Re: SLI/Crossfire

by menacexxxnz

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice
Save the obvious obnoxious meaningless replies and try being constructive.
All cpus are not the same. And in the absolute most cases it'd related to a multicore CPU that handles swtor threads badly. The rest cases are usually due to wrong power settings.
So yes the problem is very much cpu related. Ive tried absolutely everything with all kinds of third-party software and to absolute minimum gain.
I play fps games like battlefield 4 and hardline. In eyefinity 120fps+ easy.
2x 7970 in crossfire. 32 GB ram. And a fx8350 @4.5 GHz. Dual ssd in raid0. So yeah, ofc I get 120+ fps in those games.
So strange then I get 15 fps in voidstar. Or the entire game freeze on makeb Mesa arena on bridge.
... No mate.
Message 11 of 31 (696 Views)

★ Guide

@Ptiwhisky wrote:

I tell you again the cpu is not bottleneck Wink 

If it was all cpus will be. 

4930k at 4.8Ghz is fine.

Yes, the CPU is fine. But it's still the bottleneck.

Just do the small test I wrote in the last reply.

Message 12 of 31 (691 Views)

★★ Apprentice

The test you've just show that the engine is not using properly a CPU. 

Even at low settings, an i7 4930K or 5960X with overclock on it will always have more instructions power than an FX4100.

That's the problem, the game don't use all components power, CPU and GPU and with multiple cards it 's worse.

Message 13 of 31 (686 Views)

★ Guide

@Ptiwhisky wrote:

The test you've just show that the engine is not using properly a CPU. 

Even at low settings, an i7 4930K or 5960X with overclock on it will always have more instructions power than an FX4100.

That's the problem, the game don't use all components power, CPU and GPU and with multiple cards it 's worse.

Exactly. The game is not using the CPU properly. And that's why the CPU is the bottleneck.

Ofc those i7s are far better than the crappy FX. I was just giving an example with my current build.

Why would you want to use SLI anyway when a single GPU is more than enough and SLI is unable to further increase FPS?

Yes the game doesn't use everything that a modern PC can offer and the things that it actually uses are not used perfectly well.

Problem with that is that BW would have to rewrite most of the games code to make it 64bit, multi-threaded, SLI-optimised and what not and currently it's not worth the effort for them.

Message 14 of 31 (684 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Exactly. And it's a crying shame. Such a beautiful game needs to be played on ultra.
Message 15 of 31 (675 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Morning all..

Could I please ask which OS are you currently using?

Reason.. I have.

i5 4960k not oc

Sabertooth mk2 z97

16gig 1600Mhz

Geforce 960ftw

Nothing water cooled because I'm lazy.

100 fps in game on Ultra dropping to 70-80 fps in warzones.

All the time the Vcard is at ~40 useage as it is bored.

I'm aware that SLI and Crossfire do have issues, but they are minor if your struggling to match what I have just provided then it will be your OS and Software setups/configs giving you grief , they will needs attention too.

About here I would be suggesting Turn off all your overlays, sort out your power settings, kill Windows Aero as that in itself can use ~40% of your system resources just to have a translucent taskbar..... just to name a few.

Some days I'm surprised that my X1100t using an HD7770 Vcard beats the * out of folks with systems more then double the cost of mine for in game fps performance..

Message 16 of 31 (662 Views)

★★ Novice

Seems to me some confusion on this thread. The user doesn't seem to be saying that he is getting poor perofmrancep er se, only that it's actually getting worse when using dual GPU's thus this is not going to have anything to do with a CPU bottleneck.

The issue is going to lie generally speaking as driver level. SLI/Crossfire at best a finicky things to begin with and when you start mixing in newer hardware with newer drivers into an older game is where you are going to start seeing issues. You could try older drivers and see what happens but to be honest I think this is going to cause you more incompatibility issues overall with your PC than what it MIGHT solve with SLI in this game.

Generally from observation the people who have had greatest success with SLI were people on much older GPU's - the general complaints for SLI and this game come from newer GPU's which leads me to my above conclusions.

As to why you only see 50% GPU utilisation ( seperate issue from SLI ) then that is generally due to indeed most of the instructions being needed to be completed by the CPU as opposed to the GPU ( simplifying things here ) thus in that regard in does indeed become the bottleneck. Interestingly though with the new AA options I've at least managed to get the game to max out my GPU ( r9 290 ) though I'm wondering if this is more a driver issue than what "should" be happening becuase it occurs even on medium AA and I get really bad performance. NOt really playing the game play itself ( just doing GTN stuff, crew skills daily ) until 4.0 so haven't bothered trying to fix yet.

The key to it all is really what sort of performance you are getting on 1 card and is it in relation to the CPU you are running? I.e. you should be getting 100 FPs in most zones with drops to 50+ in WZs/OPs I would think at that CPU speed.

As for SLI if you've tried most suggestions then not much else you can do beyond playing with different drivers to be honest.

Message 17 of 31 (656 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the reply it's exactly that, maybe it's time to make improvement on the game x64/DX11 etc.....

Message 18 of 31 (642 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Would imply recoding the game in an entirely new engine. Sorry to say that, not gonna happen (unless it's called SWTOR 2).

And yes, Hero Engine doesn't exploit CPU and GPU power to the max, to say the least.

Message 19 of 31 (634 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Any up from a dev here?

Message 20 of 31 (609 Views)