SimCity BuildIt - Tip and Tricks Guide [WIP]

by czeuch

Original Post

SimCity BuildIt - Tip and Tricks Guide [WIP]

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

The Basics

You place residence units and upgrade them by using resources that can be created at your factories or stores. Each item has an amount of time it takes to get ready. When you upgrade a residence, you earn XP, Simoleons (see below) and population.

Your screen contain information like level, population, warehouse current and maximum capacity and approval rate. This is all in the top left corner.
Below this you have the social and preferences buttons.
In your top right corner, you have your currencies information (see below).

You the right middle-bottom side, you have the building options: streets, residences, commercials, factories and specializations. The red exclamation mark on the street or specialization icon means that something is wrong, like some of your street has heavy traffic and needs to be upgraded, or something basic infrastructure is failing (i.e. lack of water).

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/czeuch/img1_zpse9e4d325.png

The 2 ways street is free and I recommend making a layout like a street, then space for 2 rows of houses and another street. The main reason is that you will enable bigger buildings later on that will not fit if you go for street, house, street. Believe me, street, house, house, street is better. Only make sure to have some cross streets in order to avoid heavy traffic.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/czeuch/img2_zps27b5a4fd.png

Currencies

Simoleons: ingame money which can be used to buy stores, upgrade your factories, buy infrastructure buildings, etc. It can be earned by upgrading buildings, selling goods at the Global Trade HQ, doing Naval missions, collecting taxes or spending Simcash.

Simcash: special and limited cash that can be used to speed up production, increase store slots, open warehouse or expansion slots, etc. You start with a small ammount and you can get more by getting Achievements or spending real money.
IMPORTANT: do not spend Simcash on anything other than increasing store slots. It's really not worth it spending it in other things unless you're willing to pay real money.

Golden Keys: these can be obtained by completing Naval missions or by reconstructing your buildings after using Doctor Vu's disasters. These keys can be used to build Specialization buildings like Education, Transportation, Leisure, Gaming and Monuments.

Collectibles

You will notice some balloons over some buildings. This is usually a comment from your citizens about something from your city. Clicking on them have a chance of rewarding you with a collectible.
My recommendation is that you never sell Land or Vu's collectibles, and start selling Warehouse ones after you reach 110 to 120 capacity. The main reason behind this is because at that point, you will need 9 to 10 items of each. This would reduce drastically the quantity of productive goods that you can store in your warehouse since around 20+ items will be about Warehouse collectibles. /

There are 9 kinds of collectible, for 3 different uses:

Warehouse Maximum Capacity Increase: to increase you warehouse's cap by 10 slots, you need Cameras, Locks and Grates. You need at first one of each to upgrade, and it increments by 1 for each time you upgrade it (2 of each for the second upgrade, 3 of each for the third, etc).

Land Expansion: for that, you need tractor's Exhaust Pipe, Wheel and Shovel. Each extra land has a specific cost, which can vary from 1 of each to 10 of each.

Doctor Vu's Items: to release a disaster, you will need to give Doctor Vu a Lightning Glove, Battery and Remote Controller. The cost of each disaster is random. It can be 2 Gloves and a Battery, or 4 Remote Controllers, or one of each.

Walkthrough

It looks like you start with a lot of Simoleons, however try not to spend it too fast. You will run out of it quite fast. Some infrastructure buildings will unlock at certain levels. Once they unlock, your citizens will start complaining about not having that specific things (i.e.Sewer Treatment, Garbage Management, Police, etc) and they will abandon your city if you don't give them what they want.

My tip here is: DON'T WORRY. You'll NEVER have enough money to do everything on time if you don't spend REAL money. So you'll have to go one step at a time.
Having bad approval rate and abandoned buildings for a while is not too bad, since this will only reduce a little of your tax income, which only comes every 24h (or spread during a day if you access the game often).

I suggest stop placing new residences when you unlock something new that will make your citizen leave. Start focusing on saving money until you are able to buy the best option for that category.
You can find below a table with the cost x benefit of each category. This is a sacrifice at the beginning but you will save money in the long run as you will not need to spend money with this kind of stuff all the time.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/czeuch/img1_zpsc6c39619.png

After the basic infrastructure stuff are enabled (the last one to enable is Health), you can focus on finishing providing everything that is missing and then start expanding your city horizontally, placing new residences.

I do recommend that you find a way to fit the Port and Doctor's Vu tower in this process. The Specialization buildings are the ones that will make your city really grow in terms of population.

In terms of Specialization, this is what I suggest you to do:

1 - Place the Department of Education (40K Simoleons);
2 - Farm Golden Keys until you have 47 of them so you can place the Library, High School, College and University. This will cover your whole city with Education and will unlock the Fusion Plant (which you'll need later on);
3 - Farm money to place the Department of Transportation (50k Simoleons);
4 - Farm 30 to 34 Golden Keys so you can place the Heliport and the Bus Station or Balloon Park;
5 - Farm 60k Simoleons to place the Leisure HQ;
6 - Farm 38+ Golden Keys to place 2 Leisure buildings, one of them being the Giant Wheel;
7 - Farm 70k Simoleons to place the Gaming HQ;
8 - Farm 22 Golden Keys to place both Luxury Cassinos;
9 - Lastly, farm 80k for the Department of Culture;
10 - Get 60 Golden Keys for the Washington Momument and the Empire State Building.

With this, get prepared to turn your city into a metropolis!

Offerings

Sometimes balloons with coins will appear over buildings. This means some NPC company or organization wants to buy something for you. They will show you which product they want, the quantity they want, the quantity you have in stock and the price they are paying for all products.
In some occasions, it may happen that they will offer you much more than the market value. In this case, I recommend clicking outside the popup (DON'T CLICK ON ANY BUTTON) so you can maintain the offer active. Start producing that product and sell it when you have the necessary quantity.
This will improve your economy in a very interesting way.

Doctor Vu

It works quite simply: give Vu the items he requires for the disaster. Some buildings (1-5) will be destroyed. The game will ask you for requirements to rebuild it, very similar to an upgrade. However instead of money, XP and population, you earn 1 to 3 golden keys. After all buildings are rebuilt you can call upon another disaster.
Some people question if it's really worth to unlock/use it. the answer is that using his disasters is mandatory if you want to have a city with high population and specializations. the ship only gives you one key with an interval of at least 6 hours. The disasters can give you 1 to 12 keys and you can get them in less than 6 hours
I've farmed around 150 keys with Vu and this helped me cover my whole city with all specializations but landmarks. I'm still missing those.

However it may happen in very rare cases that one of the buildings that you will need to rebuild needs ridiculous requirements. I'll mention 2 bad cases and a nearly bad one:

- Warehouse is at 110 storage: game asks for 48 nails and 48 wood (96 items)
- Warehouse at 180: games asks for 156
- Warehouse at 140: game asks for 64

- Impossible requests: use ingame support feature and EA will fix the disaster.

What to do in such a situation? The first and last cases from the list above are mine. I'll now explain how you can solve this problem.

- Focus on finishing all upgrades that you started
- Don't start new ones
- Stop production
- Farm the HQ Global Tarde for expansion items in order to upgrade your storage and land. This way you will get rid of these items hence saving space
- Sell anything you don't need
- Ask your friends to hold some stuff for you. Basically you sell something to you friend and you buy it back after your rebuild is done.

These are only a few way. There should be others too.

Money Making

Money Analysis

AllYourBlocks Video

Message 1 of 54 (156,644 Views)

Re: SimCity BuildIt - Tip and Tricks Guide [WIP]

★★ Novice

czeuch… thank you so much for posting!

Message 2 of 54 (156,295 Views)

★ Guide

You're welcome dude Wink

I'm really eager to get this game to work on my tablet so I can start over using a new account and apply these tips since the beginning.

Message 3 of 54 (156,290 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I think a good section to add to this would be tips on placing police, fire and parks. More so parks because it isn't clear outside of the population boost radius their benefit if any to the city. Like will residents outside of the population boost radius visit the park or complain that they need a park to go to. For some reason police and fire stations don't have identical coverage radius. one is 10x12 and the other is 12x12. Roads count against this. So if one were to do most efficiently use the land and do the following - - - - indicate roads x x x x indicate residents:

- - - - - - -

x x x x x x

x x x x x x

- - - - - - -

that would be 6x12. So if you placed a fire and police station across the top street the one would cover beyond the bottom road the other wouldn't. I haven't been able to figure out a placement pattern for them. And having parks mixed in complicates trying to figure out a pattern as well. Unless a park takes the place of a 2x2 resident leaving the 2 or 3 squares unused. But anyways it would be nice to have info from players who have sorted that stuff out already and have the benefit of their tips for placing these three things.

Message 4 of 54 (156,287 Views)

★ Guide

Hey raven, nice feedback.

I take this subject very simply: I make sure that all residences are fully covered by parks. I know that regarding fire, police and health, if only half of a residence is covered, it's enough.

I've been playing for more than 1 month and after I was able get myself together (after saving money for the big police and big hospital), I've been able to maintain 100% approval rate for a long time. Sometimes it's 98 or 99. But most of the times it's 100%. Parks cost 4k so I place a park when rating is not 100%.

Message 5 of 54 (156,277 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the info on park coverage. I did some math on each park and the reflecting pool park appears to be the most population boost to simoleon spent ratio. They are 6k each and grant 20% population boost with an 8x6 coverage. The peaceful park at 8k each with 25% boost and 6x10 coverage appears to be the 2nd best cost ratio with a better coverage area. After that it is all about looks over cost ratio benefits. I'm in the process of organizing my city. I was overzealous up to now (level 14) and demolished a bunch of residents to manage cost to growth. Plus it is much easier to figure out city layout. so far I have the correct road placement setup shown in the picture. What I'm not sure of is how many squares away each crossroad should be to avoid traffic problems. Right now i have all my big buildings far enough away from each other they don't trigger traffic problems but once I have the coverage placement thing worked out I'll need to work out the crossroads placement. My initial thinking is every 9 squares. But it seems like if I have 3 or 4 high rise buildings on the same road segment it triggers traffic problems. So maybe 4x4, 4x5 or 4x6 areas surrounded by roads?

Message 6 of 54 (156,177 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks so much czeuch. I've only been playing for 2 weeks and I've already implemented some of your suggestions. The rest of the tips will really help me build my city.

Thanks again,

Michelle

Message 7 of 54 (156,119 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Another addition to the guide would be the benefits and consequences of each level upgrade.

For instance, knowing that level 14 adds waste management which negatively impacts happiness (unlike transportation/edu) would be useful so that you can save up enough cash for a Garbage Dump.  In my case, I didn't have the cash which caused a city wide panic while I raise funds.

Message 8 of 54 (156,009 Views)

★ Guide
I have mentioned not to worry about this too much since it's impossible to save the necessary money for when you unlock police and health. I had 60% approval rating for a while because I was saving money to put the big police and big hospital. it's not a big deal because the only thing that happens is that you'll earn less taxes but you only get taxes once a day.

It would nm be nice to have the information but I can't find it out anymore because I'm level 32 now and I don't know at which level I've unlocked stuff. if you know it I can add it in the guide.
Message 9 of 54 (155,984 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

If you press and hold on a building in the menu from where you place the buildings it provides a level requirement. This is when they are unlocked.

Message 10 of 54 (155,976 Views)