Re: BitRaider

by EIiteForce

Original Post

Accepted Solution

BitRaider

★★ Novice

Does this really effect the download speed?  If so, can someone walk me through removing it?

Message 1 of 12 (22,974 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero
Bit raider means you are using the streaming version of the client which downloads as you play.

It can effect speed among other things which is why a lot of people stop using it. Here are the instructions for removing it.

right mouse click on game shortcut and select open file location

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line and edit to the below

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"
, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.
Delete the BitRaider, Movie and Asset folders then start the launcher.

A user Owenbrooks made this when the old customer service section was up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.

View in thread

Message 2 of 12 (24,648 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero
Bit raider means you are using the streaming version of the client which downloads as you play.

It can effect speed among other things which is why a lot of people stop using it. Here are the instructions for removing it.

right mouse click on game shortcut and select open file location

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line and edit to the below

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"
, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.
Delete the BitRaider, Movie and Asset folders then start the launcher.

A user Owenbrooks made this when the old customer service section was up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 2 of 12 (24,649 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

This method works, without any issue.

Just a warning, it will redownload all of the games assets, which is about 25 GB downloads. So don't do this 5 minutes before your raid if to start.

Download speeds are a lot higher without the BitRaider client.

Message 3 of 12 (22,953 Views)

★★ Novice

As mentioned above be aware of a very long download process, I just did this in the weekend after accidentally deleting my old install and it took just under 24 hours to totally redownload the game. Speeds were all over the place from 100K/s to 3.5 M/s.

Certainly worth it in the long run though as bit raider is renound for causing all sorts of issues within the game.

Message 4 of 12 (22,932 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Actually the download speed won`t be much faster, but somehow the bitraider launcher always downloads between 2-10 times more compared to the "old" launcher.

Also the reorganizing part from the bitraider launcher causes high unnecessary harddrive load which will decrease the lifespan of ssd harddrives.

So in my opinion it is worth switching.

Message 5 of 12 (22,872 Views)

Champion (Retired)

The Bitraider is nothing more then a built in torrent for allowing people to download the game without placing the servers under load.

The benefit of using the normal "ST" client is that you can play the starting planets sooner, the entire game will download faster, and finally  due to the client differences it will validate all your game files and ensure that your game folder does not experience 'bloat', as has been my case in the past where my swtor folder was over 50 gigs. (the normal size should be ~25-30 gigs).

The Old Client is slower to download the game but doesn't have to deal with Re-Organizing files and those related processes per patch and the Game Repair Icon works; where as the "ST" client requires you to delete the "Bitraider Folder" prior to running the Launcher to enact a "Repair".

Message 6 of 12 (22,862 Views)

★★ Novice

I will tell you it is a lot better without it. As everyone has said you will have to download the entire game all over. My suggestion would be to wait til after 4.0 drops since it will be a 10-15gb patch by itself. Especially if you have a data cap on your internet. If you still need help send me a PM and I can walk you through it. I did an extra step after removing bitraider which involves the game not actually being installed on my system/registry. Runs a whole lot faster.

Message 7 of 12 (22,856 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

a day later, im having issues like the OP. Im not fantastic with computers when it comes to code or game files. I googled the glitch i was having and it said delete bitraider folder. i dd that. launcher wouldnt initialize the game. rerunning installer. it still says st but its at 25 percent and i cant play, even though my character is on korriban(i.e. a starting planet.) did i do something wrong?

edit-it IS however downloading WAY faster than it did the first time

Message 8 of 12 (22,624 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@EIiteForce wrote:

Actually the download speed won`t be much faster *snip*

My connection did 2mbyte / s max with BitRaider, now I got rid of it I easily get up 15-16 MByte / s. Heck of a difference

Message 9 of 12 (22,448 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My experience has been quite the opposite. I started downloading after a four year absence from it and it whizzed to 88% but suddenly froze. I found this thread, done exactly everything (YES I AM AWARE THAT IT WAS GOING TO RESTART THE WHOLE DOWNLOAD) deleted the three folders and the download has gone really slow. I should have just been patient in hindsight otherwise I'd have been playing the game at least 15 hours ago, but here I am still downloading after following the steps.

Either way, I only suggest following this if your download is slow from the very get go. Otherwise don't touch anything and just let it ride, unlike my idiot self.

Message 10 of 12 (19,386 Views)