Windows 8 and Java not compatible with Pogo games

by annalink213

Original Post

Re: Windows 8 and Java not compatible with Pogo games

★★ Novice

No reply when there are several of us with problems?

Message 21 of 42 (1,769 Views)

★★★ Newbie

No reply.  No response.  No help. 

Guess that when my subscription ends I'll be quitting.  No reason to pay for games that I can't play.

Message 22 of 42 (1,759 Views)

★★★ Newbie

that is why I am not going to sign up for pogo after this year.

@TobyRaskal wrote:

No reply.  No response.  No help. 

Guess that when my subscription ends I'll be quitting.  No reason to pay for games that I can't play.

Message 23 of 42 (1,735 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

For what it's worth, here's what worked for me when working on the problem on my parent's new Windows 8 computer.

First, use Internet explorer, not Google Chrome, AOL, Firefox. I've had trouble with some games running in those. Only Internet Explorer seems to run them all.

Second, make sure you are starting Internet Explorer from the "Desktop" not that new blocky icon screen (not sure what Windows calls it). Java will not run if you launch IE from that, only from the desktop.

Third, pull up windows search and type in control panel, then get to the add/remove programs panel. Uninstall everything you see that says Java. There may be several old versions to clear out.

Four, go to java.com and download and install both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Java. In the download section of the Java site you'll see a link that says something like show all versions- get them from there.

That got my parent's Pogo games running. Lastly, Java puts out updates CONSTANTLY- like 2-3 a month. Make sure you click ok to install them when the update notification pops up.

Hope that helps. Java and Windows 8 both suck.

Message 24 of 42 (1,590 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@lossvegas 

Thank you for your post & advice! I have Windows 8 on one of my computers, I avoid IE10, it's so problematic, I prefer Chrome on my Windows 8 computer, but on my computers with Vista, I prefer Firefox, but it's a matter of choice I suppose...

I think you were referring to the "start' screen in Windows 8... you can just press the windows button on the keyboard to go between the 2 easily as well Standard smile

Indeed, I think many may neglect, unintentionally to uninstall old versions of java before downloading a new one, and possibily do not know to download the 32 and 64 bit versions of java for 64 bit systems, and, importantly, in that order Standard smile

Thanks again for your tips! Standard smile

Message 25 of 42 (1,587 Views)

★★★ Newbie

im having the same problem and im not renewing either pogo sucks played fine 2 days ago and now nothing

Message 26 of 42 (1,549 Views)

Hero (Retired)

For those of you having a problem using Windows 8, here's some tips for you

How to play Java games on Pogo using Windows 8?

Java games can only run from the Desktop Screen of Windows 8. The Start Screen in Windows 8 does not support the Java Plug-in which is needed to run Java games. Follow these steps to switch screens.

Here are three ways you can switch screens in Windows 8 so you can play Pogo’s Java games:
1. Press the Windows logo key on the keyboard. From there you can toggle between the Start screen and the Desktop screen
a. The Windows key is probably located near your spacebar on your keyboard
2. Click on the Desktop tile in the Start Screen to switch to the Desktop Screen
3. Move your mouse pointer to the bottom left corner of your screen to switch between the Start Screen to the Desktop Screen

Here's some helpful links as well:  

Tips for using Java on Windows 8

How do I resolve problems running Pogo games? - Java

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you are using Internet Explorer 10

Internet Explorer 10 is not like any other Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer 10 is designed to provide an add-on free experience. Add-ons, like Java, will only work in Internet Explorer for the desktop.

If you would like to force IE to always browse in compatibility mode do the following:

1.) Right click on the top bar within IE10 and check, "Menu bar"
2.) Click on "tools" --> compatibility view settings
3.) Check, "display all websites in compatibility mode"
This will help with getting Pogo to play better.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know pogo games, both Flash & Java are working great with Windows 8, I have it on my newest computer!

Hope this helps!

Message 27 of 42 (1,540 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've been having the same problems playing games on Pogo with windows 8. I have a laptop running windows 7, and never have a problem playing there. On my brand new (and very high spec) pc, running on Windows 8, I am able to load games, but after one or two plays, the game crashes and I have to refresh all the time, meaning it takes me forever to win badges as most of the games are not counted due to them crashing ... fix this Pogo!!

Message 28 of 42 (1,424 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@triggerking135 wrote:

I've been having the same problems playing games on Pogo with windows 8. I have a laptop running windows 7, and never have a problem playing there. On my brand new (and very high spec) pc, running on Windows 8, I am able to load games, but after one or two plays, the game crashes and I have to refresh all the time, meaning it takes me forever to win badges as most of the games are not counted due to them crashing ... fix this Pogo!!

Hummm, I don't have those problems on my Windows 8 computer, I don't have one with just Windows 7, but have 2 with Vista and 1 with XP

We'll be glad to try & help...But, We will need a bit more information from you before we can help.

What happens when you try another browser?

Have you cleared the JAVA & FLASH cache in addition to the BROWSER cache?

What exactly is happening when you try to play the game?

What is the error message you get, if any (more details of the exact text please)?

Are any other games loading correctly?

You can test your Java here:     http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

Also, please click on the following link and then ‘copy and paste’ the displayed results into a reply here.

This will give us a general overview of your computer set-up and hopefully give us some pointers to help.

http://systeminfocheck.appspot.com/

Can you also please let us know which anti-virus software you are using? 

Message 29 of 42 (1,421 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I bought a tablet with Windows 8 just to play pogo, and it still does not work... So after fifteen plus years and tons of points, I cancelled the auto renewal. It has always been so much fun, now it is just a hassle.

Cheri

Message 30 of 42 (939 Views)