Re: OriginClient update minimising my games. (Infuriating)

by Hutchie91

Original Post

OriginClient update minimising my games. (Infuriating)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Hi, so all of a sudden now, whenever I'm play EA titles launched from Origin; Need for Speed, Battlefield, Mass Effect etc now and then I'll get Windows User Account Control pop up asking me permission for some sort of Origin Client Service update. The thing is, is that it will instantly 'alt+tab' out of the game to display this pop up. Not only is this distracting me from the game, but when playing multiplayer titles like BF1 more often than not, it gets me pointlessly killed.

It never used to do this, it's only been doing it since around the beginning of February. Is there any fix for this? I'm guessing maybe some sort of Origin update has brought this up?

Cheers.

Message 1 of 12 (395 Views)

Hi, @Hutchie91

Does this problem persist after downloading the update? Did you notice an error message on completing the last origin update?

Message 2 of 12 (379 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@DarkBanishing wrote:

Hi, @Hutchie91

Does this problem persist after downloading the update? Did you notice an error message on completing the last origin update?

Well, whenever I boot up my PC, Origin and Steam boot up with Windows, and if there is any Origin updates, it always download/install them then straight away. And considering there's no error messages and everything is working fine and I can access my games and multiplayer, I'm assuming everything is working fine.

Whenever I get UAC popping up about this Origin Client process, I just click yes to allow it permission and then nothing happens. I just go back to my game until it happens again like maybe 40-60 minutes later.

In the mean time I've had to disable UAC in Windows. I just don't get why I'm just getting this problem now. I've been using Origin for about a year now, being an Access member from that time too.

Message 3 of 12 (364 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, @Hutchie91

Do you still have this issue when you start up origin manually?

In the origin client --> origin tab --> Application settings --> in client update menu untick "start up origin automaticaly"

Then restart your computer and see what happens.

Message 4 of 12 (353 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@DarkBanishing wrote:

Hi, @Hutchie91

Do you still have this issue when you start up origin manually?

In the origin client --> origin tab --> Application settings --> in client update menu untick "start up origin automaticaly"

Then restart your computer and see what happens.

I'll re-enable UAC in Windows and then give this a try. Although I'm going to be pretty this week so not sure how much game time I will get to properly test this but I will keep you updated.

However, wouldn't it be a good idea to keep Origin updated automatically? Or is this just purely a troubleshooting step?

Message 5 of 12 (345 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@Hutchie91

Checking if the issue is affected by changing the "start up Origin automatically" is a troubleshooting step.

Just FYI and not super helpful but having Origin update automatically and having it start automatically on bootup are two separate options.

barry.png
Message 6 of 12 (341 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry wrote:

@Hutchie91

Checking if the issue is affected by changing the "start up Origin automatically" is a troubleshooting step.

Just FYI and not super helpful but having Origin update automatically and having it start automatically on bootup are two separate options.

Hi, yes, the issue still happens when I disable Automatically Update Origin in the Application tab under the Client Update section.

Message 7 of 12 (318 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Hutchie91

You need to untick  "start up origin automatically" so that you'll have to start it up manually. (see my second post for a how to)

Message 8 of 12 (304 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@DarkBanishing wrote:

@Hutchie91

You need to untick  "start up origin automatically" so that you'll have to start it up manually. (see my second post for a how to)

Sorry, Automatically Start Up Origin was under a different section. Ive ticked that off now, as for the Client Update section, shall I keep "Automatically  update Origin" ticked on as well, and only have Start Up Origin Automatically with Windows ticked off?

Message 9 of 12 (297 Views)

Community Manager

@Hutchie91

You should deselect both automatically update Origin and start up Origin automatically.

Let us know if this helps at all please.

barry.png
Message 10 of 12 (295 Views)