by Straatford87

Original Post

Underground Online-Service-Updates

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

According to the online-service-updates:

http://www2.ea.com/1/service-updates

http://www2.ea.com/de/1/service-updates

Need For Speed Underground PS2 is offline.

So on PC still online playable? Really?

Message 1 of 7 (3,368 Views)

Re: Underground Online-Service-Updates

EA DICE Team

@Aonage

I cannot find any server activity for Underground 1, but I've requested internally to get a final confirmation on this for you.

Message 2 of 7 (3,324 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

EA service (shutdown) updates no longer mention that Underground servers for PC were also shut down.

The oldest Need For Speed game with online servers still running is Need For Speed Carbon. The weekly stats for the leaderboards are still getting reset once an week and updated with players times, so there is activity. I'm in Pacific time zone, which is a bad time zone for online play, so although there are players online, I don't see them. The online experience points (OXP) are working intermittently. Carbon may be the last of the "old" EA account games still running. EA uses a separate account server (an older version of EA Nation) for games prior to 2008. This includes NFS Carbon, Crysis, and other older games. I think NFS Carbon is the only of the "old" EA account games where the online servers are still running. Games made 2008 or later use the "new" EA account server, some of which have been switched to and/or combined with Origin.

Summary, NFS Most Wanted (2005) and older NFS games online servers were shut down. Prostreet server was shut down. Undercover servers are still running, and I see activity in the weekly and monthly leaderboards. Shift 1 and Shift 2 servers are still running, but I don't know how to check for activity. Shift 2 has no chat even when in a race lobby, so there's no way to communicate with other online players, and it's online mode was never popular. Shift 1 online was much more popular than Shift 2 online, since Shift 1 had a proper lobby chat feature.

Message 3 of 7 (3,237 Views)

★ Guide

I still have Underground installed on a old PC and I can confirm the server is not running.

The service (shutdown) updates used to mention that Underground for PC servers were shut down, but I don't see it anymore.

Message 4 of 7 (3,268 Views)

EA DICE Team

@rcgldr

I noticed that I never came back with a reply here - let me chase the final answer up once more to find out the current status of Underground.

Message 5 of 7 (3,259 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Older NFS PC version shutdown dates. These were included in the old notices, but somehow got lost when the  update notices got combined:

NFS High Stakes and NFS Porsche Unleashed - October ??, 2003. 

NFS Hot Pursuit 2 (2002) - Gamespy, not EA servers, May 31, 2014 (based on some old web sites).

NFS Underground 2 for PC shutown August, 2006, and I assume Underground 1 for PC was also shut down then or before.

NFS Most Wanted for PC (2005) - some web sites report 2011.

NFS Prostreet for PC - some web sites report 2011. Console versions shutdown May 2012.

- - -

Oldest NFS for PC not shut down is NFS Carbon. Servers are still running, daily and weekly leaderboards are getting updated. Online Experience Points (OXP) are getting updated intermittently.

Message 6 of 7 (3,252 Views)

★★★ Novice

i guess you forgot again lol

Message 7 of 7 (2,133 Views)