Re: "Origin has encountered a serious problem and must close"

by EA_Nils

Original Post

"Origin has encountered a serious problem and must close"

★★ Novice

Ok so everytime i open my orgin and log in it comes up with the message "orgin has encountered a serious problem and must close" Sometimes it work without the error but i have to try opening the orgin client at least 5 times before it works. AND when it does work it starts in offline mode or it is just reallly freaking SLOW. This is extremely frustrating because i just got battlefield 3 and left my orgin open all night and i wake up this morning and the download is only at 9%. PLZ PLZ someone help me ive had this problem ever since i got orgin and ive done a manual uninstall atleast 2 times. I looked at all the other support forums and tried their solutions but they still dont work. I have tried turning off my firewall and that dosent even work. one thing that might be the problem is i have my orgin installed to my DATA drive instead of the default C drive ( could this be the problem??). I have tried to work out this issue for months and nothing has ever worked PLEASE HELP ME. I know that you guys are not EA you guys are users but i will say that honestly EA's tech support is by far the worst i have seen in the gaming industry. Again if ANYONE could help it would be SO appreciated thank you.

Message 1 of 6 (5,215 Views)

★★ Novice

any help would be much appreciated guys.

Message 2 of 6 (5,184 Views)

Community Manager

Hi sovietgrapes,

Do you get a log along with the crash that you could post in here?

You said you already did the manual uninstall twice, did you attempt to install it in the default installation folder C yet? Although your intendend destination is that DATA drive, if you try it once we can at least determine what the issue is.

There is a chance that if you keep reinstalling it to the same directory, the settngs for your firewall and antivirus program don't change so unless you have really turned them off properly they may still be interfering. You stated that the firewall had been turned off, but what about your antivirus software, are you using any and could this still be blocking Origin?

Cheers,

Nils

Message 3 of 6 (5,178 Views)

★★ Novice

I have tried to install it to my C drive and the same error happens but not as frequent. However, the downloads are still extremely slow.... I do have NetNanny (contentwatch) installed on my computer could it be blocking connections in Origin?? 

Message 4 of 6 (5,175 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

That is definitely possible.

If you want to be on the safe side and rule out any programs that may potentially be blocking Origin, you can run a cleanboot.

Instructions from Microsoft: How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Message 5 of 6 (5,173 Views)

★★★★ Novice

For the past 3 months I have not had issues with playing Battlefield 3, but now I get an error message; " Origin has encountered a serious problem and must close:. And now, I cant even log into Origin. Whats going on???

Message 6 of 6 (2,920 Views)