Can't fully uninstall SWTOR or even delete setup

by PidgeonsRoost

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Can't fully uninstall SWTOR or even delete setup

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

After uninstalling SWTOR the following files remain in the games folder and cannot be deleted, moved, or opened.

bitraider\bin\brwc.exe

swtor\retailclient\swtor.exe

vrwc_swtor.exe

And the games installer, SWTOR_setup.exe, cannot be deleted, moved, or opened from my downloads folder.

If anyone has found a solution to this issue please reply, I haven't dealt with a program as stubborn as a virus before.

Message 1 of 6 (5,084 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't fully uninstall SWTOR or even delete setup

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Appears to be a Conflict with Malwarebytes, turning off the software resolved the issue, which seems a bit suspect...

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (5,403 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@PidgeonsRoost

Unless something is running in the background it should be able to be deleted.  The only thing I can think of is if your not an administrator.  If that is not the case then try restarting your computer first then go in and delete the folders.

If it doesn't work please provide the error message you are receiving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 2 of 6 (5,061 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Am an Administrator, no backround processes relating to the files, have restarted and shutdown/shuton multiple times.

Attrached the error message I've recieved when I attempt to delete a singular file in the install directory, when deleting multiple files or the whole folder it acts as if it has worked untill I refresh.

EDIT: This is the same error message I receive when attempting to delete SWTOR_setup.exe from my download folder. I've installed the game again, putting a new setup in a different folder, since the one thats in downloads isnt working and that one is also locked. Loving this game and its fine polish.

Message 3 of 6 (5,052 Views)

Hero

@PidgeonsRoost

The error you posted specifically states that it needs administrator permission to make the change / delete.  This is a computer generated message not from the game itself.

You can try right-click the main folder the files are in and checking the folder permission to ensure no unusual permissions are set or even changing the permissions of the folder which will apply to everything in it to set to allow all or something and then try to delete again.

Whatever is going on the computer itself is not allowing the files to be removed.

If there are other users on the computer, try disabling or removing them or setting all of them as admins and trying to delete again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

– Yoda

Message 4 of 6 (5,045 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Appears to be a Conflict with Malwarebytes, turning off the software resolved the issue, which seems a bit suspect...

Message 5 of 6 (5,404 Views)

Hero

@PidgeonsRoost

It's possible it could have read it as a false positive.  I used to use malwarebytes but I was also getting issues with it.  I currently use Super AntiSpyware

– Yoda

Message 6 of 6 (5,030 Views)