NHL 08

by samdaman80

Original Post

Accepted Solution

NHL 08

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I downloaded NHL 08 via Origin for my PC but when I try to play it plays the EA Sports bit at the start but then freezes on the loading screen. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it still refuses to load. Any idea what I can do? 

Message 1 of 9 (6,551 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Why won't NHL 08 load on my pc?

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@samdaman80 wrote:

I downloaded NHL 08 via Origin for my PC but when I try to play it plays the EA Sports bit at the start but then freezes on the loading screen. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it still refuses to load. Any idea what I can do? 

Hey Samdaman80, 

If you are still having the issue with your game after un-install and re-install it could indicate an issue with your settings for the game.

Check your "My Documents" folder to see if a NHL 08 folder has been created. If so delete the folder.

Another few things which could cause a similar issue:

-UAC http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off

-Incompatible OS (try Compatability mode)

* Rightclick the .exe, BAT, CMD or MSI file

* Select "Properties"

* Click on the compatibility tab

* Tick the box "Run this program in compatability mode for:"

* Choose the dropdown "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

-Programs that may cause this issue:

Anti-Virus Programs 
  • Avast! 
  • AVG Anti-virus 
  • BitDefender 
  • Kaspersky Anti-virus 
  • McAfee Anti-virus 
  • Nod32 Anti-virus 
  • Norton/Symantec Anti-virus 
  • Panda Anti-virus 
  • Trend Micro 
Anti-Spyware Programs 
  • Ad Aware 
  • Spybot Search & Destroy 
  • Spycatcher Express 
  • Webroot Spy Sweeper 
Firewall/Security Programs 
  • Comodo 
  • McAfee Personal Firewall 
  • Panda Internet Security 
  • Zone Alarm 
  • Online Armor

If you have none of these programs and UAC did not solve the issue, could you post a bit more about your computer?

Specifically the Operating system. Older XP titles (such as NHL 08) will have trouble running on a x64 bit version of Vista and W7.

Hope this helps! If not let me know Standard smile

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (7,149 Views)

All Replies

Re: Why won't NHL 08 load on my pc?

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@samdaman80 wrote:

Hey Samdaman80, 

If you are still having the issue with your game after un-install and re-install it could indicate an issue with your settings for the game.

Check your "My Documents" folder to see if a NHL 08 folder has been created. If so delete the folder.

Another few things which could cause a similar issue:

-UAC http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off

-Incompatible OS (try Compatability mode)

* Rightclick the .exe, BAT, CMD or MSI file

* Select "Properties"

* Click on the compatibility tab

* Tick the box "Run this program in compatability mode for:"

* Choose the dropdown "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

-Programs that may cause this issue:

Anti-Virus Programs 
  • Avast! 
  • AVG Anti-virus 
  • BitDefender 
  • Kaspersky Anti-virus 
  • McAfee Anti-virus 
  • Nod32 Anti-virus 
  • Norton/Symantec Anti-virus 
  • Panda Anti-virus 
  • Trend Micro 
Anti-Spyware Programs 
  • Ad Aware 
  • Spybot Search & Destroy 
  • Spycatcher Express 
  • Webroot Spy Sweeper 
Firewall/Security Programs 
  • Comodo 
  • McAfee Personal Firewall 
  • Panda Internet Security 
  • Zone Alarm 
  • Online Armor

If you have none of these programs and UAC did not solve the issue, could you post a bit more about your computer?

Specifically the Operating system. Older XP titles (such as NHL 08) will have trouble running on a x64 bit version of Vista and W7.

Hope this helps! If not let me know Standard smile

Message 2 of 9 (7,150 Views)

NHL 08 prevented my virus protection from doing a full scan. Also would not let me uninstall it.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I was on the phone with McAfe for over 2 hours only to find out that it was a software issue.  The problem was that when I tried to do a virus scan, it locked up on the NHL 08 file at 34%.  I tried to uninstall it but it froze up.  My pc started acting hokey and wouldnt shut down properly and I had to hold the shut off button just to get the system to reboot.  I tried using the Shredder on McAfee but got an error that it couldnt remove it.  So I then tried using their cleaner and then it let me unistall EA NHL 08 and start a scan which got past 34% as we speak.  McAfee wanted a one time fee of $129 or a yearly fee of $179 to fix the problem.  I only used this program one time and up until now hadnt noticed that my scans werent working.  What is the deal?  I have a 4 month old laptop and visur protection but yet it couldnt help me with my 5 year old game. :womansad:

Message 3 of 9 (6,220 Views)

Re: NHL 08 prevented my virus protection from doing a full scan. Also would not let me uninstall it

Community Manager

@jhatfield1021 Hi,

You could try adding an exception for NHL 08 in your antivirus software.

Another option would be trying another antivirus solution, such as Microsoft's Security Essentials: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

Cheers,

Nils

Message 4 of 9 (6,211 Views)

NHL 08 w/ DVD won't play on Windows 7 64 bit even in XP compatibility mode

★★★ Newbie

Not being into PC sports game I never ended up using my NHL 08 DVD which was given to me as a gift when I was living in Asia (Being Canadian They thought I may enjoy it :-). Anyhow, I decided to give it a shot so I installed it but once ionstalled nothing happens. and by nothing I mean nothing: I double-click on the short cut, the mouse icon turns into an hour glass for a few seconds and then nothing. The icon

turns back to its default arrow and nothing pops up. no game, no error window, no anything as if I never clicked on the game. I tired going to its executable's Properties and tried it no XP compatibilty mode (and others) and still the same ''nothing'' results.

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E LX

VGA: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

RAM: 12 Gig

Monitor: ViewSonic VX2453 Series (24 inch)

Thank you

Message 5 of 9 (6,206 Views)

Re: NHL 08 w/ DVD won't play on Windows 7 64 bit even in XP compatibility mode

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@pintree3 Hi,

In order to ensure that no programs are interfering in the background, please run a Clean Boot: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Cheers,

Nils

Message 6 of 9 (6,204 Views)

NHL 08 - Starting problems...

★★★ Newbie

A few years ago I bought NHL 08 for my PC. About a year ago I have then uninstalled. Now I wanted it again to install. The installation went smoothly, and the product code has been accepted. Now I wanted to start the game, the button comes, I click on "play". After a few seconds came the Windows message: "nhl2008pal.exe has stopped working"!

I have it directly on C: \ Program Files \ EA Sports \ NHL08 \ nhl2008pal.exe versucht, but it was the same message!

Why?
Can anyone help me? I would like to play a newer NHL, but for the PC there's only NHL 09, and the difference is not very large.

How can I start the game?

Thanks for any help!

Message 7 of 9 (6,146 Views)

Re: NHL 08 - Starting problems...

Community Manager

@jeffreycolt wrote:

A few years ago I bought NHL 08 for my PC. About a year ago I have then uninstalled. Now I wanted it again to install. The installation went smoothly, and the product code has been accepted. Now I wanted to start the game, the button comes, I click on "play". After a few seconds came the Windows message: "nhl2008pal.exe has stopped working"!

I have it directly on C: \ Program Files \ EA Sports \ NHL08 \ nhl2008pal.exe versucht, but it was the same message!

Why?
Can anyone help me? I would like to play a newer NHL, but for the PC there's only NHL 09, and the difference is not very large.

How can I start the game?

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

In order to ensure that no programs are interfering in the background, please run a Clean Boot: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Additionally please also check the suggestions provided here previously: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-EA-Games/NHL-08/m-p/1710#M841

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 8 of 9 (6,138 Views)

I cant choose my buttons for speed shooting on Logitech Extreme 3 D NHL 08

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Message 9 of 9 (6,047 Views)