Child Account with Battlefront

by AmanteX

Original Post

Re: Re : Child Account with Battlefront

★★★ Newbie

I am an adult and parent and accept the responsibility on behalf of my kids to let the play Star Wars games online.

Message 21 of 35 (4,677 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@generationstx

This is Answer HQ, it is not EA, it is not Origin.  Your statement has no useful meaning in here, sorry.  You need to actually READ the message thread.

A couple of options exist.  You must lie, and break to law thereby.  But no one here is in a position to do anything about the reason you have to do it that way.

Message 22 of 35 (4,669 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Perhaps I am more than a little upset that after shelling out $60 for my kids to play battlefront I find out they can't. So in context with the thread and the topic matter I felt this was as good a place as any to express a bit of frustration. Not once have a seen the restriction clarified in such a manner that states that children under the age of 13 with or without parents consent will not be able to play this game. That would have been helpful.
Message 23 of 35 (4,650 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Community Manager

Hello there,

I sure do understand it is frustrating if you cannot access the larger portion of a game since you can only access the offline part due to an age restriction.

As mentioned previously by @TapouTony420, the age rating is different per country and usually the rating is applied by an independent organisation.

While the game is rated "Teen" by ESRB in the USA, it is rated PEGI 16 in the UK and USK 16 in Germany.

In addition to this rating, you do have to fulfill the requirements to go online with your Origin account, regardless of the platform you are playing on. This is called out in the Origin store on the product page at the bottom as well as on the back of the packaging - the example showing a PS4 US version of the game, calling out "you must be 13+ to access online features".

Please do note that this age restriction varies depending on your country. Note: You can right-click on the pictures and "Open picture in new tab" for better readability.

Origin product page:

bf3.PNG

PS4 packaging:

swbfback.jpeg

If there's anymore questions regarding this topic, feel free to let me know and I'll update this thread - will also mark as solution for visibility.

Message 24 of 35 (44,222 Views)

★★★ Newbie
That is for the parent to decide, not you, not EA.
Message 25 of 35 (4,465 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

EA should be forced to pay a prorated refund for all inaccessible game content relative to the original purchase price

it is in no way clearly presented at the time of purchase that a large portion of the game will be inaccessible 

this is an absolute joke - there is no justification

this stinks as bad as when everything got pulled off of steam

Message 26 of 35 (4,454 Views)

EA Community Manager

Following that logic, it is also for the parents to evaluate what parts of the game are accessible online or offline - the packaging states the EULA and the age requirements that need to be met in order to play online. The description on the website also states that the Season Pass features 16 additional multiplayer maps.

Not to say that Battlefront is not multiplayer-focused, since that is the main focus of the first game - but the feedback was heard and many things based off of that feedback were implemented in Battlefront II, first and foremost the Campaign, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Message 27 of 35 (4,436 Views)

★★★ Novice

Fair enough, however the problem is that kids 10-16 are really the target audience for this game and often (including my kids) have saved up their money to buy the game.  The reality of this situation is that all of my kids friends are just playing on adult accounts to get around the issue, which kind of defeats the entire purpose of parental controls, doesn't it?

Common sense is that EA should follow the Xbox one parental permissions model. 

Seems to me there is unnecessary corporate interference over parental choice.  Xbox one provides intelligent granular control over which games and features kids are able to access - why does EA feel the need to interfere?  There is certainly no legal need to restrict access to this degree -  just inherit the Xbox One parental permissions and be done with it.  The inflexible policy of locking down accounts to an xbox gamertag is another extension of this policy and only makes matter worse.  Why does it matter which EA account I link to a gamertag? 

I fail to understand why EA continues to alienate gamers - they should stop trying to tell everyone how and where to play a game. Put games back on Steam - why on earth would EA want to limit distribution channels and sales?   Leave player and parental choice alone.

Message 28 of 35 (4,417 Views)

★★★ Newbie
But yet all these kids play GTA V on a daily basis and can’t play star wars
Message 29 of 35 (4,191 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Yet my son can play titan fall 2 which is way more violent considering it has blood and Violent neck break executions, (with the same ea account) This is redicoulous.
Message 30 of 35 (3,698 Views)