GTX 980 crashing in Swtor

by Rhenaar

Original Post

GTX 980 crashing in Swtor

★ Apprentice

Allright here we go.

There seems to be a problem with either the latest Windows 10 update and swtor, or it must be a problem triggered by the latest patch as of today (10th of december 2015).

What happens is the game stalls for about 2 seconds whenever ingame, black screen pops up, GPU retriggers and for some people there is a crash to desktop, for some there is a hard crash, for me it is my GPU going to 1/4th of it's speed.

Currently i run a Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme, which is overclocked to 1493 Mhz on the core clock. Before the Windows 10 update and patch from swtor everything was competely fine, no issues at all. Now i get the problem as described above. I have tried the latest drivers from Nvidia, i even rolled back to a driver from which i knew it worked before, but no changes.

My guess is there is something conflicting between swtor and the latest Windows 10 update, but i cannot seem to find out what exactly. What do you need?

Message 1 of 13 (1,886 Views)

Re: GTX 980 crashing in Swtor

★ Apprentice

Problem found and solved: totally forgot that Windows 10 utilizes ALL of the graphic cards in the system, including the Intel built in video adapter from the processor. I updated the drivers of that one and no more crashes.

Message 2 of 13 (1,873 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hmmm problem is back again, so issue is still there. Cannot find the solution.

Message 3 of 13 (1,860 Views)

★ Apprentice

So since Bioware/EA lacks to give answers once more to game breaking bugs, i will bump my own thread. I also made a post on the Nvidia forums. Multiple people have starting to get the problem that i have. GPU's going berserk after the latest Windows 10 update (big november update) ONLY in SWTOR. So how about some answers?

Copy from Nvidia thread that i made:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all. Since there has been 0 reply from Bioware/EA i will post a thread here to see if there is anything known about a gamebreaking issue in Star Wars The Old Republic.

Multiple people in this game have been complaining about having GPU problems after the latest Windows 10 update. As of this date, 16th december 2015, all installed updates to Windows 10 apparently interfere with SOMETHING when playing The Old Republic. It's just absolutely unclear what exactly. One thing to mention is that it only happens in that game. I have 0 problems with any other game like Anno 2205, Elder Scrolls Online, hell even the alpha from Star Citizen doesn't give me any GPU problems.

So what's the deal? What happens is that people get in game and either they all of a sudden end up in a 2 second blackscreen, followed up by a loading screen, they check their GPU's and it has become static. I did some readings and usually my GTX 980 runs @ 1493 Mhz, after the loading screen it runs at 536 ish. I don't think that is my actual GPU, but that it is my video adapter from the 4770K.

Other people get a dxgmms2.sys BSOD or a total game freeze.

Again, i post this thread here because nobody gets any response from Bioware/EA. I have tried multiple drivers, from the latest to going back to october drivers, nothing works. I have no idea what causes the problems but it has to do something with the latest Windows 10 update/drivers/game. Before the november update from W10 PRO everything was still fine in SWTOR.

So the question is: does anyone have any ideas what causes this problem? Why it only happens in SWTOR and no other game, or is there someone who already came across a fix for example? Thank you for the feedback!

System:
i7 4770K @ 4.3 Ghz
Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 980 @ 1493 Mhz
ASUS Z87 PRO
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 Mhz
2x Samsung EVO SSD
1x Westgate 1TB HD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 13 (1,831 Views)

Hero

I would try or check out the solutions posted here to see if any of them resolve the issue:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=799503

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 5 of 13 (1,818 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you for the post mate. I read the thread and someone linked this url: http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=8109. Downloaded and installed it and that totally did the trick for me. Thank you!

Message 6 of 13 (1,804 Views)

★ Apprentice

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the problem is back again. The game worked completely fine for one day. Day two: some problems all over again.

Message 7 of 13 (1,782 Views)

★ Novice

I have two 970's SLI with the same issue as most with just one 980 GTX.   Just think the game is incompatible with newer cards.  I'm cancelling my subscription until the problem is fixed, sadly.

Message 8 of 13 (1,776 Views)

★ Apprentice

If you are running Windows 10 as i am, there might be the issue with the latest Windows 10 build (november update) and current drivers from at least Nvidia. It seems something has been changed within DirectX 12 after the november update and current drivers are not able to properly work with that.

I rolled back to 347.88 drivers (because of the non DirectX 12 support) and i will keep you posted about how that works.

Message 9 of 13 (1,769 Views)

★ Apprentice

* it, i am done trying to fix it. Nothing i did changed anything in the end. The ONLY game this is happening to for me is swtor. I can play GTA V, Star Citzen Alpha, Elder Scrolls Online, League of Legends, Anno 2205. All without ANY problems, just swtor crashes 24/7.
I hope anyone else can find a fix, i am done trying.

Message 10 of 13 (1,761 Views)