Google account back-up data missing

by ascjced

Original Post

Google account back-up data missing

★★★ Apprentice

I decided to reinstall my Plants vs Zombies app to get its update as well.

Even after signing in Google, my progress and profile did not show up.

All my achievements are still there.

I've spent so much time to get to my progress. Hope this can be resolved soon.

Sent a support ticket contact as well for this.

Message 1 of 2 (420 Views)

Re: Google account back-up data missing

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Your data is stored using your player id as a key.  You can find this under build version if you click the wrench icon on the opening screen.  This is the number support asks for when you contact them.

The problem is now google changes the player id whenever you re-install the game.  You can note the key, then re-install and you'll see it changes.  Every.  Single.  Time.  So if you re-install, you're going to lose all your progress.

And here's a link saying don't use player id for things like this:

https://github.com/playgameservices/android-basic-samples/issues/202

specifically, this comment on player id:  

• can we trust this never changes for a specific player over time?
    -- No, this is changing right now, so it could happen again. Using this for anything outside google APis is not supported

which is over a year old.  EA needs to correct their system to use something other than player id to key the saves off of.  Because sooner or later, you *will* lose all your progress (when you move to a new device or re-install).  It appears they did something that "seemed" to work, even though google never said it would, and it doesn't anymore.  Every single person playing the game on android is going to hit this eventually.  With the depth of content in PvZ2- losing all your progress is unacceptable.  The amount of cash they made off of me for plants (which I still have) should cover simple backups or at least some recovery mechanism.

When I contacted support, the reply was basically "sorry, we base things off player id, if that fails there is nothing we can do".

Message 2 of 2 (399 Views)