Feeder Cities

by julesgian

Original Post

Feeder Cities

★★★★★ Apprentice

I know that some players do share their devices with other players, like a sibling etc but I would estimate about 95% are the same player with a secondary city which produces resources which are then feed to the other account via friending and some have secondary devices which are used for the same purpose. I am asking how do other players feel about this. I play one account, period. I spend $5-$10 a month to support the game and get a little bonus. However, I feel a bit cheated because a huge chunk of these players probably pay $0. I personally feel, for ethical gaming purposes, for friending to be eliminated and the transfer of any resources other than global trade to be done away with. I see many who boast about playing for free which I also think is wrong. A small minimal purchase each month provides support. I do think some players are legit and are working with friends. I am just opening the discussion to see if others think it is an ethical gaming practice? It is just a game but I am strongly considering discontinuing playing because it goes against the grain of my moral fiber and minimally I will discontinue to give any financial support because I am not going to support those who play for free..and I have the game on my PC so.....lol, I can play the apps I have purchased and not worry with doing anything to help those who develop and maintain it..and Facebook to boot...I will skip that because once you're connected to  Facebook, it's got you has got you and they exploit you and most aren't even aware to the degree they are used. Anyway, sorry for going lateral but I think the issue is something to consider because I wonder if feeder city players would quit playing or start paying..lol, maybe they do both and feel entitled. I just simply think one account per IP address and no friending that allows resource transfer. Show of hands?..lol, none probably lol. At least I spoke up for what I think is right and that's good enough for me.

Message 1 of 11 (13,163 Views)

Re: Feeder Cities

★ Guide

It is my opinion that if a person wants to go through the trouble of having a feeder city then so be it. I have a feeder citythat is used to produce shovels, measuring tapes, spatulas, tables, chairs, tree saplings, grass, nails, planks,paint, glue,cement, flour bags, and fruit. I t allows me to concentrate on the more time consuming products with my main  city. I get land expansion and storage expansion items so that my city is at the max in both. I then in turn pretty much give away the expansion items so those lucky enough to visit my city at the right time can get expansion items for a dollar. Those are really the only advantages to having a feeder city that I know of. I have 650 in Sim Cash in my feeder city that I cannot transfer to my main city so its really no big deal having a feeder city. It wis no different that having friends to trade items amongst each other..

Message 2 of 11 (13,094 Views)

★★ Apprentice

That's just it though. You're using a feeder city to skirt around the imposed limitations the game has in place for you to either spend time, resources or SimCash on to achieve. I have a lot trouble finding expansion and storage resources and have to rely on thought bubbles, or trader HQ to receive, or spend SimCash. If I had a feeder city then it would reduce my time to make upgrades by half - therefore I probably wouldn't be spending any SimCash for those last few items in order to make the upgrade. Having to store all of these expansion items puts a stress on my storage capacity, which limits how many items I can make which then makes it difficult to get make progress on Epic buildings or CoM. Having a feeder city essentially doubles my capacity to store and/or make new products making those aspects of the game far easier and me less likely to spend SimCash.

Therefore yes I agree with the OP. Feeder cities are not within the spirit of the game. If EA decides not to put an end to it (which I'm guessing they probably won't) the only alternative is to equalize the benefit feeder cities have by requiring more and more resources to make progress within the game. In my opinion they already have started doing this considering how difficult the last few expansions have been.

J

Message 3 of 11 (13,087 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Well, I will comment on behalf of those who use feeder cities, if the game allows it, you do have every right to leverage what ever you want and I don't judge you. The game is simply trying to get people to spend a lot of money and gamers found the loop hole. If it wasn't in app purchasing there wouldn't be a desire to progress through means such as this but I don't have time or the desire to run a second city and the little bit I have spent won't increase. In fact, maybe I am just at that point where it's wash, rinse and repeat.. my $15-20 spent was worth the entertainment time it gave me its all 😎...pink panther
Message 4 of 11 (12,999 Views)

★ Apprentice

I don't use a feeder city. I don't like that others do because it gives them an unfair advantage during the contest of mayors.

Message 5 of 11 (12,978 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
In the end, I just don't really take games that serious. They are meant to be fun and a pleasure yet I have seen players just go crazy about not ranking at a certain level, not advancing as fast as they want or feel they should. It's the journey, not the end that matters. Tinker around. Do what you want to do in the game. If you don't want to do Mayor contest but want some keys, do the easier things. If anyone is getting stressed about playing the game they are playing for the wrong reason and in the end you will be met with frustration and that's exactly what in app games want you to do because they hope you will knee * and spend to advance. I have a monthly allowance for in game spending and they aren't getting rich off of me. Sometimes I am in the mood to throw myself into contests sometimes I just want to work on expanding inventory. These games with in app purchases actually hire psychological help to find ways to encourage and get people to spend money, that's just so wrong, wrong, wrong. If you get disgusted about something put down the game, THINK, and reframe. Is a silly virtual app worth it. Consider giving your self spending treat when you are calm and have had time to think about it realistically. That's what I really don't like about these games. They tinker with people's psyche by dangling something in front of faces and making them think they've missed out on something. If the company folded tomorrow the city would be gone and all that money spent people will later look back and feel foolish. Life isn't in this game. It's out there and what everyone can do with their extra time can be profoundly more rewarding. Make a real miniature Shire or other enhancing activities. Enjoy this a little on the side. Video games are not bad per se. We do learn things and they can be fun. The most valuable lesson I learned was moderation in every respect. I am not free from falling into the pit holes. Our mistakes are lessons if we change the approach. I just like to help people. I want to run in app purchasing out of business because there are ways to do it that are realistic, affordable, and doesn't manipulate players. That's also why I don't Facebook. A bunch of this sign in with Facebook * is because Facebook gives kick backs to companies so they can get your information for people who go that way. Have fun, spend wisely and don't let them make you feel like you've missed out on a thing and in the end the one who misses out is them and they made their own bed. Peace out gang!
Message 6 of 11 (12,975 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Come on now get with it. Every major player out there now has at least one feeder/satellite city that is what you call smart and clever game strategy!! If there was something wrong with it then EA would not allow feeder/satellite cities but they no longer discourage it, in fact if you message support they will even tell you how to set one up
Message 7 of 11 (12,688 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Come on now get with it. Every major player out there now has at least one feeder/satellite city that is what you call smart and clever game strategy!! If there was something wrong with it then EA would not allow feeder/satellite cities but they no longer discourage it, in fact if you message support they will even tell you how to set one up...
Message 8 of 11 (12,687 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

That's not true. Not every major player has a feeder city. I don't. I don't have the need, or desire for one.

That said, I really don't see it as a big deal.

Message 9 of 11 (12,663 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I don't have one. I did try it but on IOS it's a pain. I have been playing for a bit longer now and it doesn't hinder my progress in game as I see it.its basically a sandbox game anyway. I have learned many valuable techniques to help me reach goals and one of those is more patience. In fact 2 cities to manage? No thank you. If you manage just 1 really well, you don't need 2. To each his own. Whatever edge it gives, isn't worth the time or trouble for me and I withdraw any judgement I placed. Thank you. 

Message 10 of 11 (12,566 Views)