Dreaded Child account/online play issue!!!!

by einnebcj

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dreaded Child account/online play issue!!!!

★★★ Novice

I'm not the first...won't be the last.  I know this has been covered in other threads but I'm hoping someone can shed some new light on this issue.

Here's my problem (as I said - not a new issue).

I purchased PvZ Garden Warfare for my 3 sons (all under 13) - for Xbox One.  I set up the Origin accounts for them as required but of course as they are under 13 - they can't play online content and therefore the game is extremely limited.  There has been various solutions bandied around online with the most popular being to link your child as a friend via the Origin software on your computer.  This supposedly worked up until recently when the Origin Friends page changed and the option to join friends via Xbox Live was removed.  The other solution was to create adult Origin accounts for each child and use the same GamerTag/email for the Origin Account as the Xbox profile.  I've tried this and can't seem to get it to work.

I have tried calling phone support here in Australia......on hold for an hour with no answer.

I have tried initiating on online chat for support - it doesn't seem to work on any browser for my Mac....Chrome, Safari or Firefox.

I won't rant and rave about how stupid this process is nor how ridiculous it is that it has to be done in the first place.  Suffice to say - I am MEGA PEED off about it all.  I am very tech savvy and this whole process is stupid.  My language is very watered down to describe my annoyance at this!!!!!!!  I just want a solution for my kids.

If ANYONE can offer some sort of authentic solution to this.....I'd love to hear it.

Message 1 of 3 (2,738 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dreaded Child account/online play issue!!!!

★★★ Novice

Thanks to someone else's post - I have just got this working for my sons.

The solution was found on the Xbox side of things.  See this thread here:  http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/My-son-can-t-join-multiplayer-games/m-p/5214178/highlight/...

Here's what I did:

1. Logged in as myself as the adult.
  2. Go into Settings: All Settings: Account: Family
  3. Choose the child account you wish to adjust
  4. Go to 'Privacy & online safety'
  5. Go to 'Xbox Live Privacy'
  6. The current setting will likely be 'Child Defaults' - Change this to Adult Defaults.
  7. Now click on 'View details & customise'
  8. You can basically go through all the settings in this space and allow/block/change whatever you like.  The only thing you MUST allow is under 'Communication & multiplayer': 'You can join multiplayer games'
  9. Once you have made the privacy settings you are comfortable with for your child, navigate back to the home screen and if your child is currently also logged in, log them out and then log them back in again.
  10. Now load PvZ Gw.  This is where it gets a little shady for my as I had tried so many other solutions based around their EA accounts that each of my kids had slightly different set ups.  You may have to make a new EA account for them or you may not......just follow the on screen instructions and hopefully, whatever happens still works.  For my 3 boys, opening the game for each of them after having done the above steps resulted in a slightly different procedure (because of all the messing around I had done with their EA accounts) but ALL of them worked after I followed the steps.
  11. You should now be able to go to the 'portal' in the game and enter a multiplayer game.
  12. Happy days, happy kids.

Even though this sets the Xbox settings to the Adult defaults, I am comfortable with the set-up as I was able to customise (read: lock down) their online experiences as if they were still under child accounts......even more so than the Child account defaults.  I am very online safety aware and I am fine with all of this......

Hopefully this works for anyone reading this and having the same problem!!!!

Chris

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (2,820 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

Thanks to someone else's post - I have just got this working for my sons.

The solution was found on the Xbox side of things.  See this thread here:  http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/My-son-can-t-join-multiplayer-games/m-p/5214178/highlight/...

Here's what I did:

1. Logged in as myself as the adult.
  2. Go into Settings: All Settings: Account: Family
  3. Choose the child account you wish to adjust
  4. Go to 'Privacy & online safety'
  5. Go to 'Xbox Live Privacy'
  6. The current setting will likely be 'Child Defaults' - Change this to Adult Defaults.
  7. Now click on 'View details & customise'
  8. You can basically go through all the settings in this space and allow/block/change whatever you like.  The only thing you MUST allow is under 'Communication & multiplayer': 'You can join multiplayer games'
  9. Once you have made the privacy settings you are comfortable with for your child, navigate back to the home screen and if your child is currently also logged in, log them out and then log them back in again.
  10. Now load PvZ Gw.  This is where it gets a little shady for my as I had tried so many other solutions based around their EA accounts that each of my kids had slightly different set ups.  You may have to make a new EA account for them or you may not......just follow the on screen instructions and hopefully, whatever happens still works.  For my 3 boys, opening the game for each of them after having done the above steps resulted in a slightly different procedure (because of all the messing around I had done with their EA accounts) but ALL of them worked after I followed the steps.
  11. You should now be able to go to the 'portal' in the game and enter a multiplayer game.
  12. Happy days, happy kids.

Even though this sets the Xbox settings to the Adult defaults, I am comfortable with the set-up as I was able to customise (read: lock down) their online experiences as if they were still under child accounts......even more so than the Child account defaults.  I am very online safety aware and I am fine with all of this......

Hopefully this works for anyone reading this and having the same problem!!!!

Chris

Message 2 of 3 (2,821 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have been looking at this problem as my son has just bought  PVZGW2 so was expecting problems.

Having made sure he was allowed to play online games via the xbox one family settings. I simply loaded the game and followed the instructions for setting up an account for him with EA on the xbox. This included providing a parent's email. Once done I received an email from EA with a link requiring me to validate and accept it.

Once done he was able to play online with his friends no problem.

Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 3 (2,593 Views)