CoM is worse than gambling

by ljgnemo

Original Post

CoM is worse than gambling

★★★ Newbie

Just finished the last round of CoM, in Megalopolis league.

Played a perfect game, selected and completed every single highest value task available at each step, no screw-ups, cheats, cancels or fails. Spent hours upon hours, about 400K in Simoleons and a couple grand in SimCash. Before you judge me how much time and effort I put into this thing, you will soon see this alone is not even enough to get the most valuable platinum keys.

http://imgur.com/AoCbx4S

Yes, the top spots probably all played perfect games. Being a sucker to have played so hard to finish the game a couple days early, I watched helplessly to see my ranking drop from first to 4th. I could care less about the ranking if not for the fact that the difference in reward is 5 fold... 250 to 50 platinum keys. And there is absolutely nothing I could do about it the moment the available tasks are assigned for the players in the group.

This is EA's response about the assignments and points: http://imgur.com/J0lxq8f

Basically they admitted in fact the tasks are randomly point-assigned, and did a poorly job justifying it with "balance" and "fairness". At this point I think anyone trying to reach the top of the higher leagues should realize, not only is CoM like gambling, it's worse than gambling.

In EA's help sections you will read things like "strategy" and "balance high point value vs time". And it is advertised as a "contest". The basics of a fair contest is the simple idea that there is something one can do to better and surpass someone else, and the rules and the game is the same for everyone. And that does not exist in CoM. There is NOTHING you can do after your tasks are "randomly" determined and everyone in the top spots play a perfect game, which at the the 250 platinum keys level, basically everyone does. And they even tell you the players reach the same point level will be judged based on who got there first... as if that ever matters in the top levels... To me it seems EA has gone way too over their heads trying to balance things that doesn't affect the "contest" and ignores a blatant fairness issue that has been reported multiple times...

So, things EA can do to fix it:

1. remove/increase task limits
  2. remove SimCash speed-ups during contest or make tasks specifically not able to be accelerated
  3. reduce the reward differential between prize levels
  4. include more slots in each prize level
  5. instead giving rewards directly tied to ranking, tie it to absolute point scale instead, and make that scale so that even given the random task points, everyone could reach it
Message 1 of 10 (1,444 Views)

Re: CoM is worse than gambling

★ Guide

I am surprised that you got a response from EA, the fatc that it was prbably a form letter notwithstanding...

Other than with ties, there seems to be no advantage to finishing the contest early. I have finished 2 of them at 15 minutes before the end and some days early with the same results. In fact, most players who are leading in the early stages and finish early do tend to fall at the end. I have to believe that in the end, it is the amount of points you earn that determine your finish, not when you earn them?

Message 2 of 10 (1,401 Views)

★ Apprentice

I wonder that in CoM do the points of tasks go up slightly up towards the end of the competition? Are the points related at all to a final score of a mayor that has completed all tasks and is at the top? I guess they would have to give the remaining mayors the ability to win. Would 'strategy' then dictate how and when to start and finish all tasks. Strategy would then be a risk/reward schism. Risk not finishing tasks for the benefit of earning slightly higher points by attempting to finish them later in the competition. Especially the production tasks. Not sure just my thoughts.

Message 3 of 10 (1,390 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@ljgnemo wrote:

So, things EA can do to fix it:

1. remove/increase task limits
  2. remove SimCash speed-ups during contest or make tasks specifically not able to be accelerated
  3. reduce the reward differential between prize levels
  4. include more slots in each prize level
  5. instead giving rewards directly tied to ranking, tie it to absolute point scale instead, and make that scale so that even given the random task points, everyone could reach it

Wow, It's impressing how thorough you are! I personally like the idea to compete against the points not other mayors -- in that case it could be 100 winners in each group, which is fine with me Standard smile I think when you try to reach a certain level it motivates you more, and clear expectations help with overcoming frustration!
Message 4 of 10 (1,341 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Yeah I've given up on the CoM - I've played perfectly quite a few times and finished out of the promotion level.  FRUSTRATING and a waste of time.  You're right - there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how / where you finish the contest, and no way to plan your startegy given a set of rules.  In other words - no rules in the CoM - basically you just throw a bunch of money in the air and hope some of it floats back your way in the wind.

Also have given up on the OMEGA update - that makes no sense and winds up being a SImcash soending spree - of course that is what EA wants ......

The should have opened up more expansion slots in conjunction with OMEGA update - big screw up on EA's part.

Has enuff with this game - time to take up another endeavor - I think poking myself with a sharp stick would be more enjoyable ....

Message 5 of 10 (1,326 Views)

★★ Guide

I had different fortunes since it began I won several times and have lost several times I won grand prize recently in the seasons of 4K simcash my score was of 121940 that with using 5 golden tickets was second  in the next one won 2k but since the seasons ended had no such luck as the game has only been feeding me task only worth between 2k and 1600 and I finish on the last one with 103k 7th place and last week in 7th place with 97k and if I had used 2 golden tickets last week been in the big prize instead only won a small prize. But at least as I had no task that needed cheetah speeds so the 3 gold speeds was a bonus making the number up to 73 cheetah. But I have 12k simcash from all the wins I have had. So maybe the game is been fair to me letting me win the lottery several times. This week I stated off good the first 27 task I had over 2k average then I not sure what want wrong as task 27 I got a 1440 task so did one that was slightly higher than that at 1540 that was the highest one then got wood at 1740 and I only just got a 2k delivery task at 2k but not enough to recover from getting my average back to 2222 now only worth 1921 big drop so going to only win a small prize this week as it works out that 1921 avenge at the end only have 95k and not the usual 107k I did however when I won I completed all 50 task score was at 113k and I used all golden tickets just as well it was a close call as I was in first place with 121940 points 210 points more than the player in second in the seasons. Not done so well since it's ended thought.

looks like I stop wining in the none seasons and when it matters I do win. So I should be happy if I only win the seasons

Message 6 of 10 (1,190 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

this is my gripe how come that mixed lvl in the seasons in the neighbourhood league and how come that in some leaders boards that some can get promoted with just walking it with only 13k while I work my socks off to get 36k and failed to be promoted because end in 35th position. Another thing is why was I put into a leader board with all hardcore players while other leader boards get off scot free. They don't need to left a finger to be promoted it just happens. Like as if think I just do one or 2 tasks then just sit back and wait. Lucky them. It's about time that EA put all hard core player in different groups rather than mine, then the lazy ones soon get off their arses and play the game properly. Thank you very much I am a sure loser when I find all the hard core players are lumped together in one group.

Message 7 of 10 (1,027 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Oops posted twice 

Message 8 of 10 (997 Views)

★★ Guide

Yep I was right the last time I had 35k and was 7th this MON I had over 36k and was placed 35th so why a big difference in positions other in other leader boards every friend I seen only needed to get promoted minimum of 13k whereas in my leaderboard needed to get minimum of 40k to get the promotion in the neighbourhood league WHY SUCH A BIG SCORES IN MY LEADER BOARD NOT IN ANY ONE ELSES? something is rigged in mine I am sure of it after looking at different friends leader boards some only earned 27k and came in the first 6 yet in mine the first 6 had all over 40 to 44k and I wonder why I can't get promoted because I been lumped together with all hard core players. I have my suspections? That somethings not right, if mine is the only one with every single player in my leader board all getting pretty high score for just the neighbourhood league. I hope it not going to be the same starting in a few hours time I got more of the same, in that case failure is interment on getting the cosino buildings I think I might quit as if the same thing going to happen again it's pointless carrying on.

Message 9 of 10 (992 Views)

★★ Guide

I been doing good since I failed the first leg I been come up in the first 2 since and in the one I failed the first time with 36k I won second place second time round with 36k. I came second in the Suberban league same again in town and at the moment am in first in the city  at 70k and still working on the last 3 tasks and not a single golden ticket used only use if am in danger of not been promoted so far so good no need crossing fingers I save them till I reach Megropolas again.

Message 10 of 10 (901 Views)