Re: Update/download problem

by DBWoodynz

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Update/download problem

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello,

I have a problem starting the game. When the Patch 3.3.2 came out, the game started an update that could never be completed. That is, it got to 100% and just stood there, not giving me access. I tried several times, but always got the same problem. I did launcher repair, and launcher diag. Nothing helped. I then uninstalled the game wanting to install it again. Now I can't even do that, it just stays there with the message that it initialized the download, but stays at 0% all the time.

Thanx

Message 1 of 3 (867 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero

Here are some options you can do provided in their basic troubleshooting steps for your firewall:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/INFO-Common-Issues-and-Solutions/m-p/4832485/hig...

Try these first, below are steps that I have found online in the swtor forums posted by others such as Owenbrooks.  I take no credit for these steps but they are options to try.  I would start with the firewall steps in the link above first and then go from there:

1. Run the launcher and log in.
2. Open the task manager on your computer (shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+Esc).
3. Select the Processes tab. On Windows 7, sort by image name and look for any starting with "br", they should be listed as belonging to Bitraider in the description column. In Windows 8.1, scroll down to the Background Processes and look for any Bitraider listings. Right click and end them. Don't worry if they come back.
4. Select the Services tab. In Windows 7, click on the button in the lower right corner that says Services. In 8.1, click the link at the bottom that says Open Services.
5. In the Services window, sort the list by the Name column, and look for BitRaider Mini-Support Service. Right click on it and select properties.
6. On the General tab, about halfway down, there should be a dropdown menu that says Startup type. Make sure it is set to "Automatic". Hit Apply the OK.
7. Close the Services window, the task manager, and the game launcher. Then restart the entire computer.
8. When computer has restarted, run the launcher and log in. The download process should now start properly.

Been seeing this posted so hopefully that helps. If not you can try these options too:

Delete the DiskCacheArena file under the swtor directory.

If that doesn't work, you can also try running a repair:

Non-Streaming launcher - Log into the launcher but don't click Play. Check for small letters "ST" in the bottom left corner. If this is NOT present, click the cog icon and then run the repair option.

Streaming launcher - If the letters "ST" is present, close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder. Then start the launcher.

Worse case scenario switch to the non streaming launcher:

NOTE this is a complete download of the game again

right mouse click on game shortcut and select open file location

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line and edit to the below

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"
, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.
Delete the BitRaider, Movie and Asset folders then start the launcher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (919 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

Here are some options you can do provided in their basic troubleshooting steps for your firewall:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/INFO-Common-Issues-and-Solutions/m-p/4832485/hig...

Try these first, below are steps that I have found online in the swtor forums posted by others such as Owenbrooks.  I take no credit for these steps but they are options to try.  I would start with the firewall steps in the link above first and then go from there:

1. Run the launcher and log in.
2. Open the task manager on your computer (shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+Esc).
3. Select the Processes tab. On Windows 7, sort by image name and look for any starting with "br", they should be listed as belonging to Bitraider in the description column. In Windows 8.1, scroll down to the Background Processes and look for any Bitraider listings. Right click and end them. Don't worry if they come back.
4. Select the Services tab. In Windows 7, click on the button in the lower right corner that says Services. In 8.1, click the link at the bottom that says Open Services.
5. In the Services window, sort the list by the Name column, and look for BitRaider Mini-Support Service. Right click on it and select properties.
6. On the General tab, about halfway down, there should be a dropdown menu that says Startup type. Make sure it is set to "Automatic". Hit Apply the OK.
7. Close the Services window, the task manager, and the game launcher. Then restart the entire computer.
8. When computer has restarted, run the launcher and log in. The download process should now start properly.

Been seeing this posted so hopefully that helps. If not you can try these options too:

Delete the DiskCacheArena file under the swtor directory.

If that doesn't work, you can also try running a repair:

Non-Streaming launcher - Log into the launcher but don't click Play. Check for small letters "ST" in the bottom left corner. If this is NOT present, click the cog icon and then run the repair option.

Streaming launcher - If the letters "ST" is present, close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder. Then start the launcher.

Worse case scenario switch to the non streaming launcher:

NOTE this is a complete download of the game again

right mouse click on game shortcut and select open file location

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line and edit to the below

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"
, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.
Delete the BitRaider, Movie and Asset folders then start the launcher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 2 of 3 (920 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Had you of been nice enough to provide "Logs" I would have expected to have found bitraider errors or patch cannot retrieve errors.

Firewall exclusions will need updating

If you have Windows 10 (*Simular Navigation for Windows 7/8 also type "Windows Firewall into the search click advanced).

Click on the "Notifications"

(The page looking icon in the bottom right down by your clock).

Then "VPN"

"Windows Firewall"

Now on the Left Hand Side "Advanced Settings".

Here in the Left Hand Top Corner you will see "Inbound Rules".

You will want to have all 3 exclusions for "Swtor Launcher.exe" "Swtor Bitraider.exe" and finally "Swtor.exe Retail"

*You may have to manually add these.

Click "New Rule" Top Right. 

Program > Next>

This Program Path: > Browse> "Navigate to the desired *.exe listed above.  > Next

"Allow the Connection" << VERY VERY IMPORTANT.

"Tick all 3" >Next

"Give it a Name" > Click Finish

*Do this for all 3 exe's ensure that you do the same for "Outbound Rules" also.

**If you already have these exclusions then simply double clicking them 1 at a time to view their "properties" is enough to revalidate them.

QUOTE=OwenBrooks (*credit where credit is due)

ESET - disable protocol filtering
Kaspersky - disable scan secure/encrypted connections
Nortons (Firewall) set exception to Allow instead of Auto

**All that said I have manually changed all 3 exe's to run as administrator also by right clicking and selecting properties for each one, this in turn provides them with an elevated level to combat many of the new windows settings.

Message 3 of 3 (766 Views)