Battlefront FPS Problems

by Alexander8728

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefront FPS Problems

★ Apprentice

While playing battlefront I noticed massive FPS drops on the Death Star DLC maps and on some Bespin maps, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to increase my FPS, and I know I'm not the only person with this problem.

These are my PC specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Built-in Display: 15.4-inch (2880 x 1800), what are some lower resolutions that would work?

Message 1 of 14 (749 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Battlefront FPS Slowness

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Your GT 650M is quite a few steps below the GTX 660 (desktop) minimum.  The game should run slowly, unless you dial all of the graphics quality settings as low as they will go, and also choose a relatively coarse screen resolution. 

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-660-vs-GeForce-GT-650M-Mac 

Incidentally (via edit, a P. S.), GPU Boss' test score totals often aren't as conclusive as they might be.  I was visiting Game Debate the next day, and their scores rate your 650M as being practically abysmal compared to the GTX desktop card. 

https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=689&gid2=591&compare=Nvidia%20GeForce%20GT%20650M-vs-N...

View in thread

Message 6 of 14 (802 Views)

All Replies

Re: Battlefront FPS Problems

Community Manager (retired)

Hello @Alexander8728 

I am really sorry, but Star Wars: Battlefront is currently available only on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. I am afraid we can`t give you any advises about running this game on Mac. 

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 2 of 14 (735 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Alexander8728 

It makes no difference whether you are on an Apple PC or a regular WinTel machine, the hardware required is the same, and the failure to include any discrete video graphics adapter with a core from either AMD Radeon, or nVIDIA Geforce disqualifies the great majority of all Laptop systems, and many desktop PCs as well. 

Minimum PC System Requirements

Processor (Intel): Intel i3 6300T or equivalent (3.3 GHz)
    Memory: 8GB RAM
    Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
    Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    Graphics card (ATI): ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
    Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

There is no official support for systems below the above minimums.  Even if they might have seemed to run for a time, they weren't doing so as well as intended by the developers. 

Message 3 of 14 (729 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_Archi

I am using Boot Camp Assistant to run windows 10 on a mac, I have full DirectX compatibility and have had no problems running other windows only games using this method. However all the other games I play are on Steam, is there some compatibility issue with Origin?

Message 4 of 14 (723 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Gorath_the_Elder

I have...

Graphics Card: GeFore GT 650M

Memory: 16 GB of RAM

Processor: i7-3740QM

DirectX: 12.0

Online Connection: about 1 MBPS

Message 5 of 14 (720 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Your GT 650M is quite a few steps below the GTX 660 (desktop) minimum.  The game should run slowly, unless you dial all of the graphics quality settings as low as they will go, and also choose a relatively coarse screen resolution. 

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-660-vs-GeForce-GT-650M-Mac 

Incidentally (via edit, a P. S.), GPU Boss' test score totals often aren't as conclusive as they might be.  I was visiting Game Debate the next day, and their scores rate your 650M as being practically abysmal compared to the GTX desktop card. 

https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=689&gid2=591&compare=Nvidia%20GeForce%20GT%20650M-vs-N...

Message 6 of 14 (803 Views)

★ Apprentice

When I first bought the game it ran perfectly on medium settings (the default that it set for my computer)

after a few hours playing it started slowing down and I had to lower the settings, the game runs fine on every map except twilight on Hoth, death star, and some bespin maps, if my computer is a few steps below minimum, why did it run perfectly fine when I first got it, and why the slow down?

Message 7 of 14 (704 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Gorath_the_Elder

Is there any way to upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 660 without getting a new laptop?

Message 8 of 14 (700 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I have never felt sufficiently unrestrained with my budget to buy any Apple products after the IIGS in 1983 or close to that long ago.  The Lisa had come and gone, unsuccessfully, and the first Mac was either already out, or about to be, when I bought a Commodore for gaming (I already had an IBM to handle business needs, and traded in the Apple). 

If Apple builds laptops differently from the way that the WinTel laptops are assembled, and has any access available to remove the graphics card, I have no knowledge in that regard, sorry. 

Message 9 of 14 (691 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Gorath_the_Elder

there are tiny screws on the bottom of my laptop, just it looks like I need a special screwdriver to unscrew them.

Message 10 of 14 (685 Views)