Origin Store Language Change

by pakeneminen

Original Post

Re: Origin Store Language Change

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Sure we understand exactly what is going on. After all questions like these have been asked since 2009 - and we've seen them marked solved and/or closed before...

What goes on is that this is a forum made to attract the anger and frustration of users, not a forum where anything actually can be solved through.

So, keeping in mind the obvious purpose of this forum, sure, this is totally solved - it's not bothering anyone from EA at anytime... problem solved!

Message 221 of 258 (975 Views)

★★ Novice

Add me to the list of people that will not buy a single game from Origin anymore - even exclusives.

I cannot understand how such a ridiculous issue is still not solved after 6 years. EA, I am not sure you could try harder at being the worst company in terms of customer service.

This is at worst a total lack of respect, at best a total lack of sensibility for lingual minorities and expats all over the world. You are literally pushing players toward pirating your games when they actually want to give you MONEY for them.

I live in Switzerland. First of all, please know that Switzerland has 4 official languages - German, French, Italian and Rumantsch. My only choice is to have the store in German when I don't speak it. And what about if I wanted to have everything set in English on my computer, which actually is the case? And what if my mother tongue was Chinese or Spanish and I wanted to have the store set in that language, when I can set the client to that language already?

There is no valid technical argument for you not to implement this. If there is one, please let us know. The only message that you are sending right now is that you do not care/do not want to invest time and money for a minority of your customers that have been reporting this issue numerous times for the past 6 (!!!) years.

This is absolutely crazy. And even if for some reason you could not allow all languages in all countries, at least give everyone English and the country's official languages. 

I created an online petition at change.org and will make everything I can to make it go viral. 

https://www.change.org/p/electronic-arts-allow-users-to-change-the-origin-store-language

Message 222 of 258 (954 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Very frustrating,

Studying in Taipei and now in Japan and have to navigate through Japanese and chinese runes to buy anything.

How does this keep getting put off when it is such a essential feature tied so closely and directly to sales? Poor Management!

Message 223 of 258 (874 Views)

★ Novice

Unable to change store language is the very first problem I noticed with Origins 3 years ago, and this problem still persists. The currency can be converted according to user's current geographical location, that's fine, however user should be free to choose the viewing language they want, the location and language should not be tied together forcefully in todays' global environment. To me it's no brainer, I mean do developers of Origin or any EA people who play their own games ever travel abroad to notice this problem? Or what kind of technical difficulty you're having? Even for people who know the language where they're residing, in a lot of cases people do prefer other languages.

EA and Origin, you still have long way to go to even come close to the success of Steam, and that's not just numbers of game available; it's about options and personalization.

Message 224 of 258 (806 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Live in Finland, which happens to have two official languages; Finnish and Swedish.. And I speak only swedish and don't understand a word finnish.. Yet the origin store seems to think otherwise and the only language available is finnish, which makes the origin store page useless to me. Back to Steam!

Message 225 of 258 (796 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Dear EA staff, I present to you a snippit from the user's perspective:

So I encounter the issue of being stuck in Dutch and Euros even though I'm Canadian, my account is set to English, and every game I've ever bought in Origin was while I was in Canada. Admittedly, I only purchased those games on Origin because I was forced to. EA only released them on Origin. If they were on Steam, I'd buy them on Steam. Today was going to be the first exception.

Alright, no problem. On Steam's site, I can just pass the 'cc=ca' parameter in the url. I see 'nl-nl' on Origin's site, so I'll just switch that to 'en-ca'. Nope. I get smacked right back to Dutch language and Euro prices. Not allowed to change that one.

I search a little to figure out how to change it, and I encounter a thread of the problem from 2009. Okay, good. That means that they've fixed it by now, six years later.

Hmmm... Looks like that thread got locked in 2011 and Origin staff pointed everyone to a now broken link saying that even they cannot get the problem recognised despite being EA staff. http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/165/6436521.page That really doesn't leave me with much encouragement over the fate of Origin. Their own staff have no sway over the internal bureaucracy.

Well, I'm sure that in the four years since then, they've sorted it... wait... this is another thread... for the same problem... active two weeks ago. 'Resolved' with another 'I have no sway within my company but I hope they'll fix it for you guys?' response. http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/Origin-Store-Language-Change/td-p/56676/page/20 Ummmm...

These guys are still doing a terrible job of building good faith among the gamer community after all this time. Such is the fate of EA. I guess I'll make that purchase with Valve instead.

Thanks for understanding.

Message 226 of 258 (655 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The worst part of this geolocation * is that I have difficulty purchasing with a credit or debit card while in a different country in addition to having the store in another language. By difficulty I mean that it is impossible to do it. I have to VPN my way back to my country to buy things on Origin or use different means of paying. Luckily I can use a VPN, but it's ridiculous that I have to.

Message 227 of 258 (608 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Then how is it?

You cant purchase in your language when are living in other country

But by other EA rule, you will be banned if use a proxy to purchase a game

Then whats thew solution?

I admit never moved to other country then no problem. But I always believed, until read this thread, than store language depend of your account

Message 228 of 258 (593 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just want to add my frustration to this as well, not that it seems to solve anything. In Switzerland and getting the store page in German, even though my profile language and my client language are set to English. I only bought some games on Origin because they came with the last Humble Bundle. Those will probably remain the only Origin games I have unless they can fix this.

Message 229 of 258 (507 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same problem here. Subscribe your petition Standard smile keep up

Message 230 of 258 (491 Views)