Re: Game Launching Issues

by DBWoodynz

Original Post

Game Launching Issues

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

So my game was working just fine @ 5760X1080 I had no issues at all.  Then about 8 days ago when I launched the game I keep getting a error about needing to run in admin mode, can't remember the text.  So I would run the launcher fix and that seem to work for a couple of days, then it just wouldn't load any more. So I found this fix where you fix the launcher .ini and then it ends up downloading the client all over.  

So today I try to run the game and it wouldn't launch into the 5760X1080 resolution. Everything I tried won't work.  I even edited the client_settings.  Still no dice.

Message 1 of 8 (682 Views)

Hero
They have a section for common issues found here:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/INFO-Common-Issues-and-Solutions/m-p/4832443

Have you checked it out yet to see if anything works?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 2 of 8 (663 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Would it be possible for you to provide a few logs? (*Expecting spamage).

c:/program files/electronic arts/BioWare/starwars-the old republic/LOGS

Open Last LOG

COPY

PASTE

*You can just right click the swtor short cut on your desktop and select "Open File Location" you will then seen the Logs folder near the top.

Message 3 of 8 (655 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

So here is a link to my log. Figured it would be better then posting it here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109204419/launcher_20151006.log

So I ended up uninstalling clean. Then re downloading an installing clean.  Still won't open full screen 5760X1080  I can open a windowed version and size it to the screen mostly, but just doesn't look right. Really kinda frustrating since it worked before with no problems.

Oh and here is my DXDiag as well.

http://hastebin.com/xewizudozu.tex

Message 4 of 8 (500 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Nice AoC 3d monitors x3.... mmmmKay.

Lets give this a whirl sir, be nice as I only have a 2 monitor set up and I'm quite sensitive about it.

Without your game running.

Please click Start and in the search bar type %appdata/%

At the top Navigate back from the "Roaming" folder back to "Appdata"; now click on "Local".

Scroll down until you find "Swtor", Open this folder and its sub-folders (Swtor/Settings) until you can find "Client Settings"

Here you will wish to manually change these lines...

WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0

NativeHeight = 1080 (This should be your screens 'native resolution')
NativeWidth = 5760 (This should be your screens 'native resolution')

Height = 1080 (This should be your screens 'native resolution')

Width = 5760 (This should be your screens 'native resolution')

*here is where you can factor in those additional screens with ease; I am unclear if 3 screens allows you to play in true full screen; but I would expect 'fullscreen (windowed)' setting to work a treat.

**FullScreen Windowed settings below

D3DFullScreen = false 

FullScreen = true

Close and Save, you should be good to go.

Because you were nice enough to provide your logs I was able to see a few other things you may wish to address .... totally your call.

*Adjusting your power settings to high will sadly kill the planet faster and being a gamer we will all cry.. but this needs to be done to feed your 970... its hungery, this will stop many of those annoying fps drops that you have been experiencing.

Seeing that you are running Windows 10 I can only hope that you are aware that it by default contains a world of * that has to be (*well should be) turned off to make solid improvements to your gameplay. 

Message 5 of 8 (439 Views)

★ Novice

Could you elaborate on the later part ?

Because you were nice enough to provide your logs I was able to see a few other things you may wish to address .... totally your call.

*Adjusting your power settings to high will sadly kill the planet faster and being a gamer we will all cry.. but this needs to be done to feed your 970... its hungery, this will stop many of those annoying fps drops that you have been experiencing.

Seeing that you are running Windows 10 I can only hope that you are aware that it by default contains a world of * that has to be (*well should be) turned off to make solid improvements to your gameplay. 

Message 6 of 8 (334 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Sorry for the late response...

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Guide-quot-How-to-install-Swtor-Correctly-and-ad...

Refers to many of them; they main thing to remember is that Windows 10 is constantly updating so some settings can take people by surprise.

Overlays are presently a very big hit or miss, everyone has a different experience with them; but my rule of thumb is turn them off even the xbox app overlay which is turned on for all Windows 10 users by default even if you do not own an xbox; frustratingly you have to actually have a Microsoft account login to access the settings.

Adjusting many of your more commonly used programs to "Run as Admin" ie Ventrilo, TeamSpeak... your games.

Have to be aware that there is a google chrome issue that can effect 'some' users not all luckily..

Message 7 of 8 (330 Views)

★ Novice

thank you for the link and the info. I did sorta fix my issue. I got the game to run in full screen mode by changing the refresh rate from 60 to 59.  Kinda odd that 1Hz makes that much of a difference, but it did.

Message 8 of 8 (307 Views)