Re: Simcity Societies Failure on Windows 8/8.1/10 (v1.0.4.243/v1.0.4.270)

by Meeston

Original Post

Simcity Societies Failure on Windows 8/8.1/10 (v1.0.4.243/v1.0.4.270)

★★★ Novice

The latest version of SCS crashes upon startup in Windows 8/8.1/10. The EA dev team must release a patch for SCS.

SCS installation instructions (these won't solve the problem but are required to install SCS on a modern system);
1. Change the installation folder from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity Societies TM" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity Societies"
2. Open Windows Explorer and go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity Societies". Change the program to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode (on Windows 10 this can be done by: "Right click on SimCitySocieties.exe - Troubleshoot compatibility - Troubleshoot Program - This program worked in an earlier version of Windows but won't install or run now - Windows 7").
3. Don't start the game through Origin (use the shortcut on the desktop instead).
4. If necessary install .net 2.0 (on Windows 10 this can be done by: control panel - programs and features - windows features - turn on ".NET framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)")

SCS versions that work on Windows 8/8.1/10 (with Windows 7 compatibility mode enabled):
v1.0.0.6 (SCS original version).
v1.1.0.273 (Destinations expansion pack - ie running "SimCity Societies Launcher"/SimCitySocieties.exe or "SimCity Societies Destination Launcher"/SCSDestinations.exe and ticking "select to include SimCity Destinations content into your game").

SCS versions that do not work on Windows 8/8.1/10:
v1.0.4.243 (SCS after the latest patch is installed; SCS_104243_H.exe).
v1.0.4.270 (SCS after Destinations is installed - ie running "SimCity Societies Launcher"/SimCitySocieties.exe or "SimCity Societies Destination Launcher"/SCSDestinations.exe and unticking "select to include SimCity Destinations content into your game").

SCS crashes upon startup: Windows gives the following error; "SimCity has stopped working - A problem caused the problem to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".

The latest version of SCS (1.0.4.243 or 1.0.4.270) only works in Windows XP/Vista/7. EA need to create a patch to make the latest version of SCS work in Windows 8/8.1/10 (either 1.0.4.243 or 1.0.4.270). I have reported this issue to their Chat Support, but their Dev teams must read this post and Test the Latest Version of their Software on Windows 8/8.1/10.

Note this thread should definately not be marked as solved. The latest version of Simcity Societies has not been been working for 3 years (since Windows 8 was released in 2012). See these posts;

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-SimCity-Games/SimCity-Societies/td-p/13544/page/7
"I have recently purchased digital edition of simcity societies and destinations. installed on windows 8 and but societies is not working at all, while destinations is working."

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-SimCity-Games/SimCity-Societies/td-p/13544/page/9
"Ok so I am trying to start up Simcity Societies, but it crashes before it even reaches the intro video, help would be appreciated. P.S I'm running Win 8"
"Ok since it seems someone deleted my thread for some reason, let me try this again. Every time I try to start up Simcity Societies, it ends up crashing, I am running Win8"

The fact the latest version of SCS does not work on Windows 8/8.1/10 means that a) the additional features added to the game in version 1.0.4.243/270 are not available to the customer, and b) mods developed for the game cannot be applied (because these have generally been developed for SCS version 1.0.4.243/270). This entire game was designed to be customisable, and it is currently being sold in an a) outdated and b) uncustomisable form.

The bug is present in both the DVD and the Origin versions of SCS.

Message 1 of 9 (14,886 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

This message is hosted on the Answer HQ website, a community of EA game players.  We do Self-Help discussion here, not anything official about what we do here.  However, it seems that no one playing your old game, who has a lot of experience, is visiting this particular ("Other Simcity Games") forum. 

As such, you will have to visit the official customer support people at EA's Help Center. 

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Answer-HQ/How-to-contact-a-Game-Advisor-using-the-new-EA-Help-page/m-p/2161...

Message 2 of 9 (14,855 Views)

★★★ Novice

The official customer support at EA's help center requested that this bug report be posted here such that their dev teams can be notified of the error.

Message 3 of 9 (14,847 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

To the best of my knowledge there have been no developers in this forum the entire time that the Answer HQ website has existed (close to four years now).  On the other hand, EA's OWN game forums have the reputation of being overseen by developers on a regular basis.  From here, your message first must be seen by one of EA's CMs, collected, and forwarded through channels. 

The CMs are few in number, and the traffic on AHQ is frequently overwhelming.  The game adviser you received that suggestion from was in error. 

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/categories/list.page

Message 4 of 9 (14,839 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@richardbaxter 

Your question received the only possible answer available from Answer HQ.

Message 5 of 9 (14,831 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for advising - I have added the bug report here;

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10406297.page#35604661

Message 6 of 9 (14,821 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I bought SimCity Societies and its expansion pack, it runs well on Windows 7. but on Windows 10 it won't even load, but I found out the problem:

• The base game (SimCitySocieties.exe) version is v1.0.4.270, but the expansion pack (SCSDestinations.exe) is version v1.1.0.273.
Message 7 of 9 (14,468 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello. I have the same problem. SCS is not working under Win10. So I guess I need to install an older version of Windows on a different computer and play it under that circumstances. It is known, that EA dont give a **** of supporting older games. Happend with a couple of games. There is none a will not be any support for games older than 10 years.

EA is *. Do not buy games from them anymore.

I dont. Same with the old Command and Conquer versions or Battlefield. Oldschoolgames have no support of EA!

And I dont know where the people are who can do it theirself.

Like making servers run or patch games for newer Windowsversions.

Message 8 of 9 (12,818 Views)

★★ Novice

As of September 2023 the problem still exists!!!!!!

No help with any issue from EA and if you are somewhat computer illiterate, as I am, you do not want to mess around with all of the listed configurations.

How about just getting my money back?  Well can't do that either.

If EA can't get the game to work, why sell it at all?

Errrrgh!!!!

Message 9 of 9 (905 Views)