Re: DirectX Error after "You shall not pass" Update

by CleveTheChief

Original Post

Accepted Solution

DirectX Error after "They shall not pass" update

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello,

last weekend I bought premium for "They shall not pass", but after the update my game is no longer playable for me. I get crashes constantly regarding DirectX. The crashes (see attached files) occur when starting the game from Origin, in the main menue, in the loading screen and the one time I actually made it onto a server, it crashed too after 1h.

I have not encountered these errors before, and have been getting them only now after the new update. BF1 was running on my system (i2500k, Gtx570) on low to medium graphic settings before perfectly. I submitted a bug report (#29518243) but havent been contacted yet.

What I have tried so far:

* Removing Nvidia Driver 378.78 with DDU tool and reinstalling it.

* Removing Nvidia Driver 378.78 and going back to 378.66.

* Removing Nvidia Driver 378.78 with DDU tooland changin it to brandnew 378.92 (as of today)

* Setting GstRender.Dx12Enabled to 0 (PROFSAVE_profile)

* Repairing the game

* Lowering graphic settings (if able to reach main menue)

* Trying Alt-Tab and Windowed Mode

* Uninstalling and reloading the game

Whats next:

---

If there is new crash report related to the "they shall not pass" update fell free to link it! At the moment I can not play the game and realy hope so can help me out here Standard smile.

Regarding the attachments:

The errors stating "device->Create..." happen during the loadingscreen. I get different kind of errors and have been screenshotting them for different drivers installed. I dont know if I could reproduce all of the errors I received for the 378.78 driver for the new 378.92. If this is necessary and if it needs to be known when exactly which of these errors occurs, then i can try to catch them all.

Related posts:

DirectX error after update (Gtx550)

DirectX eror mega thread: Mainpage ; Page 543: postpatch error with Gtx580

Edit log:

03-21-17 - attached install log and link to similar problem

03-22-17 - tried list and links updated

Message 1 of 4 (886 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Seems like a hotfix mentioned by user PainSandwich1 on page 543 of the directx error mega thread fixes the problem so that I can at least play the game on a halfway okish framerate:

Using the console command GameTime.MaxVariableFps 40 prevents the game from crashing. I had no crashes during the first testphase (multiple times starting game, playing for approx. 2 hours). Possible that a higher fixed framerate also works. If so, I will edit my post after testing it out, but I'm good for now.

Sidenote for people having the same problem and don't already know

If you don't want to type in the command everytime you start the game and if you can't access the main menue due to the crashes:

open up notepad, type in the command and save it as "user.cfg" in your Battlefield 1 installation folder (...\Origin Games\Battlefield 1).

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (872 Views)

All Replies

★ Apprentice

Have you tried the new 378.92 driver? Maybe you can check the install log file at "\Origin Games\Battlefield 1\__Installer\InstallLog.txt" if something gone wrong during the installation. As you said, you can try to re-install the game. Some guy with graphics card GTX550 complained about a crash here: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/95948/directx-error-after-they-shall-not-pass-update

Maybe they will solve this issue with future updates.

Message 2 of 4 (870 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey,

thank you for your answer. 378.92 is currently installed and I've tried launching the game with it unsuccesfully (see opening post).

I attached the install log file but did not spot any suspicious log. Only thing for me would be the "forcing 64 bit registry" entry four times, buts thats the same for the previous installations that didnt lead to a crashing game.

Thanks for the link, I will have an eye on it. Then I will try a clean new install for now...

Message 3 of 4 (843 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Seems like a hotfix mentioned by user PainSandwich1 on page 543 of the directx error mega thread fixes the problem so that I can at least play the game on a halfway okish framerate:

Using the console command GameTime.MaxVariableFps 40 prevents the game from crashing. I had no crashes during the first testphase (multiple times starting game, playing for approx. 2 hours). Possible that a higher fixed framerate also works. If so, I will edit my post after testing it out, but I'm good for now.

Sidenote for people having the same problem and don't already know

If you don't want to type in the command everytime you start the game and if you can't access the main menue due to the crashes:

open up notepad, type in the command and save it as "user.cfg" in your Battlefield 1 installation folder (...\Origin Games\Battlefield 1).

Message 4 of 4 (873 Views)