The Sims 2 Ultimate/Super Collection for Mac? (and other questions)

by Joe-2034

Original Post

The Sims 2 Ultimate/Super Collection for Mac? (and other questions)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Windows users (could) get the Ultimate Collection (all EPs/SPs) for free. Mac Users have to pay £20.99/$29.99 for half the EPs/SPs.

Questions:

Is there a Mac version of The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection?

Yes, it's called the Super Collection. Aspyr (The publisher of the on-disk Mac version) released 6 (of eight) Expansion Packs and 3 (of ten) Stuff packs for the Mac. It's available in the Mac App Store for £20.99/$29.99.

It features a new rendering engine, native support for retina displays, and most importantly works on modern (10.7+) Macs which the on-disk versions don't.

Can I buy the Mac version (and any of Aspyr's 6 expansion packs and 3 stuff packs) in a retail store, on disk, and play them on a Mac?

No, unless your Mac runs Snow Leopard (10.6) and earlier. Apple dropped support for running PowerPC applications (like the Sims 2) in 10.7 (Lion).

To check the version of OSX you are running click the Apple logo in the top left, and go to About this Mac.

NOTE: The on-disk versions of The Sims 2 Mac are not the same as the recently released Super Collection, and do not include the updated features mentioned above.

Why does the Super Collection only feature half of the Windows Ultimate Collection?

Since porting those 9 EPs/SPs on disk a few years ago, Aspyr stopped porting expansion packs due to contracting and licensing agreements with EA, as EA now does all PC and Mac ports for games in house (like TS3). Aspyr since released the Super Collection and hence only included the Expansion + Stuff Packs they have ported (9/18).

EA could potentially port & release the Ultimate Collection for modern Macs themselves, but this would likely take alot of work, to then release it for free probably wouldn't make much business sense.

Can I play [the windows version of] The Ultimate Collection on a Mac via Wine?

No. Wine support for The Sims 2 has been broken for many years due to The Sims 2 requesting 1024 pixel vertex shaders, yet Wine’s Direct3D implementation only providing 256. Real Direct3D 9 on windows provides upto 8192.

Can I play [the windows version of] The Ultimate Collection on a Mac using a Windows Virtual Machine?

Not well.  If you have a copy of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, or 8) and either Virtualbox (free), Parallels Desktop (paid), or VMware Fusion (paid), you can attempt to run the game inside a Windows virtual machine. Running any game through a Virtual Machine will likely result in slow graphics performance, if it works at all. Attempting to run the Ultimate Collection with XP in Virtualbox gave me the error: "Direct3D returned an error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL! The application will now terminate." Same message with Vista.

Can I play [the windows version of] The Ultimate Collection on a Mac using Bootcamp?

Yes. Bootcamp allows you to dual boot your Mac to run both Windows and OSX. You'll need a copy of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, or 8).

Running Windows nativly is the best (and really the only) way of playing all The Sims 2 expansion packs on a Mac.

Solutions:

• Use Bootcamp to run the Ultimate Collection if you have a copy of Windows.
  • Purchase the Mac Super Collection and get half the Ultimate Collection.

Joe.

Message 33 of 60 (104,729 Views)

Is there any reason why The Sims 2 is not available on Mac? I know it was released on OSX

★★★ Newbie

I don't really mind running it in bootcamp but it just seems silly to me that they don't include the mac version of the game on origin when I know it got a release. Can anyone think of any good reason for this? Thanks

Message 1 of 60 (104,616 Views)

SIMS 2 ULTIMATE COLLECTION

★★★ Newbie

I got the Sims 2 ultimate collection and it isn't able to run on my computer because I have a mac. What am I suppossed to do? I want to play the sims 2 but I'm not able to!

Message 2 of 60 (104,626 Views)

Re: SIMS 2 ULTIMATE COLLECTION

Community Manager

@bleedycon Hi,

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is unfortunately not available for the Mac client, so for now a PC is required. Should this change in the future, we will let you know.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 3 of 60 (104,623 Views)

I-LOVE-THE-SIMS - PC ONLY

★ Newbie

the free offer for sims 2 via origins and I-LOVE-THE-SIMS, is PC ONLY. I have a mac, and at no point was this stipulated. is there a code for the mac version?

Message 4 of 60 (104,663 Views)

Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Mac

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi, I downloaded the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on my Mac and I am not allowed to download it because it is only for Windows. Is there a way I can, or can I not play the Sims 2?Confusedmileysad:

Message 5 of 60 (104,669 Views)

Mac customers

★★★ Newbie

Why are Mac customers excluded from the free upgrade of The Sims 2? We paid just as much as PC customers.

Message 6 of 60 (104,661 Views)

Re: I-LOVE-THE-SIMS - PC ONLY

★★★ Newbie

It's shocking. We paid just the same as PC users did. The game is available cross platform and yet they only upgrade the PC users? Shows EAs attitude towards Mac users!

Message 7 of 60 (104,659 Views)

Re: Redeem Code The Sims 2

★★★ Newbie

Is there a code for the Mac version? I can't see one. I paid the same as any PC user - why am I being snubbed?

Message 8 of 60 (104,565 Views)

Re: Sims 2 on Mac

[ Edited ]
Hero

Unfortunately, the UC is for PC only

From what I hear from other mac players, not all expansions/stuff packs work on Macs.

You will need Bootcamp with Windows in order to play the Sims 2 UC.

My advise is to add it to your Origin library anyways. Who knows if you decided to switch to PC or install Bootcamp.

Better to have it than not, right ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 9 of 60 (104,654 Views)