recent purchase '30 days to download" message/limit

by hazee69

Original Post

recent purchase '30 days to download" message/limit

★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

I noticed when purchasing games recently I was prompted with a message that stated I was required to download my games/game installers within a 30 day period from date of purchase. Why is this, and is this to be strictly adhered to? I enjoy purchasing games online through accounts such as Origin to be secure in my ownership of a game without having to immediately store it on any of my physical harddrives.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3 (1,345 Views)

Re: recent purchase '30 days to download" message/limit

★★★ Newbie

Yeah, I got the exact same message recently too when I purchased the C&C Ultimate Collection:

If your order contains downloadable software, you have 30 days to download your purchase. After you download we suggest you save a copy of the downloaded file to an external drive, CD, DVD, or some other storage medium in the event you have computer problems or the downloaded file becomes damaged or corrupted.

If your product requires a serial number or unlock code, please make a note of the number that appears in the order details above for future reference. An order confirmation email will be sent to you shortly that will also contain this information.

If you have problems with your order or have any additional question or comments, please refer to the order confirmation email or contact Customer Service for assistance .

Thank you again for your order!

UNQUOTE

It doesn't really bother me too much because I have non-Origin versions of all the C&C games anyway (mostly non-Origin); I got them A) because I had an unused birthday voucher that EA kindly gave me, and B) much like I do with Steam, I thought it would be a good idea to have a softcopy backup of all my games, just in case.

Whilst not a solution, I did find this hiding away on EA's FAQ's about Origin itself. 1-5 were just general things, whereas 6-9 seem to contradict the above QUOTE:

Origin FAQ's (General FAQ #6)

6. What will happen to the purchases I've made previously on the EA Store?
Your purchases are safe and secure, and can be accessed from within Origin.

7. Can I re-download my games in general?
If you need to, yes. Please note that your games already installed via the previous EA Download Manager are safe, sound, and work in exactly the same way via Origin.

8. Is there a limit to the number of computers on which I can install my game?
Origin enables you to access your games from any PC, anytime, anywhere. Should you have an issue, contact Origin Support and we'll get you fixed right up!

9. Will my game download ever expire?
A: Your game downloads don’t expire. Ever.

UNQUOTE

Hopefully that helps, but I too would like an explanation from someone at EA to tell me why this is, as the 30 Days Limit doesn't show up in the Terms Of Service or in the Terms Of Sale; except to state that EA will give you 30 days notice of cancellation of services, etc.

Though it might seem a little expensive (unless you have one already), I would download each game individually, copy its installer to a backup drive (or burn it to a DVD), uninstall it, then move on to the next. Tedious though it may be, at least you'll have a copy of them. And take a note of your Serial Keys as well as, once their linked to your account they're basically just as good as proof that you bought the game (much like the 30 Days quotes says)

Message 2 of 3 (1,296 Views)

Re: recent purchase '30 days to download" message/limit

★★ Novice
EA seems to have fixed this at some point, I bought the same collection, really because it was slightly less than the price of just RA3 and Uprising, which was what I actually wanted, and all I downloaded at the time. I never saw the message in question, but after I saw this thread I downloaded some of the other parts of the collection to make sure, and had no problems.
Message 3 of 3 (338 Views)