PvZ:GW Encouraging Teamwork - Feedback on Scoring System for G and G Game mode - Please read

by 3Suns

Original Post

PvZ:GW Encouraging Teamwork - Feedback on Scoring System for G and G Game mode - Please read

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I play PvZ:GW every chance I get, whether others are on and playing or not.  I haven’t been so enamored with a game since BF:BC2.  Thanks Popcap and EA!  Great game!

I compiled a list of actions and current points awarded for the purpose of suggesting alternate values that would more greatly encourage teamwork, or at the very least, reward those who are playing the Objective. 

Special considerations:  The current range of points scored in a given match cannot be greatly altered.  That is, any overall inflation is unacceptable due to coins having real monetary value, sticker packs having a fixed price, and gamer’s “savings” .

Format of list:  Action  –  Current Points  –  Suggested Points  (Rational)

1.  Reward Teamwork in attacking/protecting Objective

• Vanquish  Streak – 25 +  25, 50, 75 and then 175 per – Cap at 25 additional points per additional kill in the streak  (The current scoring is detrimental to Objective gaming because it greatly encourages staying alive and distance killing from outside the deadly garden.)
  • Garden Capture –  10 per 3 seconds? –  10 points per 1 second: 300% increase   (The time necessary to receive points must be shortened because life in the garden is short.  The points must be increased because presence in the Garden, regardless of Plants to Zombies ratio, is essential to winning the game.)
  • Garden Defense When Zombies in Garden  – zero – 10 points per 1 second or more (infinite increase)  (This must match the Zombies, and is only awarded when defending Plant and attacking Zombies are actually in the garden.  Regardless of Plants to Zombie ratio, if a Plant is in the garden at the same time as a Zombie, defense points must be awarded because it is stopping or slowing the Graveyard progress.)

2. Diminish disparity between Zombie and Plant scores - make each side equally rewarding to play.

Zombies tend to score higher per round than the Plants.  Part of that is due to the 250 point awards for special support objectives in the finale rounds (eg., Wall-Nut launcher, Flak Flowers etc.).  To even this disparity, the Plants should receive greater points for actions in finale directly related to the Objective.  The following suggestions might require more programming and not just value tweaks, but the impact would be significant and positive.

• Defending Golf-Bomb  –  25  for elimination of last Zombies pushing Golf Ball  –  50 per Vanquish of Zombie On Golf-Bomb
  • Defending Mansion Doors/Sunflower/Tactical Cuke  –  any?  –   50 additional points per Vanquish on the front steps or within the pavilions.

The rest need not be changed.  Good stuff.

• Vanquish Player  – 25  –  No Change
  • Critical Vanquish – additional 20  –  No Change
  • Vanquish AI  –  5  –  No Change
  • Vanquish  Assist – 25  –  No Change
  • Special Vanquish  Assist (eg. Goop, Smoke) – 25 in addition to 25 for Vanquish  Assist  –  No Change
  • Garden Defense  (kill of Zombie in Garden)  – 100 in addition to Vanquish  points  –  No Change
  • Resurrection/Revive  – 50 –  No Change
  • Suppression  – 10  –  No Change
  • Save an Ally  – 50  – No Change
  • Avenge An Ally  –  50  –  No Change
  • Destroy Potato Mine  – 10  –  No Change
  • Destroy Spike Weed  – 10  –  No Change
  • Build Turret  – 25  –  No Change
  • Build Teleporter  – 100  –  No Change
  • Teleporter Use  –  10  –  No Change
  • Destroy Teleporter   –  25  –  No Change
  • AI Vanquish – 10  –  No Change
  • Vanquish Nemesis  –  50  –  No Change
  • Stopped Enemy Vanquish Streak  – 25  –  No Change
  • Etc.

To the credit of the designers, there are still many more scores awarded for many more actions.  None of them seem to be problematic.

Message 1 of 9 (787 Views)

Re: PvZ:GW Encouraging Teamwork - Feedback on Scoring System for G and G Game mode - Please read

★ Apprentice
Many great points, 3Suns. I think that this post is in the wrong board. It should be posted in the Gameplay/Fun Room section of the forums.
Message 2 of 9 (741 Views)

Re: PvZ:GW Encouraging Teamwork - Feedback on Scoring System for G and G Game mode - Please read

Remove Vanquish Streaks for Zombies completely. Their goal isn't to vanquish, it's to capture.

Keep the streaks for Plants, though. Their goal is to kill zombies... and it helps keeping their payouts in line with the zombies... but end kill streaks if Zombies make it into the Garden. Instead reward 2x points for killing Zombie players in the Garden as Garden Defense bonus.

Garden Capture should be the meat and bones of the Zombie score. I suggest points per second in the zone. It helps to know how many seconds you have to stand in the zone to determine how many points per second.

Reward zombies with double points per kill while capturing or standing in the capture zone. This is to offset the loss of points for kill streaks and puts the focus on defending from within the capture point instead of camping from a distance and not contributing.

Keep Engineer bonuses for setting up the teleporter and turrets.

I think changes like these will put the focus on how the game was meant to be played. Zombies that want to snipe across the map can keep doing that, but will find their scores and payouts significantly reduced. Aggressive players who capture the objective and stay in the objective will get the majority of the payout, like they should.

Removing kill streaks for Plants upon garden capturing will force them to play more aggresively instead of sitting back... and put more emphasis on keeping Zombies out of the Garden instead of waiting until they reach the garden before reacting.

Obviously the final objective for Zombies should also be reworked in payout. 

Megaflower - payout per point of damage. Make the building around the megaflower the capture circle for Zombie kill bonuses.

Cuke-Bomb - points per station captured. Make the entire room the equivalent to a capture circle for Zombie kill bonuses.

Golf Course - payout per second pushing the golf ball. Zombie kill bonuses while pushing the golf ball.

Dave's Mansion - payout for getting into the mansion. Zombie kill bonuses while in the final yard.

Message 3 of 9 (730 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for reading, and great to hear people agree on the major points!

I think offering kill streaks to the Plants until the Zombies are in the garden will be somewhat confusing (and more difficult to implement).  Offering kill streak points for Garden Zombie kills (especially from in the Garden), however, would be quite creative and really reward objective play.

Otherwise, those changes as AWMaxSterling suggests are fine, and will have the desired affect.  I really don't mind too much about the fine details, I just want to stop encouraging lone wolf sniping and encourage Objective focused teamwork.

I hope that I can click "Accept as solution" with the next update in the middle of August.  Wink

Blankman06, I would have posted it in the other forum, but they have specific instructions for posting over there (which few people seem to be following).  lol

This is our new forum where you can post gameplay, make new friends and of course talk about our Favorite game... Garden Warfare! Link us some of your epic gameplay you may have recorded and share it with all of us  

Please keep all technical info in the following boards.

Enjoy guys!

Message 4 of 9 (722 Views)

This has been an ongoing discussion in numerous threads... unfortunately it falls on deaf ears. I've also suggested raising the score to win in Vanquish to try and get the scrubs to go there, but that too fell on deaf ears. Many scrubs come to G&G to get their fill on kills and not care about the objective because the amount of time to play can be significantly more in G&G. Then they create YouTube videos about their accomplishment and post links on this forum.

Message 5 of 9 (698 Views)

Just got into a game... first time in a while. Everyone on the zombie team was a foot soldier. I went engineer to set-up the teleporter. I set-up the teleporter... and nobody goes into the objective until the last minute... and even then only 3 people were in the objective.

Needless to say, I gave as many people as I could bad reviews for unsporting conduct (because they fail to play the objective in an objective game type) and blocked them.  I suggest everyone else who is fed up with this to do the same... until something is done to correct this.

Message 6 of 9 (676 Views)

★★★ Novice

ha ha  I'm not gonna go that far.  There aren't enough people who are playing the game!

It is a great game and it is in PopCaps best interest to address this.   Thanks for letting me know that this has already been discussed in the forums.

Message 7 of 9 (656 Views)

★★ Novice
I understand your point about the objective but at times that I am sniping from a distance so that the rest of my team can advance. My intention is teamwork. If I can clear enemies from rooftops and clear the way, use smoke or imp punts or potato mines to help, aren't I helping the team achieve the objective? I sacrifice my garden capture or garden defense points to do so. I'm a longtime video game player but definitely not a hardcore gamer so maybe I'm someone you're complaining about but I view all of the various capabilities and character qualities as important to gameplay. There's a reason they have those abilities. I often change character to balance my team and I revive teammates, although I'm not often revived. The game is fun and we're playing against kids too. I love it that everyone can find something for their preferred style of play and skill set.
Message 8 of 9 (604 Views)

@shanmcgin wrote:
I understand your point about the objective but at times that I am sniping from a distance so that the rest of my team can advance. My intention is teamwork. If I can clear enemies from rooftops and clear the way, use smoke or imp punts or potato mines to help, aren't I helping the team achieve the objective? I sacrifice my garden capture or garden defense points to do so. I'm a longtime video game player but definitely not a hardcore gamer so maybe I'm someone you're complaining about but I view all of the various capabilities and character qualities as important to gameplay. There's a reason they have those abilities. I often change character to balance my team and I revive teammates, although I'm not often revived. The game is fun and we're playing against kids too. I love it that everyone can find something for their preferred style of play and skill set.

While the reasoning sounds legitimate, you're actually the problem and not a solution. You're obviously not doing your job if zombie teams aren't progressing each objective. Many efforts by objective players are often negated because of the simple fact that they are outnumbered while standing in the objective.

I also don't know how you can consider yourself "sacrificing" anything, when you can gain more coins by not playing the objective and only going for kills. Sacrificing generally means you're taking a loss. In this case, you're not.

Message 9 of 9 (598 Views)