Wing Commander Series

by SHALAKO42

Original Post

Re: Wing Commander 4 VirtualProtect failed

★★★ Newbie

Do you fix it? I have same problem as you. I also tried the patch file and show filesize didn't match. I don't know it is EA problem.

Message 121 of 132 (2,668 Views)

Re: Wing Commander 4 VirtualProtect failed

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@nannup9806 I had the same VirtualProtect() error and I think I found solution. Open Origin and hover mouse over WC4 game, then click on gray box with small letter "i". Now go to game properties and Disable Origin in Game. That is all.

Message 122 of 132 (2,637 Views)

Wing Commander 4 Loading Problem

★ Novice

I cannot get Wing Commander 4, purchased 1/1/16, to load on my Dell MS Windows 10 Home.  My case number for this complaint is 21885611. I spoke with Angela M. of EA Customer Experience yesterday.  She gave me three options to resolve this problem and none of them worked.  I have around 24 hours left to return this game and I feel like I'm being given the runaround trying to resolve this problem.

Message 123 of 132 (2,616 Views)

Re: Wing Commander 4 Loading Problem

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

The Wing Commander games were written for MS-DOS, five years before the first 32-bit Windows OS, Windows95, 25 years ago now  Good Old Games added a copy of DOSbox and sold the old games quite inexpensively.  Good Old Games has forums that are much better suited to dealing with Wing Commander problems, and there are websites dedicated to the old games that are even better that those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Commander_%28video_game%29

Answer HQ is entirely separate from Help Center.  We cannot look into anyone's support file information from here.  This is a game player Self-Help website, and AFAIK, there are no AHQ members who play the extremely old games like yours and stick around to answer questions here. 

Message 124 of 132 (2,598 Views)

Re: Wing Commander 4 Loading Problem

★★★★★ Expert

@craigcorwin 

This mashup is the way that really old games are handled here in "Other EA Games", and is where your first Wing Commander query may be found.  Not all of EA's CMs are familiar with every game in the entire EA library all the way back to the 1990s and before that.  My answer, above, is the best I could give you on the matter, and you apparently hadn't found it yet. 

`

Message 125 of 132 (2,593 Views)

Origin In Game Errors

★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

I have Windows 10 and got Wing Commander IV running, but origin in game won't work so I can turn my mouse and/or joystick on. The menu comes up on the bottom of the screen and the mouse pointer is trapped in a small box in the upper left corner.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 126 of 132 (2,540 Views)

Re: Origin In Game Errors

★★★★★ Expert

The Wing Commander games ran in DOS, and had to have a separate driver active in memory for each input device beyond the keyboard.  DOSbox simplifies a lot of that background stuff, and the best place to look up both DOSbox information and running those old games is on a fan-operated website that's been running for decades . . I think Google will show you the right place in response to looking up "DOSbox". 

Message 127 of 132 (2,528 Views)

Re: Origin In Game Errors

Community Manager

@Sgt_Skidmark27 Hi,

Check out my reply here in regards to the mouse: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-EA-Games/Wing-Commander-Series/m-p/3270417/highlight/true#M20205

Let me know whether that does the trick or you are still stuck.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 128 of 132 (2,524 Views)

Wing Commander Series

★★★ Newbie

Virtual Protect failed on Wing commander IV . This has happened after installation when I try to run the game for the first time. What do I do now as I really would like to play this game. I find this shocking after having purchased the game to find that  it has a fault like this.

Message 129 of 132 (2,413 Views)

ask

★★★★★ Newbie

So how Exactly do I get the special operations or whatever the expansions for Wing Commander 2 are called, to run? I have played and beaten WC2 but the expansions are there, I can see their info, but not how to run them. Don't seem to have access from within origin or access to straight up dosbox

Message 130 of 132 (2,296 Views)