Re: Origin turning off internet connection?

by Flatlander_PC

Original Post

Origin turning off internet connection?

★★★ Newbie

Everytime I open origin and try to play SimCity in particular the internet connection is severed completely. I have noticed this happens when I play the Sims 3 as well however that is not an issue as it doesn't require the internet to play unlike SimCity.

I have been trying for several weeks to get help from EA but they seem to either ignore the actual problem or have no idea how to solve it themselves, is anyone else having this problem or found a work-around?

Message 1 of 6 (8,416 Views)

★★★ Newbie

it also doesnt wanna let me activate my darkspore on anything and keeps makeing me back out i just bought the game 2

Message 2 of 6 (8,397 Views)

★★ Guide

How is your machine connected to your router/modem?

Wireless, wired? What model is your router/modem? When it disconnects you does it drop your whole internet connection or reboot your modem or just disconnect your machine you are playing on?

Check the modem/router manufacturer for any firmware updates if possible.

Quick thing to do would be search Google for any known issues with the modem/router. 

On BF3 a number of players were affected because the ISP provided router couldn't handle the packets over wifi and dropped the connection to the PC.

Message 3 of 6 (8,384 Views)

★★★ Novice

bazajaytee wrote: 

On BF3 a number of players were affected because the ISP provided router couldn't handle the packets over wifi and dropped the connection to the PC.

Yeah, that is a common problem to do with the MTU settings on the router etc..

Message 4 of 6 (8,370 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@springerofnotts wrote:

Everytime I open origin and try to play SimCity in particular the internet connection is severed completely. I have noticed this happens when I play the Sims 3 as well however that is not an issue as it doesn't require the internet to play unlike SimCity.

I have been trying for several weeks to get help from EA but they seem to either ignore the actual problem or have no idea how to solve it themselves, is anyone else having this problem or found a work-around?

It is to do with your own computer settings &/or hardware, and EA doesn't give support on end user hardware..

This might be a bit confusing, but try to read through it..

1. Make sure Windows is allowing SimCity through the Windows Firewall.. (Click; "Windows Firewall" in Network & Sharing Settings, then Click; "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall" and see if SimCity is shown in the list & if it is ticked under "Private" etc..

2. Make sure you DON'T have multiple Virus Scanning Software on your computer, running at the same time (Windows Security Essentials, Windows Defender, Norton's etc etc), as multiple Virus Scanning software running at the same, WILL conflict with each other, where certain software will close all Network Ports if it detects an security issue from the internet & others might try to use specific Network Ports or the software will conflict & not work at all in the Windows Registry etc..

3. Make sure your Network Interface Controller is fully updated & running properly with Windows &/or other network devices...

Message 5 of 6 (8,368 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Had this type of problem downloading a different game from Origin. I looked and I was connected both over ethernet and wifi. Disconnected the ethernet, allowed it to go only over wifi, and now we are all good. expect the Comcast gateway was getting confused by the traffic, because it was shutting off everything but the power.

FYI: running Windows 7, downloading over a 250 Mbps connection via Comcast all-in-one gateway. 

Message 6 of 6 (6,894 Views)