Post

Accepted Solution

In game Volume

★ Apprentice

Hi, anyone else noticed how in game volume is quite low compared to the other games? Especially the surround sound (5.1 system here) is extremely low. I have turned all the volume to the max but it's just quite quiet compared to the other games well basically compared to every application. I'm playing PC version. Volume kind of increases with "stereo mixdown" but i don't want a stereo output i want full 5.1 surround sound output and there is no other way but to turn volume up on my amplifier but then noise from the amplifier starts coming through because of the low output the games giving. It's like turning your windows volume to 40% and then try to increase volume by turning a knob on your amplifier. Amp noise just rises up and you can't hear properly (because it's at 80-90% of it's capacity)...

Message 1 of 10 (33,195 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: In game Volume

★ Apprentice

In your "documents" folder then find "need for speed" You will see 2 files... Open with wordpad the file where it says "profile". Then find 3 lines which are sound effects music and speech. Crank them up to "4.0000". Then save and close the file. start the game and go to audio options and if you see big line then it worked. You cranked it up over the limit the game lets you crank up. But still even with this music is so low compared to sound effects. At 4.000 they're perfectly loud but music is very silent. This only happens with surround option when selected stereo mixdown audio gets properly loud without editing settings.

View in thread

Message 6 of 10 (40,745 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide

have you tried to activate the sound loudness equalization? http://www.ghacks.net/2014/04/02/enable-sound-loudness-equalization-windows/

had the same problem, this fixed it for me

Message 2 of 10 (33,154 Views)

★ Apprentice

Well the thing is while this increases significantly volume the problem of loudness equalization is that it will always increase and decrease volume and the whole sound breathes which is annoying.
What i discovered is that you can increase the volume beyond max settings in game... By going to profile config file and editing the number to "4.000" and i believe that's the games true max it can go. Tho what i noticed is that music still won't increase as much as sound effects increase. Music increases slightly while sound effects (engine wind everything else increases a lot. I think they should fix this.

Message 3 of 10 (33,137 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have the same problem, the volume is too low compared to every other game I have!

Message 4 of 10 (33,129 Views)

★ Apprentice

Can you tell me where this profile config file is located?

Message 5 of 10 (33,116 Views)

★ Apprentice

In your "documents" folder then find "need for speed" You will see 2 files... Open with wordpad the file where it says "profile". Then find 3 lines which are sound effects music and speech. Crank them up to "4.0000". Then save and close the file. start the game and go to audio options and if you see big line then it worked. You cranked it up over the limit the game lets you crank up. But still even with this music is so low compared to sound effects. At 4.000 they're perfectly loud but music is very silent. This only happens with surround option when selected stereo mixdown audio gets properly loud without editing settings.

Message 6 of 10 (40,746 Views)

★★ Pro

Hi guys i can confirm this works. Do as Marclaris just said. So I have windows 7 and this is what I did and it raised the volume quite a bit

now the sounds are good and loud . Again this is for windows 7 and  it may be a slight bit different steps to find your settings folder. Hope this helps.

Go to - start menu  - click computer - open local disk ( C)  -  find user folder and left click to open -  find folder with your PC name  -  open i t-  find My documents and open it  -  find need for speed and open it -  find settings folder and open it -  find   PROFILEOPTIONS_profile and open it with notepad or other  -  now you should see a window open that looks like a tons of commands that start with "gst". Now find the command  

GstAudio.SoundEffectVolume 

Changes its value to 4.000000 or higher depending on what you like. 7.000000 works for me. SAVE THE FILE before closing.

Then start up Need For Speed , then once in the main menu open settings and go to your Audio setting.

The Effect Volume blue line should be really long off to the right. it should be a lot longer then the others.

If you see this then you got it right and in game sound should be way better. Thanks to Marclaris. Standard smile

Message 7 of 10 (33,055 Views)

★ Novice

I just won this game a couple of weeks ago, and was looking forward to play it.

But damn i have to say that the in game sound level, or lack of it, is really so bad that it kill's the joy of the game.

Was looking around on the net to find anything about this problem and found this "fix" for it. But in my mind you shouldn't have to go and "edit" in the files your self, this problem should have been fixed from the developers with a patch fix or something.

Message 8 of 10 (32,562 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Wow great guide man your awesome!

Message 9 of 10 (26,566 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Like Other people said, in My Documents in file   PROFILEOPTIONS_profile    you need to change all this lines to have a better spunds: speech, music, police scanner and engine sounds. It depends on how much volume you like. I usually listen music on my PC Windows 10 at volume 20. In this case I set up this line like this:

GstAudio.MusicVolume 2.500000
GstAudio.PoliceScannerVolume 2.500000
GstAudio.SoundEffectVolume 2.500000
GstAudio.SpeechVolume 2.500000

Thanks to others for this guide. 

Message 10 of 10 (19,324 Views)