Re: Connection to server timed out ps4

by EA_David

Original Post

Connection to server timed out ps4

★★★ Novice
I was able to play titanfall a day ago but starting 12/1/2017 I started getting my game launched into a game in progress and then less than a minute later my screen freezes and I'm only able to look around before I get sent to the main menu with a message reading "
Error - Connection to server has timed out" I tried different servers such as Tokyo frankfurt and Singapore
Message 1 of 10 (12,924 Views)

Community Manager

@Geeeeeeeeeeeeezy Thanks, can I check what region you're in? From your description the game ran fine before the 12th, yes? Do you still have issues today? Can you try playing other online games as a test? It may also help to power cycle your router, and restart your system from the power menu. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 10 (12,844 Views)

★★★ Novice
Im in the middle east region. UAE to be exact. Yes the game was working fine before and today im having the same problem. I tried reinstalling the game but still same problem. Other games work fine. I tried resetting my router and i tried restarting the system
Message 3 of 10 (12,836 Views)

Community Manager

Thank you. If you run the uotrace in this article does it show up any connection issues?

It also includes some basic steps for troubleshooting. Most of them won't be relevant for you, but can you try the steps of disconnecting other devices from the network?

https://help.ea.com/en-in/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 10 (12,826 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello I just ran UO Trace and I have attached an image of my results, as you can see my avg ping does not exceed 150 ms which means I should be able to connect to a game but it would be slow. Also my % loss is either 0 or 100 which means I'm not losing any data. I appreciate your help and I look forward to your reply

Message 5 of 10 (12,814 Views)

★★★ Novice
Can I also note that I tried to connect my console at a friend's house that has double the internet speed and I still faced the same problem. I really enjoy this game and I don't want something like this ruining it for me.
Message 6 of 10 (12,812 Views)

★ Novice
I'm having the exact same problem and so are my friends
Message 7 of 10 (12,805 Views)

★ Novice

Game ran completely fine first two weeks after I bought it, for the last week I haven't been able to play because of connectivity problems with your game.

Fix your * servers. I don't know how many people have to complain until the company takes action.

Message 8 of 10 (12,780 Views)

Community Manager

@Geeeeeeeeeeeeezy That shows a ping of 408ms by the time it gets to hop 11, in the US. The ping at the destination is more important than the ping at any individual hop. However the ping when it gets to the UK/Europe is under 150 so that's reasonable enough. 

More importantly than that - since you'll likely be connecting to a server in Europe rather than the US-  is that there is significant differences between your best and worst ping times,. This indicates an unstable connection. You're not losing any packets (100% loss reports can be ignored) but your ping times aren't stable at all. 

As in the article:

Large differences between the best/worst ping times: This is a good indicator of an unstable connection. The difference between your best and worst ping times should be a maximum of 100ms, any more than that and you're looking at a jittery or spiky connection. This is what causes lag spikes in games and is the source of frustrating inconsistencies in performance. If you're seeing evidence of this in your UOTrace, we'd advise flagging it to your ISP. 

If your friend sees the same issue I suspect the issue is on the network itself.

To the others affected by the issue, you may want to run the uotrace too, perhaps it'll shed some light on the issue. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 9 of 10 (12,758 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm having the exact same issue, playing in the UK. The game works fine during the day, but somewhere between 5PM and 7PM GMT it stops working, every day, until about 1AM.

At this point, I can no longer join any matches - I either load into a black screen or get kicked to the main menu with 'connection to server timed out'

I'm on a high-speed VDSL connection with a Netgear Nighthawk router (ie not shabby!), but in frustration I've also tried out two other routers, and tried playing from three other locations (friends' houses, one of which was 20 miles away). No joy. My personal connection is a business line, which has no traffic shaping and highest priority - and I've tried both NAT2 and DMZ connections to ensure no ports are blocked.

Furthermore, I have a library of 30+ PS4 games, and I've never suffered a similar issue with any of them. I've even had parties running FOUR machines playing Battlefield One at the same time. 

Several of my friends have had the exact same issue, most of them returned their discs to the retailers for a refund. I bought a digital copy so I seem to be stuck with it.

Please see attached Traceroute screenshot.

The sheer number of people affected and the fact that this only happens with Titanfall 2 really seems to suggest this is a server-side issue.

Message 10 of 10 (12,738 Views)