Error 14:-1 when trying to install Origin

by kinghemp

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Error 14:-1 when trying to install Origin

★ Apprentice

Hi All,

I am at my wit's end with this problem. Origin refuses to install and gives me error 14:-1, no internet connection.

I have tried EVERYTHING on the Answers site, created a ticket and even had a live chat session with an advisor. I have contacted my ISP and they have confirmed that there are zero connectivity issues from their side. It is the same connection that I have always used in the past. I am connecting via internet tethering, via USB cable using my BlackBerry Q5. Obviously my internet is working, I'm typing this post, aren't I? Steam, Blizzard and uPlay all work without issues currently, it's just Origin. Using the same phone, I can play FIFA17 on my PS3 online without an issue. Please don't reply with links to anything on EA's Help sites because I've done it all. 

I am 99.9% sure that it is not a connectivity issue but rather an Origin vs Windows issue. A couple of months ago my motherboard died and I have since replaced it. I have had to re-install Windows for that reason. That being said, with my old motherboard, same version of Windows, using my BlackBerry Q5 to connect, Origin worked fine. It is only since I've replaced my motherboard and re-installed Windows that this problem has cropped up. This leads me to believe that this is an issue directly related to Origin itself. I theorize that Origin is trying to connect using my LAN connection(no internet here) and not my tethered connection. I stand to be corrected but it's the only logical answer I can come up with and I haven't a clue how to resolve it, or even test the theory for that matter.

I've given as much info as I can but bottom line: It is not my internet connectivity that is the problem because Origin was working fine 2 months ago...

I have attached my dxdiag for reference...

Message 1 of 21 (9,336 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Error 14:-1 when trying to install Origin

★ Apprentice

Mwhahahaha!!! Success!!! I got Origin to install!!! Woohoo!!!

All I did was share my internet connection. This is how:

Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > Change Adapter Settings > Click on "Local Area Connection"(Blackberry Device or Android or whatever you're using) > On the top right, click "Change settings of this connection > Click on "Sharing" tab > Click "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" > Select your LAN connection from the drop-down menu. > Click "OK" > DONE!

I hope this helps someone else!

View in thread

Message 14 of 21 (13,951 Views)

All Replies

Hi, @kinghemp

What about restarting your PC in safe mode with networking enabled and then install origin? Have you tried that already?

Message 2 of 21 (9,291 Views)

★★ Novice

@kinghemp wrote:

I've given as much info as I can but bottom line: It is not my internet connectivity that is the problem because Origin was working fine 2 months ago...

The only missing "advice" in this contest of ridiculousness is "it's the color of your walls that is wrong - you have to repaint them".
With that mandatory update Origin has destroyed their so called software which we - gamers - do not need at all, which is nothing else than an obstacle to play games, and they put all the blame on us. "This is your antivirus fault.. oh no wait it's network setting... nono that's gotta be firewall..."
Dear Origin, your so called software stopped working right after it updated itself, you have to fix it - period. You are harming gamers and businesses of others, businesses that we care about - game producers. Hopefully they are going to figure this out soon and take actions.

Message 3 of 21 (9,260 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@EyePanic wrote:
Dear Origin, your so called software stopped working right after it updated itself, you have to fix it - period. 

If the Origin client update had broken itself for everyone or even a relatively large group I would agree. But since that has not happened (assuming, as "the internet" is not filled with rant about it), they cannot fix it for you. Far too non-specific for them to even know what to fix.

No other way to get it working other than re-install.

Message 4 of 21 (9,248 Views)

★★ Novice

Well did you read OP? It says

I am at my wit's end with this problem. Origin refuses to install and gives me error 14:-1, no internet connection.

I have tried EVERYTHING on the Answers site

Message 5 of 21 (9,232 Views)

Hi, @EyePanic

We still have to know what he tried besides the 14:1 error solution proposed in the "complete origin support" thread.

I don't know every solution posted on answer HQ, so everything is a little vague. When one is trying to solve problems one needs to ask questions concerning the problem.

Do you have any suggestions?

Message 6 of 21 (9,218 Views)

★★ Novice

@DarkBanishing wrote:

Do you have any suggestions?

Steam seems to be working just fine....

Message 7 of 21 (9,216 Views)

[ Edited ]

@EyePanic: For me too and so does GOG Galaxy, but that doesn't matter and is inconsequential at least. The OP just wants his Origin to fuction.

@kinghemp : Did you already tried the safe boot? It's important that you let me know if it works or not, without any feedback I am unable to help you out.

Message 8 of 21 (9,203 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi,

Thanks for the reply...

As mentioned, I have tried everything, including a Clean Boot, both normally and in Safe Mode.

Message 9 of 21 (9,188 Views)

[ Edited ]

@kinghemp

Hmm, I can't see anything driver, hardware or software related errors causing any problems too in your dxdiag. Have you previously deleted origin or did you do a partial (unfinished) installation of the program? It could be there are some corrupted files on your PC causing problems with a reinstallation. Even an installation in safe boot might seem impossible in that case.

If this is the case I might be able to help you out I hope. Fingers crossed

Message 10 of 21 (9,183 Views)