"INSUFFICIENT DISK SPACE" Game already on disk.

by Tolzon

Original Post

Accepted Solution

"INSUFFICIENT DISK SPACE" Game already on disk.

★ Novice

My games are already downloaded on my drive from previous Windows install but after installing Origin and trying to run a game it tryes to DL and returns "insufficient disk space" error. WTF?

Message 1 of 9 (4,794 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: "INSUFFICIENT DISK SPACE" Game already on disk.

EA DICE Team

@Tolzon

Please try the steps already listed by @yahel_1 and @MorningTimeCloud. If that doesn't help, can you please attach a dxdiag to this reply? Please also let me know on which disc you have the games installed, and from which disc (D:, or C:, etc.) you moved the game.

View in thread

Message 6 of 9 (5,489 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Hi @Tolzon 

Your drive have a filesystem NTFS or FAT32? Remember FAT32 partitions max file size is about 4GB.

Would it be possible for you to clear any additional space on your hard drive, to see if you get again this error? For a good,, running'' games you should have 50 GB free in your,partition/HDD.

But if you have enough space then try running Origin and/or games with Admin rights  http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/#2  and i think you should be fine.

Retired champion.
Message 2 of 9 (4,787 Views)

★ Novice

Your answare makes no sense. The game is already installed.

Message 3 of 9 (4,777 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Tolzon Do you mean you had them on a separate HDD after re installing windows on your main drive? If that is the case, you'll need to remove and re install them.

Message 4 of 9 (4,769 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Hmm... @Tolzon have you tried to open Origin and your game as administrator to say that my answer does not make sense ?!

If your issue persist check harddrive integrity: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-chkdsk/

And then moving the file to external storage, then moving it back to the your HDD, greatly reduces fragmentation.

Retired champion.
Message 5 of 9 (4,755 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Tolzon

Please try the steps already listed by @yahel_1 and @MorningTimeCloud. If that doesn't help, can you please attach a dxdiag to this reply? Please also let me know on which disc you have the games installed, and from which disc (D:, or C:, etc.) you moved the game.

Message 6 of 9 (5,490 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I had the same issue recently, after reinstalled windows (on C) but keeping my Origin games on a separate disk (An NTFS Drive D).

The problem is that Origin first checks free disk space, and if it's insufficient for a new install it won't let you continue.Only after you "make room" (for something you already have), will it continue, and only then will it discover the previous installed files. And thus not needing the free space after all.

So ofc this doesn't make any sense. It's annoying, not to mention a waste of time and bandwidth (and download cap if applicable) to delete a game only to download the same files over again.

I get that the installer still might need some space to download updates, and this might be hard (ish - depending on knowing which version is on disk) to calculate exactly and thus might not work if the disk is almost or completely full. But anyway a full install size worth of free space shouldn't be necessary in such a case.

Message 7 of 9 (4,201 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Why is there not a straight forward method to re-link our game library's after a new Windows installation. This is ridiculous. Teeth bared

Message 8 of 9 (3,996 Views)

★★★ Newbie

well u can relocate it on old origin,steam etc but not on AE because EA is better ofc :D i have the same issue now and its mindblowing. So only i can do is to relocate the game to M2 SSD and lose like 80% of fps because its optimalizet for sata ssd not for nvme and play it so today and before i go to bed ill uninstal it and download back to sata over nigh. EA app is huge disappointment for me in that way. Frown

Message 9 of 9 (673 Views)