Need For Speed Hot Pursuit not working with Windows 10

by newyorksfinest

Original Post

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit not working with Windows 10

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and Just Installed Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1 and the Game will not work needs new drivers?

* @newyorksfinest moved to the NFSHP forum.*

Message 1 of 13 (35,028 Views)

Re: Need For Speed Hot Pursuit not working with Windows 10

Community Manager

@newyorksfinest

I think trying one of the Windows Compatibility modes will help:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-make-older-programs-compatible

If that does not work for you then please post the exact error you see, or post a screen shot. Thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 13 (34,986 Views)

★★★ Novice

What would be the next step if the Windows 7 compatibility mode doesn't work on Windows 10?  

NFS11.exe Compatibility

NFS HP Crash

Message 3 of 13 (34,953 Views)

Community Manager

@Caipheus

There are several Windows compatibility modes, have you tried all of them?

• Make sure Windows 10 is fully up to date with all important and optional updates.
  • Make sure your video drivers are also up to date.

barry.png
Message 4 of 13 (34,949 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Barry,

I've tried to use each of the compatibility modes.  I haven't had any luck.  Windows is updated.  The driver for my PNY GTX 1060 also is updated.  I closed some resident applications with no luck.  I haven't put time into doing a clean boot because I'm not sure that it would be fruitful.  I chose instead to test another game and I'm happy to say that NFS Rivals works, so I was able to do at least a couple races with that game.  I repaired NFS HP, and I also deleted and reacquired the files.  NFS HP worked fine on this machine with Windows 7 Professional.

Find attached: 

Win_10_Update.jpg

GeForce_Exp_Driver.jpg

Message 5 of 13 (34,938 Views)

Community Manager

@Caipheus

Windows 10 can skip secondary installs in the name of security. Please manually run the following installers and post your results here. Note: do not skip one of the dxsetup installs, they are not the same.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Need For Speed(TM) Hot Pursuit\__Installer\DISK1\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Need For Speed(TM) Hot Pursuit\__Installer\directx\redist\DXSETUP.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Need For Speed(TM) Hot Pursuit\__Installer\vc\vc2008sp1\redist\vcredist_x64.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Need For Speed(TM) Hot Pursuit\__Installer\vc\vc2008sp1\redist\vcredist_x86.exe

barry.png
Message 6 of 13 (34,930 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Barry,

I repaired my X86/X64 Visual C++ installations.  I also ran DXSETUP.exe at path "Origin\Need for Speed Hot Pursuit\__Installer\directx\redist".  I should point out that I don't have a "DISK1" directory at path "Origin\Need for Speed Hot Pursuit\__Installer".  However, I found a directory with that same name at path "Origin\Crysis 2\__Installer" that contained a different version of DirectX, which I installed.  NFS HP still doesn't work.

Message 7 of 13 (34,923 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Barry,

I have a day off, so I took a more thorough look at the problem.  I revisited all the installers that you mentioned.  Event viewer shows an error when I the run the "Origin\Crysis 2\__Installer\DISK1\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe" installer.  I ran that installer with the "Run as administrator" option and the error did not recur.  I then ran the "Origin\Need for Speed Hot Pursuit\__Installer\directx\redist\DXSETUP.exe" installer with the "Run as administrator" option.  You can find the log message for that error below.

I also ran the "vcredist_x86.exe" and "vcredist_x64.exe" installers again.  You can find those log messages below.

Finally, I tried to use imagecfg.exe to set NFS11.exe as uniprocessor only and to set the process affinity mask, because I understand that this game is known to have an issue with quad-core processors.  It doesn't help if I set NFS11.exe to uniprocessor only.  It doesn't help if I set the process affinity mask for NFS11.exe to 0x1, 0x2, 0x3, or 0x4.  And also it doesn't help if I set NFS11.exe as uniprocessor only and set the process affinity mask.  I understand that there is a newer tool that I could use to modify the executable, but I haven't bothered because I'm not sure it would help.  You can find the log message for the modified NFS11.exe below.

I have tried to combine the Windows 10 compatibility modes with each of the steps I've tried with no luck.

You can find the log message for the unmodified game at the end of this post.

The log message for the "Origin\Crysis 2\__Installer\DISK1\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe" installer:

Level,Date and Time,Source,Event ID,Task Category
Error,10/20/2016 12:35:08 PM,Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2,513,None,"Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.
."

The log message for the "vcredist_x86.exe" installer:

Information,10/20/2016 12:49:47 PM,MsiInstaller,1035,None,Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17. Product Version: 9.0.30729. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.

The log message for the "vcredist_x64.exe" installer:

Information,10/20/2016 12:51:51 PM,MsiInstaller,1035,None,Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17. Product Version: 9.0.30729. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.

The log message for NFS11.exe modified with imagecfg to have the 0x4 process affinity mask:

Error,10/20/2016 1:07:26 PM,Application Error,1000,(100),"Faulting application name: NFS11.exe, version: 1.0.5.0, time stamp: 0x4d95a46a
Faulting module name: NFS11.exe, version: 1.0.5.0, time stamp: 0x4d95a46a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0034ec85
Faulting process id: 0x694
Faulting application start time: 0x01d22afc9720491f
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Origin\Need for Speed Hot Pursuit\NFS11.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files\Origin\Need for Speed Hot Pursuit\NFS11.exe
Report Id: 5b072978-a5d1-43da-8742-d6170d882c0b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: "

The log message for the unmodified game:

Error,10/20/2016 12:43:44 PM,Application Error,1000,(100),"Faulting application name: NFS11.exe, version: 1.0.5.0, time stamp: 0x4d95a46a
Faulting module name: NFS11.exe, version: 1.0.5.0, time stamp: 0x4d95a46a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0034ec85
Faulting process id: 0x19c4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d22af964fdca9c
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Origin\Need for Speed Hot Pursuit\NFS11.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files\Origin\Need for Speed Hot Pursuit\NFS11.exe
Report Id: edcdc4cf-1680-4b28-a8a4-7ae11d4600ac
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: "

Message 8 of 13 (34,906 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Barry,

It seems in theory that I should be able to get this game to work.  Am I just out of luck with getting this game to work on the machine where I want to play this game?  Did I just get back into racing games and waste $20?  I'm not a happy camper, Barry.

Message 9 of 13 (34,884 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello Barry, 

I seem to be having the same issue. However, my game ran fine on Windows 10 up until a few weeks ago. When I try to start it now I get the same error. 

Caipheus, were you able to resolve your issues? 

Kind Regards, 

StevenWings

Message 10 of 13 (28,040 Views)