by Quaxeu

Original Post

Re: Age restrictions for online game play

★ Novice

I have the same problem. ridiculous.

Message 11 of 21 (4,191 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Its because online gameplay introduces factors that affect age rating that are completely out of EAs control.
For example, EA cant control Every 12 year old thats going to tell you he is fornicating with your mother, or every 12 year old that threatens death and cancer upon you for simply finding a better ingame item.

get the idea now? its all beauracracy and theres nothing EA can do about it. This is to limit damages to EA brought by the perfect parent brigade who want to ban video games,
What activision do with theirs is their business.. nothing to do with EA.

Message 12 of 21 (3,627 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Folks, if the Gamertag/account receiving error code 524 is for an "underage" account (for a child generally under 13 years of age), I have the solution for fixing the problem: you must "age up" the child's Origin Account.  I have learned there are 2 ways to do this, one which is published but the other that is not readily discussed online (not that I could find).

Option 1: Your child naturally reaches the "age up" age.  Per EA, this is apparently an automatic notice EA provides once a child is of age and logs into their Origin account.  See https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/aging-up-an-origin-account-to-an-adult-account/ Your child goes through the age up process, picks an email, and then should be good.

Option 2: You provide evidence to EA that your child is actually of the age to "age up" the Origin account.  To do this, you must first contact the EA Help Desk and create a case number, asking the agent to provide you the case number.  The agent will then give you instructions, which is basically to send an email to DOBverification ATSIGN ea DOT com containing the following:

- A picture of a legal document showing the child's date of birth (proving the child is 13 years old or older in the U.S., for example)

- Information that will help EA find the account (Origin Name, Gamertag, etc.)

- Your help desk case number

- The agent didn't ask for this in the instructions, but I would provide them your child's email address that you want associated to the child's aged up Origin account.

Once EA has this information, they will update the child's date of birth on their Origin account and then send the child an email with instructions to complete the age-up process.

I did option #2 above with my son by submitting a picture of a birth certificate.  I had originally set up my son's Origin account with the wrong birthday year (accidentally making him younger), so providing a birth certificate and making the correction was relatively easy.  For those of you whose child is not yet of age but you want to age up their account, I didn't see a different avenue for getting an exception or approving aging up; it seems you must submit documentation showing your child is older.

For reference, here's an EA article regarding the underage account policy by country for children based on their ages: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/online-access-for-child-accounts/#agerequirements.

One additional note: if you still want your child's Xbox Gamertag to have some child/family privacy restrictions or content restrictions after you age up your child's Origin account, you can apparently do this with no problem.  I aged up my son's account but still restricted content to games up to 13 years, he can only chat with Friends, can't share videos, etc.  Once you get the Origin account aged up, it doesn't seem to be impacted by Xbox parental restrictions.

I hope this helps!

Message 13 of 21 (3,459 Views)

★★★ Newbie

EA lied and told me it was a local law (for FIFA 19). It is not a local law!

Message 14 of 21 (3,320 Views)

★★★★ Novice

IS IT THE CONSOLE ACCOUNT OR THE EA ACCOUNT THAT MEANS IT IS TOO YOUNG?

Message 15 of 21 (2,899 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I am 12yrs old and it will not let me play FUT
Message 16 of 21 (2,898 Views)

★★★★ Novice
It is very annoying as i recently got playstation plus so i could play FIFA 19
Message 17 of 21 (2,897 Views)

★★★★ Novice
How do you 'Age up'
Message 18 of 21 (2,896 Views)

★★★★ Novice
PLZ HELP!!!!!!
Message 19 of 21 (2,895 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

The people who are sending the emails are robots...

Message 20 of 21 (2,404 Views)