I fell back in love with Wall Knight

by npgibbs

Original Post

I fell back in love with Wall Knight

★ Guide

Last season I used Wall Knight to get into the 20s then I noticed I started getting bodied so I switched to Grass Knuckles. I had great success with Grass Knuckles and got up to the 30s before the season ended on me.

Now in Galactic Gardens I found I was getting bodied with the same Grass Knuckles deck (guacadiles and grave busters as only removal, lily of the valley, vegetation mutation and attacking on heights/environments and some bullseye cards as the core of the deck). After trying every hero I had again I went back to Wall Knight. I will be honest here I had a rough time getting out of the Diamond League after sailing thru the other leagues but I find Wall Knight very consistent. Here is why I am now in the Taco league and I have jumped on Ultimate level players so quickly that a couple conceded before turn 6.

Why I love WK:

1. Removals. Lots of removals.

2. Variety of decks

3. Can dish it out and heal it.

I found the most reliable deck for me to be a Flower Deck. Now I can see some people rolling eyes saying "Yea you spamming that Heartichoke + Flytraplanet loop GG" trick but I have won many games without getting that opportunity (and lost games even when I pulled it off). Actually, there are 2 stars of a flower deck:

1. Forget-Me-Nuts

2. Briar Rose

Forget-me-nuts is without a doubt the greatest opening card that can be played on the plant side because of how most Zombie players play - They PASS on the first play. Then when you drop Forget-Me-Nuts it prevents them from using any removal. Actually, the only card that can be played is an environment. Carry 4 and always play it on heights when used as an opener, especially if you are playing against a hearty zombie who can play Black Hole.

Briar Rose is the ultimate removal. Always play your flowers to the left and place her to the right. At 3 attack / 4 health she survives removal.

The one tricky part with WK is sometimes you have to rope-a-dope your opponent. Heartichoke loop required you to take just enough damage and make sure your opponent has a near empty block meter. I also carry around 2-3 doom shrooms so sometimes you have to let high attack zombies live to entice opponents to go for the kill and have many high attack cards on the board while I have a bunch of 2-3 attack plants.

Cards you really want in your opening hand:

1 Forget me nuts

1 Photosynthesizer

1 Garlic

1 Morning Glory

Grave Buster is an honorable mention along with another Forget me Nuts.

So if/when Zombies pass play Forget Me Nuts on heights.

On the next turn they always go after the forget me nuts. Your next play depends on the Zombie and if they play or pass.

Play a gravestone - Gravebuster. If you do not have it then your best attempt is photosynthesizer + Garlic. The only card that gets you is Squirrel Herder.

Maybe I was playing WK horribly wrong before. Maybe the fear of Heartichoke loops causes Zombies to make bad decisions but WK goes in my S tier.

Message 1 of 3 (616 Views)

Re: I fell back in love with Wall Knight

★ Guide

In a ranked match vs an Ultimate player I just survived:

2 Medulla Nebulas

1 Brain Vendor

10 brains, full zombie lanes + Bad Moon Rising on turn 6 = Zombot 1000 wipes my entire board out + Ra Zombie + Gas Giant and another 5 attack Zombie. I had him on the ropes at  something like 14 to 2 and as soon as he hit fight I got incredibly lucky. I ate the 9 damage from Zombot but the second attack activated my shield and I pulled Uncrackable. I played it and defended the rest of attacks. I had 2 Doom Shrooms in my hand but I could not play it because of Gas Giant. He played Sharktronic and had 1 brain left. I played the only card I could: Cosmic Flower! He conceded. I guess he could not remove it.

But what really got me up in the game is a Heartichoke on turn 4, another Heartichoke on turn 5, a bunch of damaged plants (Garlic, Forget Me Nuts and the first Heartichoke) and Geyser. After that barrage he was almost dead.

It was a short but epic battle of immediate changes of fortune.

Wall Knight Flower deck is very powerful and not difficult to obtain. I have 3 legendaries - Soccer ball Poppin Poppies and Football Briar Thorns but many times I do not even play them.

Message 2 of 3 (611 Views)

Re: I fell back in love with Wall Knight

★★ Pro
The update definitely helped out wall knight. Poppin poppies was an okay card and now for 6 cost you gain six life and if you have heartichoke in play you just did a 12 point swing since zombies losing the 6 you gained and briar rose dropping 2 off its casting cost is kinda ridiculous. I know what you talking about and I agree it can hold its own vs pretty much anything. I'm a zombie though through and through. The only time I play plants are the gem quests or once in awhile casual but anyway...agreed man, 100%
Message 3 of 3 (577 Views)