Why does it take so long to install a game onto my computer!?

by tcgokhan8

Original Post

Re: Why does it take so long to install a game onto my computer!?

★★★ Newbie

ive got the same problem , started to load at 2 on the monday afternoon , its now 5 on the tuesday , got to 87% and said error , haveing to have to try again, brand new laptop too 

Message 21 of 66 (2,745 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm a little confused by the solution. It is quoting another person other than the person that started the thread. So it's not necessarily answering the question asked originally however IF the only person that can mark the thread with a solution I would have to assume that the solution solved their issue?

Start of thread message:

==================================================

I bought a digital download  of sims 3 seasons and it was placed onto my origin account. it only took about ten minutes for it to download to my computer. I then began installing it onto my sims 3 game, but it took 8 hours. WHY?...This is not the first time this has happened. All the games I have ever gotten from origin and tried to install onto my computer, they have all taken many hours. I'm really starting to get frustrated. Why is this happening!?

==================================================

Question quoted with solution below it:

@EA_Kristi wrote:

@Brit-Ash0113 wrote:

So I installed the sims 3 on my lap top first and it only took about an hour to download, so then I installed the sims island paradise and then it pops up that the game needs an update so when I go to update it and it says it's downloading patches or whatever but I've left the laptop on all night and it's still at 0% what do I need to do?

If you left it all night and there was no progress then the best thing to do at the moment would be to restart Origin. I would also recommend restarting your computer and router.

Message 22 of 66 (2,720 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I am assuming since this has been marked as solved no Admin will see or respond to it but I would like to mention for the en masses at least and hope for some kind of real suggestion from those that should have answers at Origin or would this be coming from EA.

In any case. I am attempting to d/l a product of ~6GB. And although I have seen speed in excess of 1MB/sec it is very short lived and usually lasts for only several seconds at best. At this point in time it is less than 100KB/sec.

I am confused by the issue as:

I am hooked straight into our router (we are not hooked up wirelessly)

We run firewall & A/V real-time software and watch the modem and do not see any neighbors trying to use bandwidth.

There are no other computers that we have, so no other computers are taking from the connection.

The ping from Origin.com (I don't know if this is the server I am donwloading from?) is an avg. of 79ms. (not the absolute best time but nothing close to accounting for the dramatic slow speed).

We have a 30GB cap and in most speedtests show a download capable speed of ~12Gb/sec.

I have even downloaded from other companies with servers in Europe and would see speed on average over 300KB/sec.

The network reports less than 1% of the LAN being utilized.

I have looked at the solution and it says to cycle the router and reboot computer... I had this issue the last time (which was the 1st time downloading from Origin (that time was a 15GB product) and that was when we had another router and obviousely the computer has been rebooted since then. However during the 1st time D/L'g the 15GB I had stopped the D/L to see if there was anything I could do and the game was never quite right from that point on. Not being able to get addons to D/L and such. And before I resumed the D/L I looked at the Origin console and it said that the product (I think I have this verbatim) had been delivered when I was still many hours from finishing the D/L. So a few strange things there.

The final strange thing is that I have watched without using the computer to do anything for several minutes and it stays consistantly at a very slow speed.<80KB (I think that should probably be Kb) but when I went to click on the window to see what the speed was it jumped up to 3.22MB/sec for several seconds and then pretty quickly stepped its way back down to <80KB/sec. The problem is it doesn't seem to work whenever I want or I would actually spend an hour clicking on the little transfer information box so as to save hour of waiting on 1 D/L to finish (as I have 2 more I need to complete).

I have tried to furnish enough information to narrow down the source of the issue but considering the 2years and 3 pages of people complaining (even after the "solution") I have my reservations about anyone taking this seriousely to help the people that pay for online gaming/downloads... I assume the company is doing quite well and does not need to worry about the issue of people spending hours and hours trying to finish a download without complications/interuptions but if someone took a serious poll of how much money is being lost by people no longer purchasing product from the company due to the unexplained, very long amount of time downloads the stock holders would be absolutely flabbergasted... I would be if I were such a person and unless I can find a reason and thus hope for a solution I will no longer purchase/obtain products this way if I continue to deal with this company. It's frustrating.

I'm sorry to whomever comes looking for answers although I would love to hear form those that have found solutions.

===

Edit: Add

Forgot to mention that Origin.exe takes up the better part of 90% of the CPU.

Wondering if the Origin application thinks that it is in the background and thus the strange erratic d/l speeds? Although one would hope even if it is in the background it would not so dramatically drop.

Message 23 of 66 (2,718 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Origin should try better with downloads. I wasabout to play Titanfall it downloaded more stuff! Frown WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 24 of 66 (2,672 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

It only took an hour to download?

I'm downloading the Sims 3 starter pack.

So I'm downloading the base game.

I left it at 3% come back in the morning it's 12%.

It stinks!

Message 25 of 66 (2,660 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm getting the same problems too... I began to download the Sims 3 Starter pack and installed the base game. I started at 2:15 EST and now its at 42% at 6:13 EST.

tcgokhan8 wrote:

I bought a digital download  of sims 3 seasons and it was placed onto my origin account. it only took about ten minutes for it to download to my computer. I then began installing it onto my sims 3 game, but it took 8 hours. WHY?...This is not the first time this has happened. All the games I have ever gotten from origin and tried to install onto my computer, they have all taken many hours. I'm really starting to get frustrated. Why is this happening!

Message 26 of 66 (2,650 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm having the same problem. i got a new computer and needed to redownload the game to this computer so i got on my origin account and started the dowload for my sims 4, it's been going for 15 - 20 min and it's only on one percent. I don't think it's a problem with the computer or the internet because when i do other things they work fine. I've been DYING to play this game and so far i've only had problems!! It's getting frustrating!

Message 27 of 66 (2,603 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried reinstalling origin, restarting my computer, restarting the download, and I know for a fact that my internet is fine because the rest of my family uses it ans it works great for everybody. I'm honestly all out off ideas, I started downloading my sims 4 and it took around 15min to download 1% of the game, so i waited around for a few hours and it only got to like 29% and stopped. I'm so mad now. I bought this computer mainly so I could play my sims cause it doesn't work on my laptop and all I have is problems and once that problem is solved there's a new problem. 

Message 28 of 66 (2,591 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am currently downloading SIMS 3 onto a new I5 laptop. It is downloading at a speed of 245 kbsec.

I started this at 6pm and now it's 21:26 and it's at 50%. I was wondering why EA wishes to impose such a high carbon foot print and as such EA is acting unethically. The board is likely to be presented before an investigation for such matters. Comparisons would be made against other similar companies.

Regards.

Message 29 of 66 (2,540 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I originally purchased SWTOR on Origin, and it took about 12 hours to download, I figured it was because of the hotel's crappy guest wifi.

Been a while since then, so I had actually forgotten about that untill I tried to download Dragon Age Inquisition. 8.5 hours. That's just silly. I used to download 20 or so MP3's via torrent on dialup faster than that.

They ain't going to do anything about it. In the old forum there was a thread just like this one, only it was 20 pages long, and the finally just stopped replying, and even locked it lol.

Just lock the thread guys, and walk away whistling like nothing happened. Yeah that'll work.

Message 30 of 66 (2,533 Views)