Re: Battlefield 2 crashes on startup

by VoltySquirrel

Original Post

Battlefield 2 crashes on startup

★★ Novice

So, I just bought Battlefield 2 through Steam. After downloading and installing it and all the various applications that came with it, such as the useless GameSpy Comrade, I was ready to play. Except I wasn't. After a black screen appears for around 5 seconds it crashes. It does this every time. Nothing I've tried has seemed to improve the situation. Playing it in offline mode, setting it to run as administrator, turning off the Steam overlay, putting it into WinXP compatibility mode, verifying game cache, etc. did basically nothing. None of the Support topics on either Steam or EA Support have anything on how to fix this. I even downloaded Origin just to see if adding it on there would do anything. Nope. Wouldn't take the CD key given to me. I would've assumed then that it was a CD key issue, but two things quickly changed that assumption. A) Whenever I would run the game, the CD Checker would run and not spit out an "invalid CD hey" error, and B) using the invalid CD key fix on the Steam forums (HERE) seemed to do little to fix the situation. Any help with this situation would be sincerely appreciated. I don't want my purchase to be a waste. 

System Specs:

Windows Vista Service Pack 2

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

3GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 530

Message 1 of 12 (28,295 Views)

★★ Novice

Try this,
Go into My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\Default and delete the video.con file
Then do the same for any video.con files in 0001 0002 etc folders in the profile folder.
The game should then start.
If it doesn't, make sure you know your username/email and password and delete the whole Battlefield 2 folder in My documents. If the game starts, go to manage accounts retrieve account, enter info.

Or Google ''BF2 black screen''  there you will find a loads of possible fixes

Message 2 of 12 (28,234 Views)

★★ Novice

None of that worked. However, I guess I can give Google a shot. I'll report back if I turn up anything that works.

Message 3 of 12 (28,232 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

Everything I've found revolved around that profiles folder. Everything they've suggested has done nothing. Opening the video.con files in notepad does nothing. Deleting just the video.con file does nothing. deleting the whole damn folder does nothing.So, I dunno. I'm stumpted and supremely frustrated.

Message 4 of 12 (28,230 Views)

★★ Novice

Other things you can try:

Run game as administrator.

Update or reinstall GPU drivers

The reason for this is either incompatible hardware (make sure you meet all of the minimum specs for the game), or more usually the fact that you're not running at the default refresh rate of 60Hz. By default the game tries to launch at 800x600@60Hz initially, so your system must be able to run that same resolution and refresh rate, otherwise the game will abort. If you are using any other refresh rate, or a refresh rate override program/method, disable it (e.g. if you're using Refresh Force, click the 'Restore Original Settings' button and apply) or set it back to 60Hz for both 800x600 and your chosen gaming resolution. Alternatively, see the Advanced Tweaking section of the guide for details on how to set a different startup resolution, in case your graphics card/monitor simply cannot do 800x600@60Hz resolution. Once you've got the game running, you can then change the resolution to suit your taste in the in-game settings, and importantly you can select a higher refresh rate. Then you can reapply any refresh rate override and the game will launch without any problems.

Source -> http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_3.html

Message 5 of 12 (28,218 Views)

★★ Novice

Running the game as administrator was one of the first things I tried, along with checking for driver updates. As for that, 800x600@60Hz is certainly possibly on my monitor and pc, as it typically sits at 1920x1080@60Hz. So that's not the issue it seems.

Message 6 of 12 (28,215 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay, I managed to get the game to run in windowed mode and upon trying to get the game to start, I got this error message: http://i.imgur.com/6mZgGtb.jpg

This baffles me, as there's no such thing as a dice folder on my C: drive. *bangs head on keyboard

Message 7 of 12 (28,206 Views)

★★ Novice

sorry cant help with that error Frown

I think this would be good time for EA stuff to start give a f**k about where players !

Message 8 of 12 (28,167 Views)

★★ Novice

I did end up getting in contact with EA through their chat system, but even though the rep was perfectly fine, they couldn't help me. But hey, thank you for at least trying. I really appreciate it. You certainly didn't have to.

Message 9 of 12 (28,161 Views)

★★★ Novice

That happen to me 1 times but I think that I fixes.

I guess that you have Vga and you should go to control panel and go to window update and update every thing in theres.

Try it maybe it help if it not ask another guys. 

Good Luck :D

Message 10 of 12 (28,155 Views)