Battlefield 1 crashes on DirectX 12 (after the update)

by Punterooo

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefield 1 crashes on DirectX 12 (after the update)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi,

After the recent update BF1 always crashes if I enable DX12. It worked well before the patch. The problem is that on my system enabling DX12 gives a HUGE performance boost allowing me to play on mid-high graphics with VSync ON with smooth 55-60 fps. On DX11, however, I can only play on low if I want to have smooth framerate. It's not like I can't play on low, but hell, I know my PC could do better and I want to get those times back. :D

I've tried to disable Origin In-Game overlay as some people suggested but it didn't work. My display driver is up-to-date.

I'd appreciate some tips if someone knows how to fix this.

My specs:

CPU: i5-3570K

RAM: 16 GB DDR3-1600

GPU: GTX 970

Message 1 of 5 (15,549 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Battlefield 1 crashes on DirectX 12 (after the update)

★★★★ Novice

OK, I've found the solution for me. All I had to do is disable RivaTunerStatistics Server which comes with MSI Afterburner. To do that the "nice" way you need to go to your MSI Afterburner installation directory, open MSIAfterburner.cfg with any text editor and find "EnableServer" string, then set its value to 0. For some reason after the recent update BF1 conflicts with this tool in DX12 mode. 

No more crashes for me. Hope this helps someone!

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (18,769 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

OK, I've found the solution for me. All I had to do is disable RivaTunerStatistics Server which comes with MSI Afterburner. To do that the "nice" way you need to go to your MSI Afterburner installation directory, open MSIAfterburner.cfg with any text editor and find "EnableServer" string, then set its value to 0. For some reason after the recent update BF1 conflicts with this tool in DX12 mode. 

No more crashes for me. Hope this helps someone!

Message 2 of 5 (18,770 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for the post, @Punterooo. A lot of folks are seeing the same issue, thank you for raising awareness of a common fix. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 3 of 5 (15,376 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Much more correct common fix would be updating RivaTuner Statistics Server to recently released version 6.5.1, which is addressing incompatibility with Fall Update DX12 renderer.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=411047

Message 4 of 5 (15,340 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

17 Jan, 2017.  I just did a clean install of the latest Nvidia patch driver 376.60 (specifically aimed at the GTX GPU mine GTX680)  and just played for 2 1/2 hours without a crash.:-)

Message 5 of 5 (14,969 Views)