Re: Still having Unspecified Errors

by proxos666

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Still having Unspecified Errors

★★ Novice

Greetings, all -

I posted about a week or two ago about my launcher program having constant unspecified errors, which required a great deal of repairs each time I want to run SWTOR, so logging in was a 20+ minute process. I attempted to explain that I had tried every step suggested on various forum threads, to no avail. The last suggestion I received was from 'OwenBrooks', suggesting that I disable the Bit Raider launcher entirely, and switch to the 'old school' launcher. This, as many may know, required a full re-install, a process, given the non-torrent style, that took 18 hours to do. But on Sunday - it was finished, and working. I attempted to login today - 'This application has encountered an unspecified error - please try this patch again.' I am at my wits end. I love this game, but this left 'Masochistically Ridiculous' behind several 'solutions'' ago. The entire forums resetting clean was just the icing on the cake. If anyone has any ideas, I'm listening.

Message 1 of 10 (912 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Hey there -

I figured out what was wrong with it - an incredibly weird error; I have no idea what might have been the cause of it. Apparently, after my re-install after ditching Bitraider and getting the old launcher, the game shortcut attached itself to a stray copy of launcher.exe in my downloads folder, instead of the one in my usual SWTOR folder. How is that for random? I changed the paths on the shortcut to the game, and voila, no more error. Standard smile

View in thread

Message 6 of 10 (866 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

Could it be something with your computer? Maybe try a virus scan or malwarebytes?

Sounds frustrating. 

Message 2 of 10 (901 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@dariusknight777 I have a dentist appointment in an hour, otherwise I would be on this now..

If you private message me a point of contact (ideally Skype) I will be able to help you further with this issue using the 'share screens' function of skype.

I've been retired since I turned 30, so sing out with a day and time, I should be around.

*That is if it interests you.

Message 3 of 10 (893 Views)

★★ Novice

I've run 2 Malware Bytes scans and 2 scans with ESET Security Suite. I've also triple checked to make certain that all of the requisite files have exceptions. These are the days when I both am sad and glad I can't force choke. Standard smile

Message 4 of 10 (888 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm going to keep working on it - I tried calling Bioware Customer Service, and the CSR that I spoke with... let's say he was so distracted I had to ask if I was 'bothering him' by calling for assistance. If I can't get it, I would appreciate the Skype assist. Will keep this updated.

Message 5 of 10 (886 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey there -

I figured out what was wrong with it - an incredibly weird error; I have no idea what might have been the cause of it. Apparently, after my re-install after ditching Bitraider and getting the old launcher, the game shortcut attached itself to a stray copy of launcher.exe in my downloads folder, instead of the one in my usual SWTOR folder. How is that for random? I changed the paths on the shortcut to the game, and voila, no more error. Standard smile

Message 6 of 10 (867 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Lol, I am glad that you got it sorted in the end... sounds like you did something weird there.

Message 7 of 10 (858 Views)

[ Edited ]

Wow that is weird , I was going to say unspecified error shouldn't even be possible after disabling bitraider.

Glad to hear you found why.

Noticed you mentioned ESET , one setting I have found cause issues from time to time is protocol filtering.

If you find a future launcher issue , keep in mind to disable protocol filtering just in case.

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 8 of 10 (833 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Over a week of following swtor's instructions of delete and try again umpteen times I was about to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing but thought of this post.  On a whim I just deleted the whole Bit Raider file and tried to log in.  It downloaded what I needed and I haven't had a problem since.

Message 9 of 10 (722 Views)

★★★ Newbie

If you have the error delete the bitraider file in the program, it then forces the launcher to repair and redownload the file.  It does save a good 15 to 20 minutes as it just has to repair the one file rather than have to download the whole launcher and program again.

Message 10 of 10 (660 Views)