Re: [The Sims 2] SIMS 2 compaitability with windows 8

by stephaniesterup

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[The Sims 2] SIMS 2 compaitability with windows 8

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have been a player of Sims for over 10 years and particularly like Sims 2 I am not a fan of Sims .3. However I was highly disappointed when I got a new laptop with windows 8 and find Sims 2 is not compatible can you please advise me if there is ever going to be a fix to make this compatible or am I going to have to give up on Sims once and for all?

Message 1 of 166 (271,424 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: SIMS 2 compatibility with windows 8

★★★ Newbie

I know a fix! Right click on the Sims 2 and click properties. Then go to the compatibility tab and check the box named 'compatibility mode' then set the drop down menu under it to Windows XP (service pack 3).

View in thread

Message 4 of 166 (276,784 Views)

All Replies

Re: SIMS 2 compaitability with windows 8

★ Newbie

I totally agree. I much prefer Sims 2 over Sims 3 and play Sims 2 far more often. I have managed to run Sims 2 in windows 8 (in XP service pack 3 compatability mode,) but mostly the game crashes or locks up or fails to load.

I would love a patch to fix the compatability problems.

Message 2 of 166 (270,459 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Try installing Managed DirectX - link via SimPE site - I've now got the base game working smoothly, but have not yet tried any EP's.

Message 3 of 166 (270,393 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know a fix! Right click on the Sims 2 and click properties. Then go to the compatibility tab and check the box named 'compatibility mode' then set the drop down menu under it to Windows XP (service pack 3).

Message 4 of 166 (276,785 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

i had the sims 2 megaluxe, seasons, open for bussines, von voyage, and pets working on w8, then i installed university and hobbies and it was crashing everytime i opened cas. i tried compatibility mode and didnt work so i unistalled university and hobbies and it is now working again, it crashes from time to time though...

Message 5 of 166 (267,197 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This worked, thank you sooo much

Message 6 of 166 (265,620 Views)

Sims 2 on Windows 8 terminates

★★★ Newbie

All my sims 2  games worked fine on my old windows 7 laptop but it broke and I got a new dell windows 8 laptop. Sadly when I install sims 2 and any expansion packs the game loads perfectly and I can only play for 5 minutes or less before a message appears saying "This application has crashed and will now terminate" I have looked online and but nothing helped. So far I have-

• deleted all custom content
  • reinstalled multiple times
  • ran win xp/windows 7 compatibility
  • deleted cache files.
  • changed graphics to lowest o game
  • tried to install patches

None of the above have worked and body shop only gets to the load screen before crashing.

Anyone sort this problem? Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Message 7 of 166 (194,038 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I tried all of these things and the Sims 2 still does not work. I can play it for as long as two minutes until it crashes.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

Message 8 of 166 (264,638 Views)

★★ Novice
  • Well I've tried  compatibility mode in XP and Vista and it still keeps crashing. I put too much money into this series! A new patch would be appreciated. There are still a lot of people who still play the Sims 2 believe it or not.
Message 9 of 166 (264,140 Views)

★★ Novice

I just bought almost all of the sims 2 games on origen. It is a lot of money on a game that does not work with windows 8: (

Message 10 of 166 (264,031 Views)