Ask. Answer. Be the Hero.
Keeper
lordn3rull
Accepted Solution

Origin won't start, doesn't launch, fails to run after update - FIX

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've had this problem for a week and EA customer support couldn't help - waited for 6 days for an escalated case to get answered and no luck. 

The symptoms are:

After updating Origin, it would not start. A small black DOS-like window would blink for 0,001 sec and then nothing.

When I checked the Updatetool_log file (search for it on your system drive including hidden folders), it would say 

[2013/6/13 18:29:5.546] Starting v1.0
[2013/6/13 18:29:5.546] Registry operations
[2013/6/13 18:29:5.546] Origin.exe is running. Waiting for it to close.
[2013/6/13 18:29:5.750] C:\Program Files\Origin\Origin.exe exists.
[2013/6/13 18:29:5.750] C:\Progrbm!Files\Origin\OriginTMP.exe does not exist.. Last error: [3]
[2013/6/13 18:29:5.750] ***** Ending

Note the Progrbm!Files bullsilovecensoringhit in there. In fact, I reinstalled the game three times in various folders and it was always 9th and 11th character of this path that got screwed, resulting in Origin failing to start.

Obviously I tried manual uninstalling, reinstalling, shutting down by antivirus/firewall, disabling other applications and whatnot.

Waste of time.

If you have the same problem, here is the fix that worked for me:

Go to the folder where you installed Origin. You should have Origin.exe and OriginTMP.exe among other files in there. Rename your Origin.exe to something else (or delete it altogether) and then rename OriginTMP.exe to Origin.exe . 

Launch Origin.exe - it should work.

Oh and if Simcity throws errors at you and says that it has to close, try going to Origin preferences and disabling Origin in-game functionality.

UPDATE:

I've had this issue yet again (srsly EA, can't fix it when a user gives you the exact details of what's wrong? Fail) and origin failed to work immediately after my fix.

Made it work with the following:

- reinstalled origin (normal uninstall - install)

- reapplied my fix after a failed update

- after running origin, it landed in active processes but nothing really happened

- waited 1 minute, then double clicked origin.exe again

- this finally caused the login window to show and everything went ok from there

UPDATE 2:

In case your bloody origin STILL refuses to run after all of the above, try turning off background applications. For example, I have a Gigabyte HD Radeon 7770 Graphics card and I use Gigabyte's OC Guru II application that allows me to overclock the card (which I use to prevent it from overclocking automatically, which AMD cards like to do unasked, because it **bleep**s up certain games for me... never mind). However, this little application gets into some sort of memory conflict with certain other applications - Blizzard Launcher for example, or Origin.

So, try that too if you're still in trouble.

Acolyte
assassinak5

Re: Origin won't start, doesn't launch, fails to run after update - FIX

thank you, after much searching i finally found this answer and it actually worked

Keeper
istoilov

[ Edited ]

It works perfectly for me too, many thanks!

Keeper
matthewknight

That works!!! Well done on finding this answer... not so well done EA!

Keeper
lordn3rull

I've had this issue yet again (srsly EA, can't fix it when a user gives you the exact details of what's wrong? Fail) and origin failed to work immediately after my fix.

Made it work with the following:

- reinstalled origin (normal uninstall - install)

- reapplied my fix after a failed update

- after running origin, it landed in active processes but nothing really happened

- waited 1 minute, then double clicked origin.exe again

- this finally caused the login window to show and everything went ok from there

Keeper
joanisturnon

[ Edited ]

For those who can't find originTMP.exe anywhere: try turning off your anti-virus, or resetting (or even deleting) anti-virus/firewall exceptions for Origin, then reinstall Origin. After that originTMP.exe might appear.

Or you can try this fix: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8228961.page

Keeper
jkummo

I disabled Gigabyte's OC Guru II application and bam it works. no for a fix so the can run at the same time?

Keeper
joanisturnon

THANK YOU!

So it is an AMD graphics card compatibility issue after all, at least in some cases. By the way, if you run Origin first and then start the OC Guru, they work together... Now I wonder if it solves issues I've been having with some games.

Keeper
artgogoon

Thank you so much! 

Your method didn't work for me initially, but i uninstalled origin,

deleted all leftover files in the origin folders - reinstalled it again. 

Finally worked!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Keeper
khadafi27

I had the same problem. I just created the directory "C:\Progrbm!Files\Origin" and placed the OriginTMP.exe in it