Dead Space 2 Invalid Serial Number

by Severism

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dead Space 2 Invalid Serial Number

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

A year or so ago, I bought Dead Space 2 from Steam as part of a bundle. At the time, it downloaded, installed and I played it for a few hours without any issue. About a week ago, I reinstalled the game and received the error a fair number of other people seem to be having - Invalid serial number entered. (I never entered a serial number, nor received one - I assume automatically done). I tried to find a serial number that I may have missed through Steam, no luck. I contacted EA support first, and received a literal copy and paste - word for word - from google of the answer that I already found through google myself before even contacting support (which didn't help). Was additionally told to go through Steam because EA doesn't have visibility of keys issued from a third party, and that games Dead Space 3 and before have been sunset or something like that. 

Went to Steam support and was funny enough, told that no keys/serials are issued, and that I wouldn't be asked for one upon installation. That the game, once purchased is tied to your account, etc. etc. And finally that I should contact EA support to further research the issue for the same reason that EA gave essentially - that they cannot manage keys of a third party.

At this point, I just want to play the game...

P.S. At some point, the joke just isn't so funny anymore.

P.P.S. I get the whole fact that anyone in support googles things generally - it's common... But man, at least try to make it seem genuine. 

Message 22 of 74 (15,629 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dead space 2 will not launch(Invalid serial number)

Community Manager

Hello all, 

we are still seeing some players having an issue with playing Dead Space 2, please read the below information to confirm if this is the issue you are running into.

Issue: Players are unable to use or do not have a serial key to use in order to play Dead Space 2 on Steam.

Some of the common examples are:

• You owned the game previously
  • You recently purchased the game
  • You are trying to play the game through EA Play

If you are running into this issue please reach out to an EA Advisor in order to get further assistance, If you have issues creating a case you can try changing your region, and selecting the case details of: [Contact us] > Dead Space 2 > Steam > Codes and promotions > Invalid Codes.

If you continue to have issues after speaking with an EA Advisor or run into the error again, please reply to this thread letting us know. 

Regards,  

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

View in thread

Message 67 of 74 (15,397 Views)

All Replies

Dead space 2 will not launch(Invalid serial number)

★★★ Novice

Hello, I have problems with launching my game(Dead space2), Any time I launch it on steam or origin it says that the serial number is invalid, and I try to reenter it when it asks for it, and its still invalid. I have tried talking to customer support, but none of the fixes we tried worked, so now I have been sent here, hope I can get some help.

Message 1 of 74 (18,239 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same issue.  I contacted support but they had no solution for me.  Just told me to wait.  

Message 2 of 74 (18,173 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I was told to contact Steam but steam is saying to contact the original seller of the game.. so ..

Message 3 of 74 (18,162 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem too

Message 4 of 74 (18,131 Views)

★★★ Novice

me too 

Message 5 of 74 (18,073 Views)

Community Manager

I wanted to check with everyone in this thread if everyone can provide the following information so we can take a further look into this. 

• Which platform are you playing on?
  • Do you own the game or play through EA Play?
  • Has the game or your current serial number worked before?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 6 of 74 (18,017 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm attempting to launch the game from Steam (PC)

I bought the game through Steam

It has worked previously

Message 7 of 74 (18,013 Views)

★ Novice

Steam

No. Bought it through Steam back in 2013

Yes, it worked before.

Message 8 of 74 (17,972 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Same problem. EA is attempting to deflect the responsibility to STEAM but they say there's nothing that they can do because they're not publishers they just sold the subscription.

I tried EA tickets and even live assistance and after that person tried really hard to shift the responsibility to STEAM it become more and more clear that he/she didn't know what the hell she/he was talking about.... She/he didn't even know that EA had a subscription plan....  Now looking on steam forum i see others got another version of the game back from EA  that actually works and even admitted responsibility but EA doesn't want to give that to everyone.... When i asked for mine they called my case "duplicate" and continue to ignore me...

Here's the post from steamStandard smile

Serial Key Solution (Mod pin this if possible)
I believe its not working because of the implementation of EA Play. For some reason the old (in my case 7 year old) serial key that Steam auto applies no longer works. But my issue was resolved in like 20 minutes.

Go to Customer Support
- Contact Us
- Choose Platform
- Codes and Promotions
- Invalid Code
- Contact Option
Submit a ticket about the "Activation Wizard Invalid Code"

Support will give you a new version of the game.
YOU MUST UNINSTALL THE OLD ONE from Steam and Origin. Then reinstall, and launch through Origin.

This was resolved and works fine for me now. The game will no longer launch through steam (until this issue is fixed on their/Steams end) so you just have to launch directly through Origin now. Which isn't really a problem since it was already using it anyway. I just hid the game in my steam library.

I received this with my customer support
"There is some issue going on the Steam server where many players are not able to access Dead Space 2 on Steam Platform. Good thing is that this has been brought into the notice of the Game Team and Teams have confirmed there is some issue from the server-side. They are diligently working with the Development Team to fix this issue."
Message 9 of 74 (17,933 Views)